Webley & Scott

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
bellringer
Marksman
Marksman
Webley & Scott

Post by bellringer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Nice to see W & S get their own section . I think many of the ''knock Webley'' brigade lose the point, Webley never set out to my knowledge to make ''classic'' air guns; I think this accolade has been accrued; by people, who over the years have owned and enjoyed shooting with the marque in general. I agree that like for like comparisons should only apply to relevant periods and certainly no other British Air Gun Manufacturer has produced pistols for so long a period; so they must have done something right. I will accept that during the latter years all Webley airguns suffered in relation to the guns that Germany produced in lots of respects,but this was down to managerial decisions on investment and the fear that no one wanted to pay for a British air gun, the prices that were being charged for German guns. I know the pneumatic and twin piston rifles could have been brilliant with some investment but this was always denied in preference to cheaper manufacture methods for mass production. Also in the 70's I know many British air gun makers were looking over their shoulders in worry, about bans or restrictions on air guns which thankfully did not happen, but did cause a plethora of safety catches to appear as this was thought to be a major part of the new laws. . In my opinion Webley had in the early years genuinely innovative ideas and like many other British manufacturers were not afraid to put these ideas into production, but WW II halted a lot of things and I think we never had a real recovery after that with regards to innovation. Just a bit of my input and thought; with a bit of inside knowledge for good measure, I think we should all just be a bit proud of what was achieved in good old GB by lots of gun makers and the fact that old British Air Guns are still coveted all over the world must say something for them. So to the 'antis' keep up the dissent for your corner and for the 'pro's' you can respond with your pride; and please everyone remember there is a freedom of discussion here which many countries would never allow. bellringer

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Webley & Scott

Post by pmh » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:42 am

Certainly, in my mind, one of the key successes of Webley is that they never gave up.

They came up with a basic design that they improved upon over the years. They quickly learned their place and stayed there.

Like them or not, they are certainly an iconic manufacturer with a solid place in airgun history.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<