Webley Alecto Mk 1, Mk2, Mk3..........

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Re: Webley Alecto Mk 1, Mk2, Mk3..........

Post by zunmik » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:48 pm

I am so delighted that you do get to shoot your guns I do know 3 blokes who never shoot their guns which I find sad, regarding what threads I read, well I must say I don't read them all just those that reflect my own interest mostly target based shooting. Years ago I used to make one off parts for antique guns for people to restore their antique pieces, but what was an interest became to demanding on my time so I gave it up & that allowed me to concentrate on my target shooting which I still do when I can, atb, M. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

peteswright

Post by peteswright » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:10 am

On the subject of collecting to admire, or shoot our pistols or any other reason to be in the shooting game. I was only thinking yesterday about how little I know about lots of aspects of pistols and rifles from the point of view of spec's, prices, maintenance, dates of manufacture etc. There must be loads of personal reasons for doing what we do. I seem to be in the camp of shooters who like the look, feel, and mainly shooting itself. Its the challenge of getting everything under control and hitting exactly where i'm aiming that turns me on. I'm sometimes not sure which gun i'm shooting till I take a second look. I just pick one up that catches my eye and start the process. Funnily enough I do tend to pick up the more challenging guns rather than the ones I know to be "easy" like the HW75. I can spend all day shooting my Gamo AF10 or HW45 which are unforgiving pistols. I dont even use other than Geco .177's pellet wise. As long as we all satisfy our needs we can all have a lifetime of pleasure from our hobby/ sport. ATB. Pete.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Gamo PR45, P17s, 1377, SMK rifle, HW 40, HW 45, HW 75, Gamo AF10, Hatsan mod 25, Tanfoglio Witness, Crosman 357, Browning Buckmark. Webley tempest. John Beatie holsters.

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Alecto Testing

Post by zooma » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:46 am

I spent most of last night testing an Alecto Mk1 against an Alecto Mk3. I am not a great fan of any air pistol that looks like a real centre fire automatic pistol as I do not think they portray the best image for our sport with the non-shooting members of the general public who are mostly worried about "guns" in general - an attitude fuelled by general poor press from far too many "mischief making" sources.

I am also not a fan of "plastic pistols" and the Alecto is without any doubt a plastic air pistol - and to make matters even worse it is a very large sized lump of plastic that has obviously been styled to look like an oversized automatic pistol.

For those of us that showed concern at the use of alloy instead of steel in air pistols and rifles and then had the shock of seeing the use of plastic instead of wood on pistol grips and then on rifle stocks (!) a plastic pistol is indeed another step away from "proper" engineering and craftsmanship! However it is seen as "progress" by some and the Alecto has had some good reports so I put my natural dislike for pistols of this type to one side and started to have a play with two of them on my home range.

Both of the examples I was using were in "as new" condition - the owner of the Mk1 claiming less than 100 shots had been put through it from new and the Mk 3 was only 4 weeks old and looked and felt like it had never been used!

Both had a very long first stage trigger travel that I reduced to be more comfortable for me and I adjusted the trigger weight a little too. Both were shot with a single cocking stroke which proved to be more than adequate for target shooting use and saved wasting any energy

The Mk1 felt a little more powerful than the Mk3 but both hit the target plate hard enough and punched clean holes and both were surprisingly accurate. The palm shelf could be adjusted to give a reasonably comfortable grip and despite its bulk the Alecto is not a heavy pistol.

Both pistols had "creep" in the trigger - this may improve as they get some proper use and the mating surfaces "smooth-off" a bit but they were both totally recoilless and since my home shooting tends to run fairly late into the night the small but effective silencer that had been fitted to the Mk3 was a bonus.

The Alecto does not sit as low in the hand as I would like but I have to admit that they both shot very well and they were both accurate - and they provided me with a very interesting evening's shooting!
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:33 am

I am in agreement fully about military looking pistols it presents a bad image of us however we appear to be stuck with it sadly, regarding the use of plastics again I agree although I accept some prices may escalate otherwise. I do detest though the way they try to dress up plastics by referring to them as "modern synthetic" materials etc :x , just like they refer to fake now as "faux" its still a Fake. Excuse Rant, back to the Alecto despite plastics it does shoot very well mine had some creep, but a bit of fine tweaking between release point & trigger weight did remove it, I am glad your enjoying a Good webley pistol & hope in time you find the Nemesis pistol you seek, enjoy, M. :D

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:20 pm

zunmik wrote:I am in agreement fully about military looking pistols it presents a bad image of us however we appear to be stuck with it sadly, regarding the use of plastics again I agree although I accept some prices may escalate otherwise. I do detest though the way they try to dress up plastics by referring to them as "modern synthetic" materials etc :x , just like they refer to fake now as "faux" its still a Fake. Excuse Rant, back to the Alecto despite plastics it does shoot very well mine had some creep, but a bit of fine tweaking between release point & trigger weight did remove it, I am glad your enjoying a Good webley pistol & hope in time you find the Nemesis pistol you seek, enjoy, M. :D
At this moment I cannot adjust-out the trigger creep without the pistol firing itself as the breech is closed quickly so I am putting up with the creep at this moment and hoping for a little wear to help the situation without causing the dangerous discharge I get now when I try to go any finer with the adjustment than I have now.

......as a mater of interest - what is the Nemesis trigger like compared to the Alecto?

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:32 pm

The Nemesis has a nice trigger, but a little heavy due to a wobbly agricultural spring I replaced the spring with a lighter one & ended up with an acceptable target pistol no doubt aided by the rare palm shelf I had fitted . I think I use a lighter grip than most for target pistol, and therefore a palm shelf to prevent downward rotation is a must, atb, M.

zooma

Post by zooma » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:15 am

zunmik wrote:The Nemesis has a nice trigger, but a little heavy due to a wobbly agricultural spring I replaced the spring with a lighter one & ended up with an acceptable target pistol no doubt aided by the rare palm shelf I had fitted . I think I use a lighter grip than most for target pistol, and therefore a palm shelf to prevent downward rotation is a must, atb, M.

I know what you mean about the palm shelf although I am getting on OK with your old 6M with the standard grips so maybe the regular shooting of all my pistol collection is teaching me to cope better with a variety of grips.

Having said that it would be nice to find a Nemesis with a palm shelf if possible :think:

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 pm

As mentioned earlier in this thread there is the Alecto Ultra, though not available in this Country, it does have a longer barrel and a muzzle energy of up to 10 ftlbs.

Interestingly enough, it does need 4 pumps as opposed to the usual 3.

A link to further information from the Webley & Scott site is >here<.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<