Never owned a Webley & Scott, would like too,help req

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
dnic
Never owned a Webley & Scott, would like too,help req

Post by dnic » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:37 am

Hello,

First off, what a breath of fresh air this site is, very enjoyable and informative people here.

As my subject header says, I have never owned one of the greatest manufactures of all time,products. So I am looking at acquiring my first Webley & Scott (about time at 60 years young)

I want to be able to use the pistol, not storing it away or putting in a display cabinet. I have a preference for .177 calibre (current guns are all .177) that is not to say a .22 is out of the question, have a few tins of.22 in my box.

There has been a vast number of models and variants made by them, which type should I be looking at, being honest a genuine English made model,is what I want/need.
Needs to be easy to maintain with spares available should anything need to be fixed. I have small to medium hands, so grip size would be a consideration.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

David

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Never owned a Webley & Scott, would like too,help req

Post by Certus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:59 pm

dnic wrote:Hello,

First off, what a breath of fresh air this site is, very enjoyable and informative people here.

As my subject header says, I have never owned one of the greatest manufactures of all time,products. So I am looking at acquiring my first Webley & Scott (about time at 60 years young)

I want to be able to use the pistol, not storing it away or putting in a display cabinet. I have a preference for .177 calibre (current guns are all .177) that is not to say a .22 is out of the question, have a few tins of.22 in my box.

There has been a vast number of models and variants made by them, which type should I be looking at, being honest a genuine English made model,is what I want/need.
Needs to be easy to maintain with spares available should anything need to be fixed. I have small to medium hands, so grip size would be a consideration.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

David
Hello David,

As you rightly say, Webley have been producing these iconic pistols for many years starting with the "Straight Grip" "Mk1" right back in 1924. After the war the company continued producing the "Junior", "Mk1" and "Senior" models using the "Slant Grip" first introduced in 1935. By 1964, Webley combined the best features of the "Mk1" and the "Senior" within a new model called the "Premier".

The earlier "Premiers" were of all steel construction until the introduction of the alloy framed "Mk2" in the mid-1970s. It is the earlier "all steel" frame model that I believe would be best suited to your particular requirements. The "Premier" went through a number of minor design iterations during its life, each identified by a letter (A-F) stamped on the side of the frame.

My preference would be for one the all steel examples rather than the later alloy framed Mk2. The "Premier" is basically a "Senior" with the addition of the trigger adjustment facility inherited from the "Mk1". The pistols are well engineered, compact, reliable and capable of good accuracy when used correctly. Stripping, servicing and repairs are simple with spares for most models readily available from either John Knibbs International or Chambers.

You should be able to pick up a fully serviceable .177 "all steel" "Premier" in reasonable cosmetic condition for something in the region of £100-£150 with better or boxed examples attracting quite a bit more. The standard grips should be OK for you, although replacement hand carved wooden grips can be obtained should you need something smaller. The alternative would be to go for a "Junior", but these are a bit low powered and also smoothbore so not really suitable for anything too serious.

Buy the best you can afford as these pistols rarely sell for less than the price originally paid, but beware it can be a slippery slope once you get started, with so many of these lovely pistols you may now feel you must own.

Regards

Brian

dnic

Post by dnic » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Brian,

Thank you for the brief history of the Webley & Scott air pistol, a most informative and interesting read.

I appreciate the guidance on which model to look at. A premier it shall be for my first Webley & Scott (quite taken by the word "premier" as the model for my very first one)

Well said Sir "The slippery slope" I know it well, just joined this illustrious website this week and already bought two pistols. Time for a Webley & Scott.

I would be grateful if you could keep your eye open, in case you see something that in your opinion would be suitable for me.

Once again, many thanks for your reply.

David

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:23 pm

An 80s or 90s Tempest is probably the cheapest way to pick up a Webley.

I got a .22 one for about £60

Not a fan of .22 pistols, but it was cheap, and there seems to be plenty around.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:49 pm

pmh wrote:An 80s or 90s Tempest is probably the cheapest way to pick up a Webley.

I got a .22 one for about £60

Not a fan of .22 pistols, but it was cheap, and there seems to be plenty around.

Kind regards,

Phil
Hi,

Phil is quite correct with his assertion that the "Tempest" is probably the cheapest way to obtain your first Webley pistol, but for me anyway, it would have to be one of the earlier "all steel" examples made prior to 1975. The later pistols are fine, but they do not reflect the same high standards of the earlier pistols made before production costs forced the change to cheaper materials and fewer engineering processes. I have nothing against the "Tempest" and own two myself, but if I wanted just one pistol that represented everything from the golden age of British air pistol production it would be a Senior" or a "Premier". As I say, they are an investment so my advice would buy the best you can afford.

Regards

Brian