Webley Junior - help needed.

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Webley Junior - help needed.

Post by zooma » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:47 pm

Help needed with Webley Junior Air Pistol Please.

I bought a Webley Junior air pistol some time back - it worked well enough but the barrel joint screw ( part number J19) had been replaced by a large spilt pin (!).

Since then I have found a new joint screw and checked that it fits OK on another Junior but it will not to screw into the spring guide (part number J4) on this Junior - presumably the use of the split pin for an unknown period of time has damaged the screw thread inside the spring guide.

The barrel joint screw will turn into the spring guide about two turns but then it stops dead.

The usual tricks of trying to follow the screw thread grooves inside the spring guide by hand with a hardened point have failed , and easing the screw in and out trying to make small progress and then reverse to "break the chip" have also failed as the joint screw still stops dead at the same point every time so I need to find or borrow a "tap" of the correct size to run through the spring guide to clean-up the damaged thread.

The thread used by Webley looks to be a very fine and I have nothing like it in my workshop and I have no idea what it is.

Does anybody know what type of screw thread Webley used to cut these threads please? (about an M5 size).

Once I know what the thread actually is I can then start to try and find a tap of the correct size to fit it - unless anyone has a correct size tap that I can buy or borrow to clean-up this thread?

Please let me know if anyone has a suitable tap I can buy or borrow or even advise where I may be able to find one.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Webley Junior - help needed.

Post by bellringer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:16 pm

:handgestures-thumbupright: Hi, from bellringer. The thread you are looking for is .180" x 50tpi [probably Whit form] they were made by a company called 'Lyndon' not far from where I live but I can't seem to trace them at the moment, they may not exist any longer. However I have one tap which I re-ground the end of, it had been broken at some point previously, and was scrapped at the factory; however I have used it on several occasions since and it seems ok. You are welcome to borrow it; and if you think it can be improved on, you can re-grind the end no problem. As it is so rare sadly I can only offer it on loan, but as I said you are very welcome. Let me know what you decide. bellringer [Ray]

zooma

Re: Webley Junior - help needed.

Post by zooma » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:38 pm

bellringer wrote::handgestures-thumbupright: Hi, from bellringer. The thread you are looking for is .180" x 50tpi [probably Whit form] they were made by a company called 'Lyndon' not far from where I live but I can't seem to trace them at the moment, they may not exist any longer. However I have one tap which I re-ground the end of, it had been broken at some point previously, and was scrapped at the factory; however I have used it on several occasions since and it seems ok. You are welcome to borrow it; and if you think it can be improved on, you can re-grind the end no problem. As it is so rare sadly I can only offer it on loan, but as I said you are very welcome. Let me know what you decide. bellringer [Ray]

Thanks Ray,

That would be great.

Now the Christmas rush is over I will get that Model 60 with the Tyrolean stock packed up for you.

If you send me an email with your address I will get it away to you this week.

ATB - Bob.

zooma

Re: Webley Junior - match grade trigger !

Post by zooma » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:52 pm

This sad little Junior pistol is now a lot happier and shooing really well.

However I may have overdone the polishing a bit as it now has a "match grade trigger" :doh:

I will take it to RMTC tomorrow night as it could be good fun with some Hobby pellets at 6 yards - and I am sure it will surprise anyone that uses it as the trigger is every bit as light as a match pistol