Hello from Dover

Take the opportunity to introduce yourself.
Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker
Hello from Dover

Post by Thirdwheel » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Really nice to find this site and very informative.
30 years ago I used to shoot 6m pistol with London Transport using a el gamo center pistol, I got married and moved on from being a bus conductor, you know the story, the gamo was passed on to a friend (my driver). I realised I needed a focus to get away from just work again especially as winter is now comming and came across this site. This spured me to go to our local air gun shop (if you can call it that) to see if they had any reasonable secondhand pistols, what they had were rather knocked about and of makes that I had never heard of. So to cut a long story short I walked out with targets, catcher and a Webley alecto and I've set up a 6m range and started shooting again and I'm soooooo bad but that is exactly what it is about - the challenge. Not very keen on the look or the feel of the plastic webley and I've pinched myself too many times when closing it but it is a start. I'm feeling so much more relaxed after shooting a few targets before getting stuck into marking for the evening.
I've noted the MPL competition which looks very friendly, would this gun be legible or will I have to find that gun I always lusted after, the original model 6 goodness this could be a slippery slope. I need to compete as I'm just not a plinkerer (if that is the spelling) for me it's the focus and the competing against yourself that makes it fun.

Best cheers
Thirdwheel

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Dover

Post by pmh » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Hello,

And welcome to the forum.

There are a few Model 6s for sale at moment, for which £150 should get you a good one.

The Gamo Centre has successfully been used in the 10m MPL, and a few of these are around at moment. Gunstar is often a good place to look, but is always best to buy or the forum if you can, as the pistols will have been looked after, and will usually come with a good deal of provenance.

The Alecto is perfectly legal for all our competitions.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Welcome to the forum, your Alecto is a very accurate pistol so will be fine to start with, as well as the comp you mentioned there is also the benchrest comp I have just put my round 3 entry in using one of my 6M pistols you favour I to think their great. Whatever you decide to try, enjoy this website, atb, M. :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Big Steve

Post by Big Steve » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum; glad you are enjoying your return to this fine hobby of ours.
Baikal MP654K Gen1 Oupeaat, Gen2 Grom, Gen3 Thor, Gen4 Demimak & Gen5 Tatiana
Makarov Pistol Association http://makarovpistol.myfineforum.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Thirdwheel » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:56 am

Many thanks for the welcome.
It is good to know that the the webley alecto is acceptable for entry into your world of shooting. I like the way it shoots and feels and I'm happy with that but it does not feel like an air pistol let alone look like one, and the cocking system does not make for fluid target shooting with having to handle it so strangley - suppose I'm talking ergonmics here. A brake barrel or underlever would seem more natural to me at this point in time but I'm just starting out again and really enjoying the whole process. My scores are er well I'm not saying - grouping - forget it at the moment, fun yes. I will have a look at the bench rest thing whatever that is - thanks for that info. When does the new session start for the 6m MPL or can I play catch up? I'm searching out all of the gun shops within 50 miles of here at the moment to go and have a look at what they have and to go and get hold of a range of the pellets you reccomend and try them out - as if it would make any difference to me at the moment. Are the air 8 targets available commercially? I will print some off but not sure my new pellet catcher is up to holding ordinary paper but I will see. I'm going to see if I can get my wife shooting too so any suggestions for a lighter pistol would be welcom, but I'm going to try her out with the Webley as this may just be fine, I will have to cock it as it is a little "macho" and is a real skin bighter as you will know.
I talk too much and ask too many questions so I had better be off but thanks for the kind welcome and running this fine websight.

Goodness I've got to get some diffrent glasses

Thirdwheel

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:31 am

The 6 yard MPL is available for catch up.

The Air 8s are commercially available, but only in 3,000 from what I have seen so far.

My club has bought these and is selling them on at £5 + £2 p&p for 50.

A good deal of effort goes into sourcing, packing, taking to the post office, etc and in the event there is a small profit, this goes to club funds.

The best form of target holder for the print outs is a metal parts, to which you attach the target with small magnets. You then just need a container under this part to catch the spent pellets.

Keep asking away, you can never talk to much in here.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Thirdwheel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:27 pm

Many thanks for all of the info. Now entered into the MPL so now have a focus / aim to try and improve fast. To keep to the spirit of the competition I will keep my eye out for one of those springer pistols I could only dream about in the early 80's - I knew this would all end up with more kit. So guess a original 6M or model 10 need to be in my sights but there were a couple of others but do not know there names so I need to do some research.
Printed out some of the air 8 targets - goodness they are so small!!! this will be a real challenge. We used to use 10m targets at 6m.

Best cheers
Thirdwheel

BaggieBoy

Post by BaggieBoy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi

Welcome to another new recruit to this excellent 'club' ...I (only) joined a couple of months back - see my 'Intro' of 21 July - and, like you, I'm taking my first steps with 6m postal comp. My first three months 'catch-up' scores have been very modest but I'm (reasonably!) confident that my efforts will improve. I'm a latecomer to shooting - well into my 50s when I started - and my air gun efforts in the early days were limited to back garden 'plinking'. Plus, my other main shooting interest is muzzle loadoing...where you can use two hands on the pistol and the targets are as big as bed sheets! Increasing years and eye-sight issues don't help of course...bi-focals are an absolute pain with any sort of shooting. But, that's the challenge and it's good to be involved with like minded souls many of whom are facing similar factors. Joining CAPA is one the best things I've done of late and I'm doing my best to spread the gospel including with a couple of 'classic' pistol users when I visited my former shooting club at Worcester recently. Look forward to hearing more from you and how you get on.

All the best.

BaggieBoy

Thirdwheel
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Thirdwheel » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Um eyesight - my arm is not long enough to really get the fore sight crisp - I used to be able to focus on front sight then target then back and then bang. I'm kinda coping and at times there is some of the old accuracy there but mostly it's horrid but I've kept all of the last 500 pellets on the card area, yeeeha! Yup same age as you but I still think I'm 26 - the power of positive thinking is fantastic. Yes this site is such a good idea and the MPL comp such a clever thing to come up with - the positive internet. I'm usually bemoaning the internet because it makes my pupils stop thinking and analysing for themselves. I'm keeping up the practice every day and it really helps in every way.
Thanks for the welcome

Thirdwheel