Webley Pistols Barrel Rifling

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
bellringer
Marksman
Marksman
Webley Pistols Barrel Rifling

Post by bellringer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi all; belated Happy New Year to everyone. I notice that rifling in pistol barrels crops up regularly, and here's a bit of food for thought from my box of useless memories in the depths of what serves as my brain. If you have a Webley pistol with a "composite" barrel assy. as on Typhoon/ Hurricane etc. Just take a peek down the barrel and see what you have for rifling; there are two very distinct versions but you may need to compare with a forged barrel if you are not familiar with the amount of twist to expect. Some barrels are in fact 'pistol' rifled, but some have a much more severe twist much as you would expect in a rifle barrel. This is because that is what you have; the firm had problems with a batch of steel which didn't stand up to being on a rifle, so the barrels were cut up and turned down to make pistol barrels, they would reduce power output a bit, but were accurate, as you would expect. Not sure if I mentioned this elsewhere on the forum, so sorry if I am repeating myself, but maybe some members may be interested. bellringer

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Webley Pistols Barrel Rifling

Post by pmh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:42 pm

Interesting post, which I am sure will get a lot of people checking.

If my memory serves me right I think Whitworth determined that the best rifling was one turn in twenty inches.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Post by bellringer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:10 pm

Wow Phil, quick reply, and another interesting bit of information; I hadn't come across the Whitworth info before [to my knowledge] so that gives lots of us another excuse to delve into old shooting books looking for info about 'lost' historical facts. :text-goodpost:

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:38 am

Hello,

Thanks for posting these interesting bits of information. It's only by recording this kind of detail that we can explain some of the apparent anomalies that seem to crop up from time to time.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Found a little bit more information on Whitworth >here<.

If you goto "Design and features" it mentions his 1 turn in 20".

Quite pleased I actually remembered something!

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<