Turkish Tempest V Brummie Tempest Pt 2

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Turkish Tempest V Brummie Tempest Pt 2

Post by Certus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Some may be aware from a previous post that despite being a 'Die Hard' all steel Webley fan I recently bought a couple of new 'Turkish' Tempests (.177 / .22) in a moment of apparent insanity. Well, as the post reported and having owned and used the pistols for 6 months or so, I now have a grudging respect for these previously unthinkable acquisitions.

I attended the 'Trafalgar' meeting last weekend and came across an original, boxed 'Brummie' Tempest in what appeared to be unused condition. My first reaction was to start looking for obvious differences between this original and my Turkish equivalent which on initial inspection appeared to be not a lot. Anyway, one thing led to another and before I knew what was happening I'd bought the flipping thing.

On arrival back home I compared the two pistols side by side to see what differences if any, I could establish before a 'trial by fire' at my club the next day.

'Brummie' Tempest

'Brummie' Tempest

'Turkish Tempest

'Turkish Tempest'

Summary of the cosmetic differences as follows:

'Brummie' Pistol has:

Glossier epoxy frame and grips.

Barrel latch of a slightly different profile.

Rolled Pins instead of solid pins used on all steel models to hold components in place.

Narrower trigger blade (later 'Brummie' Tempests had a wider blade fitted).

Smaller rear sight adjustment screws.

Slightly different font on Webley logo at side of shroud with additional markings under the front of the shroud.

Slightly superior overall build quality, but not too much to choose.

I have since had a chance to compare the handling and accuracy of both pistols with the following results:

The 'Brummie' Tempest is slightly harder to cock although not too bad when the right technique is used.

The trigger weight and accuracy of both pistols is almost identical and perfectly adequate. Both pistols can regularly hold the black aiming area on an NSRA 10 metre using a one handed stance, which is my definition of adequate.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go for the ''Brummie' model partly due to its slightly superior build quality, but mainly because of the now rarely seen 'Made In England' marking.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Turkish Tempest V Brummie Tempest Pt 2

Post by pmh » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:05 pm

The matt main frame of the Turkish Tempest is certainly a let down, and I am not sure why they choose such a contrasting finish between parts.

It is also a great shame they couldn't continue manufacture in England. It won't be too long before all the "cheap" manufacturers get wise and start demanding a more realistic living wage.

If I were to buy any Webley it would be the Hurricane, as it is the one I remember the most. Good condition boxed ones are still around the £150 mark though.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm

pmh wrote:The matt main frame of the Turkish Tempest is certainly a let down, and I am not sure why they choose such a contrasting finish between parts.

It is also a great shame they couldn't continue manufacture in England. It won't be too long before all the "cheap" manufacturers get wise and start demanding a more realistic living wage.

If I were to buy any Webley it would be the Hurricane, as it is the one I remember the most. Good condition boxed ones are still around the £150 mark though.

Kind regards,

Phil
Hello Phil,

There was a nice boxed Hurricane in similar condition to the Tempest for sale at the Trafalgar meeting for around the £100 mark.

I have never shot a Hurricane, but its general dimensions and superior sights would presumably make it more suitable for target shooting which was always the original intention of the Webley designers.

Regards

Brian

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:07 am

Nice find Brian !

Your conclusions and ours are very similar.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Out of curiosity, does the Turkish Tempest have a model designation?

Could it be a Mk1 Turkish, Mk3 Tempest, or something altogether different?

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:07 pm

pmh wrote:Out of curiosity, does the Turkish Tempest have a model designation?

Could it be a Mk1 Turkish, Mk3 Tempest, or something altogether different?

Kind regards,

Phil

The actual model designation is a bit Fezzy at the moment - but it might become clearer later :clap:
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.