Turkish Tempest v British Tempest

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Re: Turkish Tempest v British Tempest

Post by zooma » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for reminding me about who made my wooden Tempest grips - I will contact Andy as I would like another set made.

Having read the Tempest section of the Webley Air Pistols book a little further I see a reference to the Tempest De Luxe Model (page 178) that was available as an option after March 1987 that came with "brown simulated wood finish stock plates" ( grips) at an extra cost of £5.00.

I have bought the 1991 .177 Brummie Tempest with brown grips and I now think it must be a Tempest De Luxe Model and I am very much looking forward to its arrival.

Do you have a Brummie Tempest to compare against your experience with the 3 Turks you have had so far? It really is a very interesting comparison and of course an important addition to any Webley pistol collection.

On the same note - I do not have a Webley Mk 1 ( original or new type) in my small Webley collection so if anybody has one for sale - please let me know!
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:42 pm

I have to admit i'm a little shocked, today I shot a Turkish Tempest, and was surprised how good it was not the usual webley wobbly bits, but a well engineered pistol with consistent results i am no fan of webley pistols however i found the Turkish version a pleasant surprise, M :o
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:54 pm

zunmik wrote:I have to admit i'm a little shocked, today I shot a Turkish Tempest, and was surprised how good it was not the usual webley wobbly bits, but a well engineered pistol with consistent results i am no fan of webley pistols however i found the Turkish version a pleasant surprise, M :o

Welcome to the converted........well shocked and pleasantly surprised at least :clap:

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:36 pm

zooma wrote:Hi Brian,

Thanks for reminding me about who made my wooden Tempest grips - I will contact Andy as I would like another set made.

Having read the Tempest section of the Webley Air Pistols book a little further I see a reference to the Tempest De Luxe Model (page 178) that was available as an option after March 1987 that came with "brown simulated wood finish stock plates" ( grips) at an extra cost of £5.00.

I have bought the 1991 .177 Brummie Tempest with brown grips and I now think it must be a Tempest De Luxe Model and I am very much looking forward to its arrival.

Do you have a Brummie Tempest to compare against your experience with the 3 Turks you have had so far? It really is a very interesting comparison and of course an important addition to any Webley pistol collection.

On the same note - I do not have a Webley Mk 1 ( original or new type) in my small Webley collection so if anybody has one for sale - please let me know!

Hello Zooma,

Congratulations on acquiring your new Webley Tempest. The brown grip Tempests must be quite rare as I have never actually come across one during my travels. I have quite a collection of Webley air pistols including nice examples of the early pre-war models. I don't however have a 'Brummie' Tempest to compare with my 'Turks' but I would assume there wouldn't be to much to choose between them. My recent tests have shown the 'Turkish' Tempest to be very tolerant of different pellets with only a small margin between the best and worst groups. As stated in a previous post, the one disappointing feature is the apparent lack of effect of the trigger weight adjustment facility. This has been the case on all three pistols I have tested and wonder if this is also the case with the 'Brummie' examples.

Regards

Brian

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Seeing those comments about trigger adjustments i remembered this blog i was researching something else at the time & came across it by accident, M. :think:

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co.uk ... mpest.html
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:51 pm

As I mentioned during our club tests, I do feel these pistols should be shot with Marksmen, Wasps, and other pellets from the cheaper end of the spectrum, as that was what would have naturally happened "back in the day".

At a push, the shooter might have expanded their horizons, and showed off a little, with Hobby :lol:

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:24 pm

zunmik wrote:Seeing those comments about trigger adjustments i remembered this blog i was researching something else at the time & came across it by accident, M. :think:

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co.uk ... mpest.html

Hi,

Thanks for posting the above link which would seem to confirm the ineffectiveness of the standard trigger weight adjustment on the 'Turkish' Tempest is also present on the 'Brummie' model.

Regards

Brian

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:34 pm

pmh wrote:As I mentioned during our club tests, I do feel these pistols should be shot with Marksmen, Wasps, and other pellets from the cheaper end of the spectrum, as that was what would have naturally happened "back in the day".

At a push, the shooter might have expanded their horizons, and showed off a little, with Hobby :lol:

Kind regards,

Phil
Hello Phil,

I have now tried quite a few different .177 &.22 pellet makes and weights in my 'Turkish' Tempests and as I say have not found it to be particularly pellet fussy in either calibre.

I have finally settled on the RWS 'Hobby' as it provided just about the best groups in both calibres, is reasonably cheap to buy and cuts a nice crisp hole in the target.

Regards

Brian

zooma

Post by zooma » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:00 pm

My 1991 Brummie Tempest De Luxe with brown grips arrived in the post this morning.

The pistol came in the original box with all the correct documentation and it looks like new.

As I was admiring it - it went off! :o

The seller had sent the pistol in a fully cocked position - and the safety was not on either. :naughty:

It certainly made me jump and I am so thankful that there was no pellet inside as it could have been very dangerous - or damaged something ( not so important - but still not good!).

Anyway I will shoot the pistol to make sure having the spring compressed for some time and then being discharged without a pellet inside it has not caused any damage or loss of power.

I may mention something to the seller about sending the pistol in a cocked position as it is just such very bad practice.

zooma

Post by zooma » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:38 pm

I have put a few pellets through my Tempest De Luxe and it does not seem to have suffered any damage from being unintentionally being dry fired so everything is OK and it is in superb condition so I am very pleased with it.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 pm

zooma wrote:I have put a few pellets through my Tempest De Luxe and it does not seem to have suffered any damage from being unintentionally being dry fired so everything is OK and it is in superb condition so I am very pleased with it.
Hello,

Glad your Tempest has not been affected by being posted in a cocked state. What a silly thing to do and given it was cocked it might also very well have been loaded.

As you are probably aware only a very limited run of Tempests were produced from around 1990 with a choice of either standard black or brown plastic grips with the brown grips seldom encountered today.

Look forward to hearing how it performs when given a proper outing.

Regards

Brian

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Certus wrote:
zooma wrote:I have put a few pellets through my Tempest De Luxe and it does not seem to have suffered any damage from being unintentionally being dry fired so everything is OK and it is in superb condition so I am very pleased with it.
Hello,

Glad your Tempest has not been affected by being posted in a cocked state. What a silly thing to do and given it was cocked it might also very well have been loaded.

As you are probably aware only a very limited run of Tempests were produced from around 1990 with a choice of either standard black or brown plastic grips and these are seldom encountered today.

Look forward to hearing how it performs when given a proper outing.

Regards

Brian
I think the name Tempest De Luxe was given to those pistols whose new owners chose to pay the extra £5.00 to have the "wood grained" brown plastic grips instead of the standard issue black ones.

There is a reference to them in the Webley Air Pistols book (page 178) but it seems that not too many customers were prepared to shell-out the extra fiver to change the colour of their plastic grips as so few of them are in circulation.

I note that Chambers list a pair of brown plastic grips for the Tempest in their spares list ( currently out of sock) - I wonder if these are the same "wood grained" types that were fitted to the De Luxe models?

For the same price or less you could have a set of wooden grips made so I guess the only people who will buy these brown plastic grips are those that would like to fake a De Luxe or those that don't know that a hardwood set can be bought for less!
Last edited by zooma on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:56 pm

The Beeman wood grips illustrated in Gordon Bruce's Webley book certainly look nice which is what prompted me to replace the standard plastic grips on my 'Turkish' Tempests. I believe Beeman also marketed the Tempest with a wider trigger blade similar to that on the later Tempests and the current 'Turkish' Tempest.

You are very lucky to have the original packaging which always adds to the desirability of these old Webley pistols.

Regards

Brian