Hello from South Devon

Take the opportunity to introduce yourself.
BaggieBoy
Hello from South Devon

Post by BaggieBoy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi Everyone

Pleased to have discovered CAPA as I'm a 'classic' air gun enthusiast...especially pistols.

Now at the 'veteran' stage my first air pistol was a MILBRO - Diana Model 4 - back in the mid '60s which I used for garden plinking. Sad to say, having kept the pistol for 30 odd years - complete with box etc - I then threw it out. Stupid boy!!

But, I started air gunning again with our son about 15 years ago...more back garden plinking. That lasted for a couple of years or so but then I took up muzzle loading and small bore rifle shooting at the Worcester Norton Club. However, the facilities at Worcester also included a nice air gun range and increasingly I found myself hanging round there to see what the guys and girls were using. Fast forward and we are now living in Torbay and I'm continuing my shooting with the Torbay Fullbore Club and have also joined the South Devon Air Gun Club which has a nice range in a former quarry just up from the River Dart at Galmpton. That's mostly a FT/HFT club but I go up mid week afternoons for a plink with my rifles and pistols...I have a collection of ten of the latter now. A couple of CO2 but mostly 'springers' which are my first love. Having lived most of my life in the West Midlands I've an affection for Webley and BSA firearms and air guns. I'm always on the look out for Webleys and I'm also a great fan of GAMO who have produced some intersting stuff over the years and at a good price. To this day my favourite pistol for 'everyday' use is my GAMO Compact which I bought second hand for £65 in Birmingham around fifteen years ago and is (still) absolutely great to use.

That's already too much from me. I look forward to hearing from other members. Is there any 'classic' air gun activity going on in this part of the world that I don't know about?

Cheers.

BaggieBoy

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Hello from South Devon

Post by pmh » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:36 pm

Hello,

And welcome to the forum.

There are many shooters out there who prefer the "classic" airgun to today's offering of badly made CO2 replicas.

One of the reasons for this forum was as a central hub for like minded people to exchange information, etc, on the classics, and you'll find a wealth of information on here.

If it hasn't yet been posted, then no doubt somebody will be able to help.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

wmp50075
Plinker
Plinker

Post by wmp50075 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:37 pm

welcome to CAPA a fantastic place to be if you are a fellow classic springer pistol enthusiast. you may be interested to know that I currently work in weaman street, brum. nostalgic or what.....................

personal message me if your curious.

wmp50075
(ex stirchley, now Redditch)

p.s. could BaggieBoy be a west brom fan?

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:37 pm

Welcome to a man of great taste, the mk4 was my first pistol, and the "Compact" is my everyday pistol I currently own two, one set for 6yd bell target (poa = poi) the other for 6yd paper target. Not a fan of Webley pistols, but like many of their rifles. my favourite springer pistol is the Record Jumbo, followed by the Magnum 240, enjoy CAPA, and I hope you find it useful, atb, M. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Hi again

No, no surprise there...I was first at The Hawthorns in August '63 and I've been a West Brom season ticket holder every season since 66/67 ie I still travel back for home matches. But, hey, nearly everyone down here seems to support a West Mids team. There are part of Paignton that were known as 'little Birmingham' back in the 1950s.

BaggieBoy

Vyand

Post by Vyand » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Hello and welcome.

Big Steve

Post by Big Steve » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Welcome
Baikal MP654K Gen1 Oupeaat, Gen2 Grom, Gen3 Thor, Gen4 Demimak & Gen5 Tatiana
Makarov Pistol Association http://makarovpistol.myfineforum.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Welcome to CAPA.

When I lived in Exmouth we used to pop down to Torbay for an evening out now and again - what a lovely part of the country to live in.

The last time I came down to Paignton we called by Exmouth on the way home and to my utter amazement the club that I started in the mid-seventies was still shooting in the same place that I last frequented in a church hall in Littleborough just before the entrance to Sandy Bay.

The Exmouth Air Pistol and Rifle Club brings back many happy memories for me as well as the Exmouth Small-Bore and Rifle Club and both are worth a visit if you venture across that way.

Back then I used to be able to shoot a lot better than I do now - that is where it all started for me when we organised competitions against other "local" clubs such as Taunton Air Weapons Club and visits to RAF Cosford to shoot in the NARPA finals every year and the Sophia Gardens in Cardiff for the NSRA finals.

Happy Days start in South Devon!!
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:42 am

Hi Zooma

Thanks for your comments.

Yep, lovely part of the world although here in Torbay we are out on a limb a bit from the shooting point of view.

Have read some 'historic' stuff re the club at Exmouth....and I get the impression that there is still some organised air gun shooting there but would welcome some update as to what goes on these days.

All the best.

Frank (BaggieBoy)

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi Frank,

I have not heard anything about the Exmouth Air Pistol and Rifle Club for some time - unfortunately - so I do hope they are still going now.

If you do have any historical information you can email to me about them I would be really pleased to receive it and download it for my scrapbook!

Being "out in the sticks" is not so bad when you can shoot in the 6 yard MPL and other similar competitions.

Stay in touch - Bob.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.