Turkish Tempest v British Tempest

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
pmh
Site Admin
Re: Turkish Tempest v British Tempest

Post by pmh » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:14 pm

Here are a few pictures, I took last Thursday evening, of some of the guns we just had lying around:-

Would anybody like to hazard a guess and name the pistols in the above picture?

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:32 pm

If only you also had a Relum Tornado in these picture IJ would think he had died and gone to airgun haven.

All his favourite air guns in the same picture - what a treat :lol:
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Blackburn Police are used to seeing such a collection, as this is usually what is found around I.Js feet after they pick him up and give him a good shake! :happy-jumpyellow:

"Oh PISTOLS officer, I misheard you. Yes, I am carrying a couple :whistle: "

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:39 pm

In case missed from above post, you may be aware that replacement pistons for the 'Senior' are available from John Knibbs for around £35.

Regards

Brian
Thanks for the info Brian - we will have to see how the repair works first, but if it fails then it is good to know that a new one can still be bought. I thought John Knibbs was the BSA approved spares seller and the Chamberlains was the official Webley spares supplier?

Does this mean that this is a (very useful) re-manufactured part or an original Webley made part ?

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:52 pm

zooma wrote:
In case missed from above post, you may be aware that replacement pistons for the 'Senior' are available from John Knibbs for around £35.

Regards

Brian
Thanks for the info Brian - we will have to see how the repair works first, but if it fails then it is good to know that a new one can still be bought. I thought John Knibbs was the BSA approved spares seller and the Chamberlains was the official Webley spares supplier?

Does this mean that this is a (very useful) re-manufactured part or an original Webley made part ?
Hi,

John Knibbs carries spares for all early BSA and Webley models. Most are not original, but do follow the original specification quite closely with little need for re-work when fitting.

Enjoyed looking at the pictures by the way and will enjoy having a go at the quiz later.

Regards

Brian

Regards

Brian

zooma

Post by zooma » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks to red bob ( he of bell target making fame) I have now managed to find an "as new" Brummie made.177 Tempest that will be on its way to me in the next week or so. :clap:

This means that my older Brummie Tempest can now be used to replicate some of the ideas Grrrrrrr ( Guy on the BBS) has to make a Target Tempest. :geek:

This could be very interesting and we will test and report back on what works and what was a waste of time :doh: - and hopefully we will find something to make the Tempest a better 10 meter target pistol. :pray:

zooma

Post by zooma » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:05 am

My "new to me" Brummie Tempest was used in an "end of night" 10 meter competition at RMTC last night, and apart from the usual heavy trigger the last four of us that were left at "closing time" quite enjoyed using it.

Phil suggested the Tempest should be given to each of the last four of us (that were ready to go home) and that we shot one card each.

Phil shot the first card and then walked down to the butts and returned with his card held close to his chest so that nobody could see where his shots had gone - and the reason for this was because the sights were set as the Tempest was delivered and had not been adjusted by any of us !

The first shot was the first time anyone could see where the pellet had fallen (if you had good enough eyesight beacuse the scopes had been put away by now) so unless you were really lucky the first shot could be anywhere ( mine was in the top right in the 1 or 2 ring!) and from then onwards the good old fashioned "aiming-off" technique had to be employed to try and provoke the remaining 4 pellets to sneak anywhere into the black).

Each of us completed the "Phil Shuffle" as we walked back with our cards hidden so as not to give any helpful clues to the next shooter as to which way the rear sight setting was causing the pellets to land.

Phil's scientific scoring method did not involve too much in the way of higher mathematics but he was declared the "final runner up" and jealousy prevents me from recalling the winners name :snooty: but I sneaked in next just ahead of Graham :dance:

We continue to have more fun with the Webley air pistols than with anything else - including what some would see as "daft" random competitions like this that would never have been suggested with a "serious"match pistol :clap:

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi,

Sounds like you had a great time shooting the Tempest.

These informal competitions often provide better entertainment than the serious stuff and using a 'springer' does level the playing field a bit.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:27 pm

My first shot was by dotting the eye, which turned out to be in the black.

I didn't realise this at the time and anticipated some drop over this distance.

As such I aimed centre black for the remaining for shots.

Bit of a mistake really, as they all went quite high, with one actually out of the target completely.

This was the reason for not letting anybody else see the results, as some clue to aim point could have been realised.

Such little competitions do make for a break from serious shooting, and would recommend that all clubs have a mad half hour.

Work is in progress to finish the 10m range and create an easier to set up 6 yard range, so the comps can be run over different disciplines.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:29 pm

It was good fun Phil - a good idea - well done :clap:

An easier to set-up 6 yard range would be good too and should encourage a few more to take the short trip upstairs to shoot at the National 6 yard distance.

This would also give more shooting for everyone as they can try both distances on the same night.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Hello,

I have now fitted replacement wood grips to my second 'Turkish' Tempest in .22 calibre which is now beginning to loosen up a bit having had around 500 pellets through it.

Although the trigger pull is much heavier than that of the .177 version it does not seem to be any less accurate in this calibre.

As with all three 'Turkish' Tempests I have tested, the trigger adjustment facility appears to have no effect on these pistols. However, the release is crisp and manageable and provided I don't swap pistols between details similar accuracy to the .177 can be achieved. I am really enjoying experimenting with different makes and weights of pellet with the minimum acceptable standard of accuracy being to hold the black aiming area of the NSRA 10 metre precision pistol target.

The 'Turkish' Tempests

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:13 pm

It's a real shame Webley didn't opt for British engineering when re-releasing these guns.

I also find that the gun had to be "learned" for a session, and stuck with, as swapping to another gun really puts me off my thread.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi Brian,

It looks like my wooden grips come from the same maker as yours but I took the makers option of having the finger indents on the left hand grip side.

The hard ending to the thumb ledge right in front of the safety switch was uncomfortable so I eased it off a bit so that my thumb can lay across it and onto the safety lever to give a more relaxed position for the thumb and to stop it having any involvement in the hold.

I cannot remember who made the grips now, but I would like to be reminded as I would like another set made as they are very good, and the small mod that I made is easy to repeat to suite me.

You obviously like your Turkish Tempest's - good to see - and a shame that this excellent British design now has to be made in Turkey.

As I read the book "Webley Air Pistols" by Gordon Bruce I noticed that the never ending underlying company policy was always be to reduce the manufacturing cost of making all of their Webely air pistols - seldom any mention of improving anything - but always looking to reduce costs.

With that factory ethos it is no surprise to see Webley pistols being made in Turkey - what next India or China?

zooma

.177 British Tempest with Brown Grips

Post by zooma » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:33 am

I saw a .177 Brummie Tempest on BBS this morning - one owner from new in 1991 and it has brown grips !

I have not seen one with brown grips on before - does anyone know if these were factory fitted on some Tempest pistols ?

Perhaps they are from a different model ? - but they look good!

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:57 am

Hi,

The grips are indeed very well made and fit almost perfectly especially considering they were matched to a 'Brummie' Tempest during their manufacture.

Just to refresh your memory, they were carved by Andy Davies (BBS AIRGUNNER.177 ) E mail: [email protected] .

A limited run of Tempests were produced from around 1990 with a choice of either standard black or brown plastic grips which are seldom encountered today.

I have always been a staunch fan of the traditional all steel Webley pistols and still prefer their appearance and inherent high build quality, but must admit to enjoying these modern pistols especially as they share the same basic operating mechanism.

Regards

Brian