Hi from South Devon.

Take the opportunity to introduce yourself.
Atslan
Hi from South Devon.

Post by Atslan » Thu May 01, 2014 3:36 pm

As a newbie, just introducing myself.

My name's Nathan, but seem to use Atslan as a username almost everywhere.
Originally from Essex, but lived in Japan for over eight years. The only shooting I did in Japan was 'airsoft', those gas/battery powered lookalikes that fire 6mm plastic BBs on semi or full auto (still have a few of them!).
Been back in the UK for a few years and now live in South Devon where there is plenty of room for target practice with the airguns and longbows.

I don't belong to any target clubs, but enjoy target practice or rabbit hunting when work schedule allows.
I own a .22 BSA Lightening, a .22 BSA 240 Magnum pistol and a .177 Original 6G. All bought new.
The 6G was gifted to me at least 30 years ago and the 240 I bought a good 20 years ago. The Lightening is not yet a year old.

The 6G seems to have lost a seal or something as it can't push a pellet through the barrel, but I can't part with it as it such a part of my childhood and was a cracking pistol. Don't think I'll ever be as good a shot with the 240 Magnum. The Lightening is fun, but I'm not sure it was the best choice for rabbiting. Used to have a .177 Weihrauch rifle that was gifted to my brother when I got my 6G, so wish I had hung on to it, but at the time I was living in an area where there simply wasn't room to use it.

Warm regards,
Atslan

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Hi from South Devon.

Post by kj68 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi Nathan welcome to the forum nice bunch of people on here, im sure one of the guys will help you out with the seal problem on yr 6G. Anyway enjoy the forum. :banana-dance:

kj68 :)
Happy Shooting

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu May 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Hello Nathan,

And welcome to the forum.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Atslan

Post by Atslan » Thu May 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi kj68 and Phil, thanks for the warm welcome.
Any advice on the 6G would be gratefully received as it certainly would bring my childhood years flooding back if I could get her plinking again. I did attempt to open her up, but had second thoughts as I know nothing about the guts in these things. I've had gearboxes and pistons in bits on the old airsoft rifles, but I did have expert guidance the first time.
I can't help much with technical stuff for airguns to any members, but should anyone fancy taking up archery (old school longbow), I'm more than happy to share what I know about fletching and arrow making in general. :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu May 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Many people avoid fixing the themselves, as they can be tricky.

Lawrie Armatruda (the legend) or Dave Mercer from the Airgun BBS are recommended for resealing such guns.

Lawrie is on the BBS as himself, Dave is dm80

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Atslan

Post by Atslan » Thu May 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Cheers for the info,

I really should be thinking about getting the 6G working again. Feels like just a chunk of metal at the mo... an attractive chunk to be fair tho!

She used to be such an accurate pistol and no recoil to speak of!
My 240 Magnum kicks like a mule and I always seem to shoot poorly with it. I guess having the 6G through my childhood mean that I got very used to it!

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:02 pm

Hello Nathan there is no reason why yr 6G wont shoot nice again, let us see some pics when you finally get her built and working well. ;)

kj68 :)
Happy Shooting