New guy with Webley questions please

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
JonW
Plinker
Plinker

Post by JonW » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Absolutely, the American after market is much bigger than here. You may find a huge selection of grips for the HW45 searching under the beeman name.  8)

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Arv:1460 wrote:Just realised I can't multi quote. :wink:
Thanks again for the good advice, I had an idea the grips wouldn't  fit, thanks for proving that Ian.

I have 5000+ exacts from 2008, as my 97 refused anything else, glad really as they've doubled in price almost. :cry:

Agreed Mitchell, open sites is good, not sure if I could shoot or see a target at 30 yards mind, that said my eyes ain't the best anyhow.

Will look on the bay for some different grips, cheers Phil .
My eyes aren't too good either lol... but, as I said, its just plinking at those distances. We use empty 1/2litre "lucozade" bottles, upturned on top of garden canes. The bottles are of slightly thicker plastic which is quite durable. As they are long and slender, windage has to be taken into consideration as well, but.... you'd be surprised how big they seem through open sights. Being bright orange, they are very visable too.
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 pm

JonW:1467 wrote:Absolutely, the American after market is much bigger than here. You may find a huge selection of grips for the HW45 searching under the beeman name.  8)
Even better you could just search for Colt 1911 grips!

The lower frame of a standard HW45 is virtually identical to a cartridge firing 1911 - thus there is a lot of choice on the net including ebay

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 pm

>This< chap has been used many times, by UBC members, and does some very nice grips.

Even though he is in Thailand, people don't seem to have had any trouble.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Arv

Post by Arv » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Cheers Phil
They look nice.

I received pistol tonight, and it was pitch black outside so had to improvise for a quick play.[/img]

Arv

What recoil?

Post by Arv » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Wow, what a pistol I got home late tonight, had a play, I shot 50 pellets, 20-30 getting it zeroed and then just trying to get tight groups as possible.

For a first nights play with a spring pistol I was getting 20mm groups at 9 yards rested

I must say I got this second hand and its like brand new, 3 weeks old when the guy sold it for £200, happy bunny me is.
a bit twangy and dieseling for the first 10 -20 shots , but I would say things will settle after the first 500.

I really look forward to trying a comp with it, I don't think I will get massive scores but never the less I love to have a go.

Roughly three sets of groups, started too high and slightly left, then over done it with adjustment and then too far right, then bang on, the bottom group is what I finished with.

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Re: What recoil?

Post by Plinkit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Nice choice and well done for not going for something that is easier to shoot. I really struggled with the standard grips on mine after a while my hands became really sore.

I stuck these on mine great grips.

Arv:1509 wrote:I really look forward to trying a comp with it, I don't think I will get massive scores but never the less I love to have a go.

I remember a comp Ian once ran for the HW45 gotta say it was inspired and brilliant.  :D
>>>This space has been reserved for a witty signature<<<

Arv

Re: What recoil?

Post by Arv » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Plinkit:1510 wrote:Nice choice and well done for not going for something that is easier to shoot. I really struggled with the standard grips on mine after a while my hands became really sore.

I stuck these on mine great grips.

Arv:1509 wrote:I really look forward to trying a comp with it, I don't think I will get massive scores but never the less I love to have a go.
That looks so good with them grips ;-)

I remember a comp Ian once ran for the HW45 gotta say it was inspired and brilliant.  :D

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Maybe a "one-off" HW45 comp on here later this year perhaps?
2 categories: 1.with or 2.without mod grips  :D

All the mod grips I've seen look very good, and by all accounts, can make a big difference. Looking at them makes me very tempted to purchase a pair.
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

Arv

Post by Arv » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 pm

I'm not sure if these triggers have two stages, but although its very shoot able , I would like to learn how to adjust it to my liking, I can see the two grub screws  but wonder if there is a PDF or set up guidelines I could use?

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Plinkit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks Arv they are Hogue wraparounds I got from Midway but their website seems to have changed so I cant point you to the correct ones.  :(
>>>This space has been reserved for a witty signature<<<

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Glad to hear you you like your choice of pistol, and are settling in well.

You'll probably obtain dieseling for a tin of pellets at least.

The secret, for me, is to get used to the gun, let it settle in, then try a few different types of pellet through it, to see which group best.

My recommended pellets, from budget, through mid range, to high end are:-

Geco
RWS Hobby
RWS R10

Kind regards,

Phil

Phil
M0KPH

Arv

Post by Arv » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:50 pm

Many thanks for the info on adjustment, I managed to set my 97 up perfectly, but with safety in mind, I don't want to be able to knock the gun and it goes off, so would like to have a PDF I can download and put in with gun for when I forget.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Not got a pdf, but a link to the owners manual, web version, is >here<

You should be able to copy and paste it into a word document.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Arv

Post by Arv » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Just what I was looking for, many thanks  :wink: