Hello from Dumfries

Take the opportunity to introduce yourself.
Eightball
Hello from Dumfries

Post by Eightball » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi my name is Ian an expat Essex boy living in southwest Scotland. I've always had an interest in air pistols and rifles since I was knee high. Diana sp50 from my paper round earnings and then about 20? Years ago took as a part ex for a small sea fishing boat an air arms tx200 and a webley, an eclipse I think which to my constant irritation I sold on for a ridiculously small amount, needed the money at the time! On a recent visit to my mums she was asking if there was anything I would like to take home (meaning my stuff that had been there since '84).I Thought she meant some of my dads stuff,he had died 3 years earlier. So here is my reason for visiting your forum. I have now come into possession of a webley mk1 pistol from the online research I have done I think it is very early. It has a straight handle with walnut grips also I think I'm right in saying it has a single spring barrel release and just below the rear sight it says patents applied for. The serial no is 903. I realise that I would probably not have any knowledge that would be useful to other members but hope this would be of interest to someone out there. Any info would be lovely. Ps it still works.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Dumfries

Post by pmh » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Dear Ian,

Welcome to the forum.

If you could get some pictures and post a quick note in the Air Pistol section I am sure somebody will be along to tell you all about your Webley.

If you get stuck with the pictures, let me know.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Eightball wrote:Hi my name is Ian an expat Essex boy living in southwest Scotland. I've always had an interest in air pistols and rifles since I was knee high. Diana sp50 from my paper round earnings and then about 20? Years ago took as a part ex for a small sea fishing boat an air arms tx200 and a webley, an eclipse I think which to my constant irritation I sold on for a ridiculously small amount, needed the money at the time! On a recent visit to my mums she was asking if there was anything I would like to take home (meaning my stuff that had been there since '84).I Thought she meant some of my dads stuff,he had died 3 years earlier. So here is my reason for visiting your forum. I have now come into possession of a webley mk1 pistol from the online research I have done I think it is very early. It has a straight handle with walnut grips also I think I'm right in saying it has a single spring barrel release and just below the rear sight it says patents applied for. The serial no is 903. I realise that I would probably not have any knowledge that would be useful to other members but hope this would be of interest to someone out there. Any info would be lovely. Ps it still works.
Hello Ian,

First of all welcome to the forum and I hope we can rekindle your interest in classic air guns,

If your Mk1 does have a single or even two clips to retain the barrel you have one of the rarest and consequently most valuable Webley air pistols known to collectors.

The first Mk1 appeared in 1924 and used a single clip to retain the barrel. This proved inadequate and a second clip was added to improve barrel retention. These clips would wear grooves in the barrel with continual use so were themselves soon replaced with the far more elegant sliding catch used by both the Mk1 and Junior until production ceased.

If you could confirm the barrel retention arrangement on your Mk1 and possibly post a couple of pictures, I'm sure it would be of great interest to all the members of this forum and particularly to the Webley enthusiasts like myself.

Regards

Brian

Eightball

Post by Eightball » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks very much to all who have replied to my post. I am currently working back "down south" and the gun is back in Dumfries. As soon as I get back mon. Or tues next week I will put up some pics. Any advice on how to do this would be good as I can't use a pc but have got iPhone and iPad. Thanks again. Ian

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:21 am

Eightball wrote:Thanks very much to all who have replied to my post. I am currently working back "down south" and the gun is back in Dumfries. As soon as I get back mon. Or tues next week I will put up some pics. Any advice on how to do this would be good as I can't use a pc but have got iPhone and iPad. Thanks again. Ian
Hello, Ian,

Just checked the Ser No of your MK1 (903) and it would seem it is a little above the range that used the barrel retaining clips which were replaced by a sliding latch around Ser No 700 and remained the standard arrangement until production of both pistols ceased.

Still a nice early Mk1 though and would have been made in the first year of production (1924).

'Spring Clip' Mk1s are the proverbial 'Holy Grail' for Webley collectors especially the single clip' model of which only 100 or so were ever made. Although more of the 'double clip' model were made, it is still very rare and one sold for over £500 at an Auction I attended in 2006 even in what I would consider 'relic' condition with a post war barrel.

Although standard Mk1s are not uncommon, an early model with the standard sliding latch should realistically still fetch between £150-£250 depending on condition.

You might want to take a quick look at this link to a thread relating to Pre-war Webley 'Straight Grip' pistols posted so time ago. The Mk1 pictured has the standard sliding barrel retaining catch mentioned above.

http://www.classicapa.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

Brian

Eightball

Post by Eightball » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks Brian for the info, you obviously know your stuff! It is a sliding catch as you say but will put up some pics in the pistols section when I get home. Cheers Ian

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Eightball wrote:Thanks Brian for the info, you obviously know your stuff! It is a sliding catch as you say but will put up some pics in the pistols section when I get home. Cheers Ian
Hi Ian,

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your second series Mk1.

Have a safe trip home.

Regards

Brian
Last edited by Certus on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi Brian just took a look at that link,great post by the way told me more than I found out in hours of searching the net. My mk1 is just the same as the picture you posted the only difference being mine has no trigger adjustment and no patent no's on the barrel. Thanks again will do pics ASAP but in future will put anything in the pistols section rather than the intro's. hope this is correct. Cheers Ian

Big Steve

Post by Big Steve » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Welcome to the forum
Baikal MP654K Gen1 Oupeaat, Gen2 Grom, Gen3 Thor, Gen4 Demimak & Gen5 Tatiana
Makarov Pistol Association http://makarovpistol.myfineforum.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;