Under powered?

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Damned squirrels
Under powered?

Post by Damned squirrels » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi again guys/gals so I decided to get my hands on a webley mk1 slant grip. And my first impression was as expected, but then as I got to shooting it I quickly realised it is very under powered. I was just about hitting what I was aiming at, but that was it just hitting no penetration (plastic bottle) at all.
So I quickly went online and ordered a new piston washer, breach seal and main spring. And even with these modifications (and minor butchering of the breach seal to get it to fit) it still majorly lacks in power. Can anyone shed some light on what might be the issue?

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Under powered?

Post by kj68 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Hello mate I would of thought the breach seal washer would have been the culprit for the low power, have you checked the spring as well.

Rgds kj68 :think: :)
Happy Shooting

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Under powered?

Post by Certus » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Hello,

There are only a few things that can affect power which should be addressed by a process of elimination starting with the breech washer. As you have already replaced the washers and mains spring with presumably correct lubrication, there is little else that can go wrong. The breech washer must be in good condition to work efficiently, so I hope it wasn't damaged during the re-work to make it fit. The Webley Mk1 should produce 3-4 ft/lbs of energy when running correctly, so plenty of power at reasonable ranges.

You could try some different pellets although I doubt this would affect things much. I use RWS Hobby which perform quite well in all my Webley pistols including the Mk1.

Regards

Brian