Mk3 webley

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Eightball
Mk3 webley

Post by Eightball » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 pm

I don't want to make a saga out of my search for an air rifle but I popped into a shop a few miles from my home today which I have never been in before and think I may have found what I'm looking for. The gun was a mk3 webley, the shop owner said it dated from 1961, he should know as it was his own gun handed down to him from his dad. Unfortunately it was not for sale but I have to say it was possibly the best looking gun I have seen ,it had a dark wood stock(walnut?) and was in near mint condition. It just looked stunning and to my untrained eye a beautiful piece of engineering. Would love to hear from anybody with any info about this rifle in regards to quality, performance and what I should expect to pay. Also I don't need one of this vintage especially, we're they being made more recently ? Thanks,Ian

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Mk3 webley

Post by pmh » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Not too familiar with the early Webley rifles. My earliest recollection is the Webley Hawk Mk3.

Having had a look around, there don't seem to be too many MkIIIs around, and the ones I have seen range from the £150 to £190 mark.

However, they can be up to £300 at a dealer, which seems way too excessive. It would have to be good plated and packed with chocolate to command that sort of price!

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 am

Hi

Webley Mk 111 produced 1946 to '75....one of the truly 'great' post war British air rifles.

I had the VERY good fortune to buy one in .22 from a shooting shop in Kidderminster as recently as 2009 for £50 which was an absolute steal at that price as they are now going for around £200. Mine has a small BSA 'cigar' scope and dates - I think - from the late 60's, although I need to check that again with the help of Dennis Hiller's 'Air Rifles' book.

Underlever of course and pretty stiff to cock, but very powerful - has a heck of a twang - and I have great fun at my club using this plinking cans and stuff out to 30/40 yards. Not really for tight group target work although that may say more about my lack of shooting ability.

A great bit of air gun history although not for the faint hearted if you're more used to PCP!
I'm a fan of old air guns and at the silly price that I got mine it was no contest. Whether I'd pay (around) £200 for one I don't know. Nice to have in a 'collection' of rifles, but (probably) not for everyday use if its the only one you've got.

Frank(BaggieBoy)

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:29 am

Back in the 1950s the two air rifles every teenager yearned for were the Webley 'Mk'3 and the BSA 'Airsporter'. I couldn't afford either rifle at the time, so made the most of my BSA 'Cadet Major' which although a lovely rifle, was never really a substitute for the larger more powerful models.

When I regenerated my interest in Vintage air guns some years ago my first two acquisitions were a Webley 'Mk3' and a BSA Mk1 'Airsporter'.

Although the early ribbed fore end 'Mk'3s are nice, I much prefer one of the so called 'bulbous' stock versions from the 1960s. This model can be fitted with a telescopic sight but as the mounts are only spot welded to the cylinder care must be taken to only use one of the light plastic scopes available at the time. I paid £120 for a lovely 1964 example a few years ago and easily sourced a boxed original Webley scope from the same period for just £30.

Having said that, I prefer to use open sights and having had a chance to directly compare the Mk3 with the Airsporter there is no doubt in my mind that the BSA is by far the better rifle. Although the Webley Mk3s often have lovely figured stocks, the Airsporters have the appearance of a live firing sporting rifle thanks largely to the elegant concealed cocking lever.

For me the Mk1 'Airsporter' represents the pinnacle of spring air rifles from that period with the Mk2 being the only other variant I would consider.

Although modern spring air rifles may be a bit more sophisticated in their design, I don't think they can match the quality and sheer pleasure that can be had when shooting a piece of history which looks, smells and performs as well as either of these two rifles.

Of course the added bonus of owning one of these older 'springers' is that they are almost guaranteed to appreciate in value as their numbers inevitably reduce over the years.

Regards

Brian

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:12 pm

I have an Airsporter Mk1 and an Airsporter Mk 2 for sale if anyone is interested - please let me know!

Both are .22 calibre and both shoot well with good power.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Post by bellringer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi. A little more info for anyone that is interested; on the legendary Webley MK III. Production ended W/E 6-12-1975. The last gun was '' F6547 '' .177 cal. made by '' DAVID ''. I can confirm this because I have a photo copy of the bench hands own 'day-book'; this was a book that the workforce kept as their own record of production as they were on the old ''piece-work'' system and had a mistrust of the management not paying out the correct wages. The book is the second of two; the first one vanished way back in time, I was told it never covered the very early production years and have no idea when it was started, sadly despite untold hours of searching the first book has never come to light; however the second book starts W/E 7-11-1964; first gun No:- 44370 cal. not readable; made by '' JOE '' who was a '' leading bench hand '' on the MK III section right up to the end of production. There is a major problem with dating many MK III's because Webley went from 'numbers only', to letter prefixing firstly with the letter 'A' also 'B' and of course 'F': 'C' / 'D' / 'E' were never used; the guys said the firm was ''too tight'' to buy the relevant punches, the problem is that they used 'A' twice ??; so even with this book .22 cal guns were in such large quantities that they appear twice with 'A' prefix's and so are almost impossible to date with certainty. The actual worker can sometimes be identified because there is often a very small extra letter punched in near the serial number and the names appear in the book, although there would be other workers from time to time who used this I/D system but who are not named. I did own the original workers book but it was slowly deteriorating due to oil contamination and was always hard to read on some pages even when it came into my possession in 1976; that book was passed on to someone who is probably the worlds best authority on W & S and who was able to get it preserved. Hope this didn't bore too many people, but I feel strongly that any knowledge like this should be shared if it doesn't hurt anyone and I have lost too many friends over the last few years who had so,so much knowledge, that has now gone from our lives forever that I will happily share any knowledge I have if I think it is true and anyone is interested. bellringer

BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Wow....really fantastic to learn such detail about the working practises at Webley. And much of this just a stone's throw - over the road - from the Hawthorns! Great stuff.Thanks.

BaggieBoy

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:11 pm

An excellent post indeed.

I am interested in pursuing history, as it helps to everybody.

There had been too much lost over the years.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:20 pm

If ever your in Nottingham pop into Draper's they have a fine collection on Mk3's all in superb condition they will make you drool with envy great rifles, M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.