loose barrel?

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Damned squirrels
loose barrel?

Post by Damned squirrels » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi guys I was looking at buying a webley mk1, the ones that are the same shape as the seniors/premiers, and I wondering as they have no barrel catch could they work loose and have the barrel pop out because of the recoil. My dad told me this may happen but i was hoping it was a horror story from only 1 person.

Thanks in advance for your help.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: loose barrel?

Post by pmh » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 pm

As far as I know, all Webleys have a barrel catch.

The earlier ones are a slim version which sits just before the rear sight, as opposed to the later versions which have a thumb operated catch which hangs down.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: loose barrel?

Post by Certus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:31 am

The Webley Mk1 does indeed have a sliding catch which locks the barrel in place after cocking. The Premiers and Seniors have a thumb operated (stirrup) lever on the side of the frame to operate the latch. Both retain the barrel positively in battery when operated correctly.

Strangely, the very first examples of the so called 'Straight Grip' Mk1s (1924) used a single spring attached to the breech block side to retain the barrel. This was soon replaced by a double spring arrangement and eventually by the far more elegant sliding latch. Examples of these ultra rare 'Spring Clip' Mk1s fetch giddy prices on the very few occasions they appear for sale.

Regards

Brian