Pre War Webley Mark I Box Repair

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman
Pre War Webley Mark I Box Repair

Post by Leonardj » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:58 pm

A while back, I was sent a boxed pre-war Webley Mark I, for the purpose of rebuilding the gun and to repair the box as best possible.
Permission from the owner was received to post the box repair.

The lower tray was in pretty good shape, and only required gluing and reinforcing of the corner seams, however, the lid required a bit more attention - one end was completely missing.

A piece of the appropriate gauge of cardboard was carefully cut, fitted, and glued into place.

A piece of very slightly yellowed, older newsprint paper was then glued in place in an attempt to replicate the inside liner paper.

I was unable to source any sort of raised pattern paper that would even come close to replicating the original cover paper, but after some experimentation, I ended up using a photocopied panel from one of my own early Webley boxes, and enhanced the colour to my satisfaction. While the end result is not a raised pattern, it does a pretty good job of matching up visually.

The outer covering is started inside the box, to match the original wrap over, and then up and around to the top of the box. In an effort to avoid too much of a tell-tale clean edge at the top of the box, the top edge of the new paper was scuffed up a bit with a small wire brush, giving it a little bit of an aged look. Not perfect, but certainly a vast improvement over what it was.

The completed box lid. The owner was very pleased with the restoration.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Pre War Webley Mark I Box Repair

Post by Certus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for the very informative post which will hopefully encourage others to attempt at least limited repairs in the sympathetic manner you have outlined.

I have made limited repairs myself, but these have been mainly restricted to strengthening corners etc.

Although I always prefer to store my older Webley pistols in their original boxes if possible, I have sourced good quality reproduction boxes for those I don't have boxes for rather keep them in boring old pistol covers etc.

Thanks again.

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Pre War Webley Mark I Box Repair

Post by pmh » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Excellent post Leonard, and not a piece of sellotape in sight :D

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<