New guy with Webley questions please

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Arv
New guy with Webley questions please

Post by Arv » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:04 am

Hi all my names is Arv, I'm new to pistols, and have never used one,  I have a few questions I would hope to get answered on here before I make my choice and buy my first pistol.
Webley tempest looks nice but is it accurate enough for say your bench rest comps?
Does the webley Alecto out perform the tempest with regards to acuracy and trigger?

Out of the two which one would you buy and why, or for the money is there something better?

I must apologise for so many questions but this forum looked like the place to ask, so here I am
8)

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:43 am

Hello.. Webley would be good for benchrest comp... not sure if Alecto qualifies as its fairly new. Mods will advise you better than I.
Alecto will have the greater accuracy and trigger, but Webley has a nice sweet trigger.
Would I buy an Alecto?.... not even if it was a gift! lol... sorry, I dont feel that the Alecto is my type of pistol personlly. I'll probably receive a torrent of abuse for saying that. I do have 3 other types of SSP, so this type of propulsion MSP is ok with me. However having said that, an Alecto does have the qualities that many others prefer.
Why not get one, and the other later on.
There are many alternatives out there, and I'm sure other members will advise you of their preferences.
Welcome.
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:30 am

Hi there.

The Tempest would certainly fit into the catagory of 'classic' where as the Alecto is a comparitively recent model.

Ive owned a number of Tempests and for a brief period an Alecto so this is my view.

As regards accuracy, trigger and general performance the Alecto is superior to the Tempest. It offeres variable power - one cocking stroke for low power, three for 5ft/lb+. I found the trigger light, smooth and predictable. Being as its a SSP there is no recoil and its possible to achieve excellent accuracy. However, I didnt like the style or plastic construction. The grip wasnt comfortable and a shooting session using the higher power setting was like doing a workout in the gym. It would without doubt perform much better than a Tempest at benchrest.

The Tempest has a comparitively heavy but predictable trigger. They generaly put out 3ft/lb+. There is noticeable recoil being as they are springers but with practice can achieve good results. More of a challenge to shoot from a benchrest - again because of the recoil but its simply a matter of practice to compensate. The last in a long line of iconic classic pistols that hold their value and will always remain desirable.

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Far better put than my post :)
At what point in the future would we consider an Alecto (for example) as being "Classic"?    Mind you... I've been misinterpreting "Classic" with "Veteran" or "Vintage"!
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:42 pm

mitchell301:1364 wrote:Far better put than my post :)
At what point in the future would we consider an Alecto (for example) as being "Classic"?    Mind you... I've been misinterpreting "Classic" with "Veteran" or "Vintage"!
Good question - very difficult to answer though!

I would say that its when a consensus emerges that a particular make, model or type is a 'classic' - how long this will take will vary

What do other folk think?

JonW
Plinker
Plinker

Post by JonW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:21 pm

I did wonder whether my Gamo Compact would be too modern but they have been in production since the 1980's so it at least qualifies as 'retro'.
I would agree about 'classic' status though, it is to do with the general consensus. I think it can be granted 'classic' title for design, age, rarity or for the guns personal history ie celebrity ownership, last or first produced, used to win a certain event, used in film etc etc. Just my opinion on the matter.  :)

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Compact

Post by zunmik » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:01 pm

JonW:1368 wrote:I did wonder whether my Gamo Compact would be too modern but they have been in production since the 1980's so it at least qualifies as 'retro'.
I would agree about 'classic' status though, it is to do with the general consensus. I think it can be granted 'classic' title for design, age, rarity or for the guns personal history ie celebrity ownership, last or first produced, used to win a certain event, used in film etc etc. Just my opinion on the matter.  :)
For me the Compact is a classic, a recoless pistol with target grips at an affordable price i've owned one ever since they first appeared, and would not be without one its always been my fall back pistol if things are not going well i reach for the Compact, and i soon get my shooting back on line. They are of course to light, easily fixed with stick on weights, plus the trigger screw needs changing for one slightly longer so that you can adjust it. This done you have a great long lasting pistol. My oldest is i think
 about 30 years old, and is still used on a regular basis, M. :)
Last edited by zunmik on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Arv

Post by Arv » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:54 pm

I was just about to buy a Alecto, then I saw these posts and wonder if I'm making the right choice, the accuracy appeals to me, but the plastic don't.

So my question is help!! :D
What gun is a nice retro style made well with good trigger and accuracy?
Similar price ish...

JonW
Plinker
Plinker

Post by JonW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:34 pm

Don't be put off by the plastics, they are engineering composites and not in any way toy like. My Gamo is predominantly plastic and to be honest I am enjoying the fact that I don't have to Ballistol everything after use.
The Alecto will be far more accurate than a Tempest but only you will be able to answer whether it will be more rewarding to own and shoot.
If it helps at all, I have a 1987 Tempest mint in it's box but it only comes out to play once in a while. It is the Gamo that gets the lions share of usage.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Phew, thats a tough one!

I guess that youre looking for something new

If its a pneumatic your after then the multi pump Crosmans are a pretty vintage design - they are reputed to be accurate and with a few tweaks nice to shoot

As regards an single stroke pneumatic the Weirhauch HW75 has been around a while is superbly accurate with a wonderful trigger - pricey though

Springer wise the Wiehrauch HW45 has also been around for a while and once the recoil is mastered is accurate with  great trigger

I will take this opportunity to once more recommend the Benjamin EB22 single shot CO2 pistol. Needs a trigger shoe at the very least but shoots beautifully and is virtually unchanged since the 1950's. Compact and near full legal power out of the box. Astonishingly accurate for such a compact pistol. Very noisy though!
http://capa.myfreeforum.org/about193.html

Others will of course take a different view - which is as it should be

:)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Hello Arv,

And welcome to the forum.

Which gun is always a difficult one.

The Gamo Compact is an excellent pistol indeed. I often score the same as I do with my ROHM Twinmaster Top.

It is certainly a gun which can be used in the benchrest competition.

Mine dates from around 1988 or so.

They can be picked up on Gunstar for around £100 to £110 at the moment.

I do prefer the triggers on the earlier ones though.

Another cheap alternative, and excellent gun is the Weihrauch HW40.

An excellent all rounder with a nice trigger. £80 to £90 on Gunstar.

I just picked one up for the gun club on Saturday. This one is in excellent condition, has the original box, and was collected for £80.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Arv

Post by Arv » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Thanks very much guys for taking the time to answer my questions, its so very much appreciated. :wink:
I've never shot a pistol, so its all new to me.
so today i shot the Webley Alecto in the gun shop today, around 7 yards standing and my first two shots were both high but about 15mm appart directly above the centre target, so zeroed to my eye I would say with practise it could be rewarding.

I come from a target background (spring rifles HW97's) and expect the gun to place the pellet where I put it, then I'm happy.
Any mistakes are me and not the gun, so I'm not frustrated ,just require practice.
I will go take another look, at the weekend, the Gamo ticks all the boxes but may be too light for me as I'm used to heavy guns.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the the HW 75 was, but I've not tried one so can't comment, but it doesn't look like a target comp pistol, more a replica etc. the 45 is good power but again not convinced its going to offer me the rewards I'm looking for.

Hmmm...

Edit: didn't see you post Phil , but interesting post thanks, maybe I should try the Gamo before I make judgement in its weight...
The HW 40 I have not seen yet, again thanks for your input mate :wink:

chriscp1991

Post by chriscp1991 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:43 pm

i wouldnt underestimate the hw75, ive heard its an extremely capable pistol in the right hands :D the hw45 (spring alternative) is also extremely good.highly recommended.

kind regards,

chriscp1991

JonW
Plinker
Plinker

Post by JonW » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:49 pm

If you have a look at the Gamo, don't forget that you are supposed to shape the grip for your own hand so it may not feel right straight away. If it feels light then I have seen many shooters add weight at the muzzle end.
Good luck and have fun, gun shopping is almost as enjoyable as shooting them!  :D

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:56 pm

Ive owned a number of HW45 & 75's and have always found the build quality and performance outstanding. I have to admit though they are not good looking pistols - its a shame that Weihrauch went for the 'replica 1911' look instead of a more functional and traditional air pistol appearance. Despite owning a number of air pistols manufactured to look like cartridge pistols I do struggle a little with the 'replica' concept - I guess I like air pistols to look like air pistols as opposed to pretending to be something else......