More Webley Oil Cans

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
More Webley Oil Cans

Post by Certus » Sun May 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Hello,

Below are some pictures of my Webley Oil Can collection starting with the pre-war version. This is a well made reproduction which are reasonably easy to copy as the labels were paper and early valve spout oil cans can still sourced. I aquired this example with a nice originally cased pre war slant back Webley Senior. Original pre war cans are extremely rare and very expensive although I am currently pressing a fellow collector to part with a very nice example. The main thing to look out for in an original is that it is non-refillable whereas reproduction cans have a removable brass cap.

The following are all original post war cans starting with the first variant which had the spout centred at the top of the can.

Next we have the second version which placed the spout to one side of the top of the can.

Finally we have last and rarest version of the oil can known as the reversible spout can as the spout was stored within the can itself. This version made for a much neater solution if stored with a cased example of the Senior pistol.

These cans were made from just after the war to the late 1950s when they were superseded by the much less attractive plastic orange container. The tin cans cost about 1/6d when new but now realise prices of £100-£200 when they can be found. Unlike the early pellet tins the cans could not be used for storing odd screws etc and were consequently usually discarded when empty leading to scarcity of surviving examples.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Re: More Webley Oil Cans

Post by pmh » Sun May 19, 2013 6:40 pm

I like having such items on display, they are quite an important part of social history.

Sadly to say, the youth of today will lose out on such nostalgia.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<