Webley Alecto Mk 1, Mk2, Mk3..........

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Re: Webley Alecto Mk 1, Mk2, Mk3..........

Post by zunmik » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:03 am

Until you get your manual here's another link with maintaining your pistol info, glad you've finally got a Webley with a decent trigger shame about the sci-fi over the top macho appearance, I enjoyed shooting mine, but the appearance put me off it, M. :)

http://www.webley.co.uk/Images/webleyal ... ctions.pdf
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:32 pm

zunmik wrote:Until you get your manual here's another link with maintaining your pistol info, glad you've finally got a Webley with a decent trigger shame about the sci-fi over the top macho appearance, I enjoyed shooting mine, but the appearance put me off it, M. :)

http://www.webley.co.uk/Images/webleyal ... ctions.pdf
Thanks for the info.

I thought you would be pleased - but it is a weird looking lump of plastic - and as of yet I have not got the trigger to work the way I would like it to - but I do agree that it has potential and as Phil remarked at the club last week if you collect or have any strong interest in Webley air pistols then you should not ignore those that may not be your first choice !

Having said that I have become interested in the Alecto and I am still trying to find out for sure what the difference is between the Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 and how to tell them apart from each other.

At the moment all I know is that the barrel shroud probably had 3 variants - the only changes being related to the scope mount accommodation and that the Mk 3 also had a screw threaded barrel to allow the fitting of a silencer..............and that is just about all I know at this moment !

Any further identification between the various Mk's would be appreciated.

Maybe production records are available as I notice they are all serial numbered ?
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Mine was a mark one bought when they first came out the picture I put up was so that you could see the serial No not much lower than yours
suggesting you have a mark 1, atb, M. :)

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:55 am

Leonardj wrote:Just taking a wild guess here, but assuming that the "Mk x" designation was based on engineering changes:

Mk I - first guns sold with the plain alloy valve unit.

Mk II - the later guns with the chrome plated valve unit.

Mk III - the extended barrel version.

Make sense?
Here is a little more meat to "hang on the bones" and hopefully if we keep gaining information we will eventually have an authentic guide to to be able to identify the three known types with some degree of accuracy.

Mk 1. Silver coloured valve unit with scope rail but no groove on the moulded barrel shroud.

Mk 2. Black coloured valve unit with a cut scope groove on the revised moulded barrel shroud.

Mk 3. Black coloured valve unit with a cut scope groove on the revised moulded barrel shroud and a screw threaded barrel to allow the fitting of the optional silencer.

Left handed grips are available as an option and fit all variants as this area has never been revised in any way.

As more information is gained I will keep this small spec-sheet updated - and I am sure we will also find some small variations within each type as one variant merges into the next and there is the possibility that the production may have overlapped each type a little as well :think:

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks to RedBob we now also know that there is a high powered export version of the Alecto known as the Magnum and this delivers 12 ft/lb.

Bob has also advised us that the Alecto is available in three calibres .177, .20 and .22.

It seems like there is a lot more going on with this plastic pistol than I first thought!

Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Thirdwheel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:45 am

Hi Webleyists
There is a longer barrelled version calld the Ultra the 3in extra barrel gives this version 14% more power with 3 pumps your case foam is already cut out to accept this - well mine is but it is new. see this link http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/20 ... etter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Chambers stock the longer barrel and a Walther replacement one too.
I did not really like the pistol when I first bought it for all of the reasons others have stated BUT it is growing on me as the total package is a good one including the great case not that I hit many targets with it but it does give you a feeling of completeness.

George

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:51 pm

I have thought about an Alecto for some time now but, already having so many other guns, I can't justify the cost getting one just to stick it in a drawer.

Still, after shooting one, I may be convinced.

The variable power is certainly a plus point, but am told it gets quite hard work to continually shoot on full charge.

With regards to looks they are very much a marmite gun. Personally I like the lines, but know of many who do not.

On a final point, are these made in Turkey like the rest of Webley's current pistol offerings?

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:34 pm

The first person to shoot an Alecto on the RMTC range was Fat Stigg and it was consistently accurate at 10 meters on just one stroke so for target shooting more than one pump stroke seems unnecessary and a waste of energy.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:53 pm

zooma wrote:The first person to shoot an Alecto on the RMTC range was Fat Stigg and it was consistently accurate at 10 meters on just one stroke so for target shooting more than one pump stroke seems unnecessary and a waste of energy.
As a matter of interest Bob, have you shot any of your new pistols, be a shame to leave them boxed a friend of mine has hundreds of guns, but never shoots them I find that very sad. M. :|

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:26 pm

zunmik wrote:
zooma wrote:The first person to shoot an Alecto on the RMTC range was Fat Stigg and it was consistently accurate at 10 meters on just one stroke so for target shooting more than one pump stroke seems unnecessary and a waste of energy.
As a matter of interest Bob, have you shot any of your new pistols, be a shame to leave them boxed a friend of mine has hundreds of guns, but never shoots them I find that very sad. M. :|

Yes - I have shot all of my new pistols - and all of my my old ones too! I do not have hundreds of guns like your friend - but I do have a few and every one of them gets used.

I am more than surprised by your question :snooty: - if you were to follow my various threads over the years you would see that I shoot ALL of my air pistols and air rifles as often as possible - and I let fellow club members shoot them all as well!

I have even had to invest in a large wheelie bag to take as many of them as possible to the club twice a week as I cannot carry the weight of them in a normal hand held bag - and even then it is not unusual for me to make 2 -3 trips to the car during the evening to collect various others that are in separate case's that exceed the capacity of my wheeled carrier.

I also shoot almost every night on my own range as well - especially my "oldies" that are not the most accurate match weapons for club use!

I do NOT believe in collecting air pistols (or rifles) and not using them and I do not think it does them any good just to leave them laying idle either - in my opinion they only benefit from being used - especially in an indoor range where they are very unlikely to be damaged or marked.

I also try to encourage others to do the same ( with limited success) but I also respect those that just like to collect examples of each type they like and enjoy them for what they are without feeling the same need to shoot them all like I do.

My pleasure is shooting as many different types as possible and if you were to ever visit our club (RMTC) you would know that the biggest criticism I receive is that I never favour any one of my pistols at a time - I shoot them ALL. :dance:

Naturally this is much to the detriment of my 10 meter competition scores :doh: but since this is what I enjoy doing the most my future scores look unlikely to improve in the near future but my enjoyment levels will remain at the highest levels possible :clap:

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:48 pm

I am so delighted that you do get to shoot your guns I do know 3 blokes who never shoot their guns which I find sad, regarding what threads I read, well I must say I don't read them all just those that reflect my own interest mostly target based shooting. Years ago I used to make one off parts for antique guns for people to restore their antique pieces, but what was an interest became to demanding on my time so I gave it up & that allowed me to concentrate on my target shooting which I still do when I can, atb, M. :)

peteswright

Post by peteswright » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:10 am

On the subject of collecting to admire, or shoot our pistols or any other reason to be in the shooting game. I was only thinking yesterday about how little I know about lots of aspects of pistols and rifles from the point of view of spec's, prices, maintenance, dates of manufacture etc. There must be loads of personal reasons for doing what we do. I seem to be in the camp of shooters who like the look, feel, and mainly shooting itself. Its the challenge of getting everything under control and hitting exactly where i'm aiming that turns me on. I'm sometimes not sure which gun i'm shooting till I take a second look. I just pick one up that catches my eye and start the process. Funnily enough I do tend to pick up the more challenging guns rather than the ones I know to be "easy" like the HW75. I can spend all day shooting my Gamo AF10 or HW45 which are unforgiving pistols. I dont even use other than Geco .177's pellet wise. As long as we all satisfy our needs we can all have a lifetime of pleasure from our hobby/ sport. ATB. Pete.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Gamo PR45, P17s, 1377, SMK rifle, HW 40, HW 45, HW 75, Gamo AF10, Hatsan mod 25, Tanfoglio Witness, Crosman 357, Browning Buckmark. Webley tempest. John Beatie holsters.

zooma

Alecto Testing

Post by zooma » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:46 am

I spent most of last night testing an Alecto Mk1 against an Alecto Mk3. I am not a great fan of any air pistol that looks like a real centre fire automatic pistol as I do not think they portray the best image for our sport with the non-shooting members of the general public who are mostly worried about "guns" in general - an attitude fuelled by general poor press from far too many "mischief making" sources.

I am also not a fan of "plastic pistols" and the Alecto is without any doubt a plastic air pistol - and to make matters even worse it is a very large sized lump of plastic that has obviously been styled to look like an oversized automatic pistol.

For those of us that showed concern at the use of alloy instead of steel in air pistols and rifles and then had the shock of seeing the use of plastic instead of wood on pistol grips and then on rifle stocks (!) a plastic pistol is indeed another step away from "proper" engineering and craftsmanship! However it is seen as "progress" by some and the Alecto has had some good reports so I put my natural dislike for pistols of this type to one side and started to have a play with two of them on my home range.

Both of the examples I was using were in "as new" condition - the owner of the Mk1 claiming less than 100 shots had been put through it from new and the Mk 3 was only 4 weeks old and looked and felt like it had never been used!

Both had a very long first stage trigger travel that I reduced to be more comfortable for me and I adjusted the trigger weight a little too. Both were shot with a single cocking stroke which proved to be more than adequate for target shooting use and saved wasting any energy

The Mk1 felt a little more powerful than the Mk3 but both hit the target plate hard enough and punched clean holes and both were surprisingly accurate. The palm shelf could be adjusted to give a reasonably comfortable grip and despite its bulk the Alecto is not a heavy pistol.

Both pistols had "creep" in the trigger - this may improve as they get some proper use and the mating surfaces "smooth-off" a bit but they were both totally recoilless and since my home shooting tends to run fairly late into the night the small but effective silencer that had been fitted to the Mk3 was a bonus.

The Alecto does not sit as low in the hand as I would like but I have to admit that they both shot very well and they were both accurate - and they provided me with a very interesting evening's shooting!

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:33 am

I am in agreement fully about military looking pistols it presents a bad image of us however we appear to be stuck with it sadly, regarding the use of plastics again I agree although I accept some prices may escalate otherwise. I do detest though the way they try to dress up plastics by referring to them as "modern synthetic" materials etc :x , just like they refer to fake now as "faux" its still a Fake. Excuse Rant, back to the Alecto despite plastics it does shoot very well mine had some creep, but a bit of fine tweaking between release point & trigger weight did remove it, I am glad your enjoying a Good webley pistol & hope in time you find the Nemesis pistol you seek, enjoy, M. :D

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:20 pm

zunmik wrote:I am in agreement fully about military looking pistols it presents a bad image of us however we appear to be stuck with it sadly, regarding the use of plastics again I agree although I accept some prices may escalate otherwise. I do detest though the way they try to dress up plastics by referring to them as "modern synthetic" materials etc :x , just like they refer to fake now as "faux" its still a Fake. Excuse Rant, back to the Alecto despite plastics it does shoot very well mine had some creep, but a bit of fine tweaking between release point & trigger weight did remove it, I am glad your enjoying a Good webley pistol & hope in time you find the Nemesis pistol you seek, enjoy, M. :D
At this moment I cannot adjust-out the trigger creep without the pistol firing itself as the breech is closed quickly so I am putting up with the creep at this moment and hoping for a little wear to help the situation without causing the dangerous discharge I get now when I try to go any finer with the adjustment than I have now.

......as a mater of interest - what is the Nemesis trigger like compared to the Alecto?