New guy with Webley questions please

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
peteswright

Post by peteswright » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:15 am

Hi Arv. If you do get the 45, from my experience, I would advise not to get overly concerned about how to hold it, though I suggest comfortably firm. The most important part of getting groups, is absolutely no movement of sights, and perfect trigger press. Zero and group at 10ft on half power first, then move further away. This is so as to get used to its characteristics. Its an unforgiving gun, but a great gun. ATB. Pete. PS. Geco's, lots of em!!!
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Gamo PR45, P17s, 1377, SMK rifle, HW 40, HW 45, HW 75, Gamo AF10, Hatsan mod 25, Tanfoglio Witness, Crosman 357, Browning Buckmark. Webley tempest. John Beatie holsters.

Arv

Post by Arv » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:50 pm

peteswright:1442 wrote:Hi Arv. If you do get the 45, from my experience, I would advise not to get overly concerned about how to hold it, though I suggest comfortably firm. The most important part of getting groups, is absolutely no movement of sights, and perfect trigger press. Zero and group at 10ft on half power first, then move further away. This is so as to get used to its characteristics. Its an unforgiving gun, but a great gun. ATB. Pete. PS. Geco's, lots of em!!!
Great advice Pete thanks ;-)
I'm a very patient guy and will persevere with it.

the HW I found and paid for yesterday has standard grips, that I feel are a little small for me, I prefer the black star type, question, can I get these grips for mine, or is there a different fitment?

Regards
Arv

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:19 pm

There is an in between grip you can get, often from ebay, which is a rubberised wrap around similar to the Pachmayr combat grips.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 pm

I do almost all my pistol shooting outdoors. I use HW 45's in both .177 and .22. Mostly it is plinking done at 10m minimum, and out to about 30m+ with just a tiny bit of holdover required at the further distances. I learned to use these pistols at half-power, and have become so accustomed to this that I now very seldom use full-power. As Pete says..Geco's are a good pellet for HW45's, but I've found that JSB exacts seem to be the pellet that my pistols prefer at the longer ranges.
Like any springer, HW45's require time, trial, error etc before a user's best hold etc is developed by themselves..... Its like learning to ride a bike.....It'll be mastered eventually, and then never forgotten. Grips may seem "thin" at first, but there's always a hold that can be developed to use them to best effect.  You've made a good purchase.   By the way.. I've tried scopes, Red-dots, hologram sights etc on these...... but found that good old iron-sights are best.
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Arv:1454 wrote:
peteswright:1442 wrote:Hi Arv. If you do get the 45, from my experience, I would advise not to get overly concerned about how to hold it, though I suggest comfortably firm. The most important part of getting groups, is absolutely no movement of sights, and perfect trigger press. Zero and group at 10ft on half power first, then move further away. This is so as to get used to its characteristics. Its an unforgiving gun, but a great gun. ATB. Pete. PS. Geco's, lots of em!!!
Great advice Pete thanks ;-)
I'm a very patient guy and will persevere with it.

the HW I found and paid for yesterday has standard grips, that I feel are a little small for me, I prefer the black star type, question, can I get these grips for mine, or is there a different fitment?

Regards
Arv
The frame of the standard HW45 and Black or Silver Star is different so the latter wont fit the standard pistol. Personally I have found that Pachmeyer wood and rubber grips provide a much better hold

Arv

Post by Arv » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Just realised I can't multi quote. :wink:
Thanks again for the good advice, I had an idea the grips wouldn't  fit, thanks for proving that Ian.

I have 5000+ exacts from 2008, as my 97 refused anything else, glad really as they've doubled in price almost. :cry:

Agreed Mitchell, open sites is good, not sure if I could shoot or see a target at 30 yards mind, that said my eyes ain't the best anyhow.

Will look on the bay for some different grips, cheers Phil .

JonW
Plinker
Plinker

Post by JonW » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Ooh, looks nice with those fitted grips on. Never seen them before and they look like a big improvement on the standard ones.

Arv

Post by Arv » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Ian is that Beeman P1 similar to a HW 45?

JonW
Plinker
Plinker

Post by JonW » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:42 pm

In the US Weihrauch is marketed as Beeman. They formed a close working relationship many years ago and jointly developed the HW80 specifically for the American market I believe.

Arv

Post by Arv » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Look at that, I never knew that :D
That opens a few windows for me  :wink:

JonW
Plinker
Plinker

Post by JonW » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Absolutely, the American after market is much bigger than here. You may find a huge selection of grips for the HW45 searching under the beeman name.  8)

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Arv:1460 wrote:Just realised I can't multi quote. :wink:
Thanks again for the good advice, I had an idea the grips wouldn't  fit, thanks for proving that Ian.

I have 5000+ exacts from 2008, as my 97 refused anything else, glad really as they've doubled in price almost. :cry:

Agreed Mitchell, open sites is good, not sure if I could shoot or see a target at 30 yards mind, that said my eyes ain't the best anyhow.

Will look on the bay for some different grips, cheers Phil .
My eyes aren't too good either lol... but, as I said, its just plinking at those distances. We use empty 1/2litre "lucozade" bottles, upturned on top of garden canes. The bottles are of slightly thicker plastic which is quite durable. As they are long and slender, windage has to be taken into consideration as well, but.... you'd be surprised how big they seem through open sights. Being bright orange, they are very visable too.
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 pm

JonW:1467 wrote:Absolutely, the American after market is much bigger than here. You may find a huge selection of grips for the HW45 searching under the beeman name.  8)
Even better you could just search for Colt 1911 grips!

The lower frame of a standard HW45 is virtually identical to a cartridge firing 1911 - thus there is a lot of choice on the net including ebay

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 pm

>This< chap has been used many times, by UBC members, and does some very nice grips.

Even though he is in Thailand, people don't seem to have had any trouble.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Arv

Post by Arv » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Cheers Phil
They look nice.

I received pistol tonight, and it was pitch black outside so had to improvise for a quick play.[/img]