Buying from Abroad

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
pmh
Site Admin
Buying from Abroad

Post by pmh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:54 pm

As you know, the VCRA does not allow registered firearms dealers to send airguns to buyers in this Country.

However, there is no restriction, that I am aware of, for airgun dealers in other parts of the world to send guns here.

I have heard much of this German company:-

http://www.versandhaus-schneider.de

Last Sunday, I took the plunge and ordered a Baikal MP-53M, often known as an IZH-53M.

It arrived this afternoon,  like I'd just picked it up by hand.

With DHL delivery, extra for using my credit card,  it came to around £62, which is what it would have cost me, including petrol, but none of the hassle of a 3 hour round trip.

They have some very good bargains on the site, including a good range of Record pistols.

A very good experience,  and one I will be repeating again.

It's not quite a classic yet, but it is certain to be one day.

Kind regards,

Phil

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

IZH53M

Post by zunmik » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:04 pm

They are a good pistol, they respond well to a light tune & a relube the trigger when polished becomes smooth, predictable, and can be made quite light, i have indeed won springer comps with one of those. Has yours got the old style target grips these have been around since the mid 1980's so "classic" possibly. They now make them with ambidextrous grips
M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 pm

An interesting sire Phil. Sometimes you have to take a risk!

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:10 pm

According to the manual,  it was made in December 2011,  so has been in stock at the manufacturers or shop for a bit.

I've fired a handful of shots into the back wall to try it out, but will have a proper go tomorrow, weather permitting.

I haven't had a chance to compare the various nuances between issues to see which one this is.

Kind regards,

Phil

Rincewind
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Rincewind » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:12 pm

That's interesting Phil.  I rang DHL a  while ago  about sending airguns and I was told, quite emphatically,  that they  did not carry airguns.

Anyway, I'm glad that you have got it and hope you enjoy using it.

Bernard

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:18 pm

I am just in the process of ordering my first pistol from the States - a 1968 Crosman 38 .22 CO2 revolver. Boxed and sourced from a house clearance.
Fortunately I have some help from someone over there - its still a gamble though - it might be knackered (though it looks OK in the photos) and the customs might confiscate it. Its not mega money so I thought I would give it a try!

Rincewind
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Rincewind » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:53 pm

I had a used air gun sent over from America. The customs label declared that it was a sub 6ft.lb air gun and it arrived by RM without any problems. This was this year, so I would guess that yours will arrive OK.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:56 pm

The kind gentleman that is sorting things out at that end has managed to get a few pistols to shooters here in a similar fashion so I am hopeful. One he sent recently to someone is stuck in customs though and they are arguing that its an RIF - its a modern Umarex - so it remains something of a lottery in certain respects

Fingers crossed!

Rincewind
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Rincewind » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:07 pm

RIF- Realistic Imitation Firearm.  Didn't know that they were a customs problem.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am

Ian:588 wrote:I am just in the process of ordering my first pistol from the States - a 1968 Crosman 38 .22 CO2 revolver. Boxed and sourced from a house clearance.
Fortunately I have some help from someone over there - its still a gamble though - it might be knackered (though it looks OK in the photos) and the customs might confiscate it. Its not mega money so I thought I would give it a try!

Ian

How did buying from the states work out

There seems to be some nice bargains on the auction sites

Tempted to have a go

Joe

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Joe:1959 wrote:
Ian:588 wrote:I am just in the process of ordering my first pistol from the States - a 1968 Crosman 38 .22 CO2 revolver. Boxed and sourced from a house clearance.

Ian

How did buying from the states work out

There seems to be some nice bargains on the auction sites

Tempted to have a go

Joe
Still waiting Joe - I dont think my gun has reached customs yet - this will be the critical stage