Pre-war Webley Junior pistol questions

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Chris-S
Pre-war Webley Junior pistol questions

Post by Chris-S » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi All

If anyone has a pre-war Webley Junior pistol and would like to contribute the details to my database, the information I need is as follows:

1 Serial no: J ****

2 Barrel - short (6") or long (6.5")

3 Grips - wood or metal

4 Rear sight - Fixed or Adjustable

5 Address - Includes LONDON or not

6 Inspector mark - Letter(s) in various positions: (1) Left side in front of trigger guard, (2) Underside behind trigger guard, (3) Left side behind grip

7 Trade Markings - (1) Pistol title plus full patent list, (2) none, (3) Standard with pistol title, British patent and principal countries, (4) Late with pistol title, manufacturer and 'Made in England', (5) similar to but slightly different from (4) and with B'ham 4 (area code).

8 Trade markings - Type (3) above includes word ALL or not

Any of the above details, also any differences not mentioned, would be gratefully received, but the serial number is fundamental. Any further details such as invoice or other documentary/anecdotal evidence would be brilliant.

I am sure between us we can tie down these variations reasonably tightly - ATB Chris S.

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Pre-war Webley Junior pistol questions

Post by Leonardj » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:34 am

Hi Chris,
I posted the serial numbers and other requested details for my two pre-war Juniors over on the AGBBS, but I somehow missed your request for "other documentary/anecdotal evidence".
So, a bit of additional info on SN J121:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/681456/m ... own+Junior" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris-S

Post by Chris-S » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:30 am

Hi Leonard

Many thanks for the extra info - there are some nice pistols on that site.

ATB Chris.

Mark Tommo

Post by Mark Tommo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi I am new to the site,and would be very grateful for any info you may have regarding
my Webley junior .177

Engraved as follows
J5422. Barrel is 6.5 inch long which protrudes further than the cylinder,and has a fixed sight.
The grips are metal. Engraved on the l/h side,
THE WEBLEY JUNIOR .177
PATENTED IN GREAT BRITAIN No 219*72 (*= 2 or 8 I'm not certain).
AND ALL PRINCIPAL COUNTRIES
Above and slightly behind the trigger J5422, and MADE IN ENGLAND
engraved on the rh side WEBLEY & SCOTT Ltd BIRMINGHAM
On the end of the cylinder 422

The Pistol seems to be in working order although I cannot see daylight through the barrel.
It belonged to my Grandfather. Can you tell the date of manufacture.

Thanks
Mark

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:19 pm

Hello Mark,

The first production air pistol made by Webley was the adult sized Mk1 introduced in 1924. By the end of 1928 preparations began for serial manufacture of the smaller 'Junior' model which got underway in 1929. The first pistols (J1000-J3000) were fitted with wooden grips which were quickly replaced with the much more common (steel) or so called 'Tin Grips'. For a brief period somewhere between Ser Nos J1000 - J5000 the pistol was also fitted with a windage adjustable rear sight, but this had disappeared by 1933 when the original fixed rear sight became the standard. Based on the Ser No and fixed sight arrangement, I would date your 'Junior' to around 1933. Webley produced around 34,000 of these first series 'Juniors' between 1929-1938 before the war intervened. Production of a slightly re-styled second series resumed after the war and continued right up until the alloy framed Mk2 'Junior' replaced it in the mid 1970s.

Although Webley products are no longer made here in the UK, the name was retained and all Webley products are now made in Turkey.

As the barrel on your pistol seems to be blocked, you will need to ensure that a pellet has not become stuck. If the pistol can be cocked, you could discharge it in the normal manner while obviously pointed in a safe direction. Otherwise, you should attempt to gently clear the barrel using the correct .177 cleaning rod.

These early 'Juniors' are quite collectable and in good condition can fetch anywhere between £100-£150 when they become available.

Regards

Brian

Chris-S

Post by Chris-S » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Mark

Many thanks for sharing the details of your pre-war Webley Junior air pistol with us. I have added them to my database. The British patent number should be 219872.

I think Brian has given you all the necessary details concerning your pistol but if you want to pursue this further then the book you need is 'Webley Air Pistols' by Gordon Bruce. Latest research is calling into question some statements in this book, but it is a very good and readable book and is by far the best book on the subject, in fact as far as I'm aware the only one devoted exclusively to this subject.

But do be careful, it's a slippery slope once you have one of this manufacturer's air pistols - before too long you may find you have one, or two, or three more!

ATB Chris S.

Mark Tommo

Post by Mark Tommo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi Brian, Chris.
Thanks very much for the info, I will have a look at the book mentioned, and try and clean the barrel as suggested.
Cheers again,
Mark.