Shooting thru Injuries & Senior years

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Re: Shooting thru Injuries & Senior years

Post by zunmik » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Well done for adapting to both hands i'm right handed & tried going leftie two & half years ago when my shoulder problems were very bad I failed very badly, but am delighted you succeeded :handgestures-thumbupright: , M :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

mitchell301
Plinker
Plinker

Post by mitchell301 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Its not quite as relaxed a technique as using it "natural-handed"......there is a degree of over-concentration and a tighter grip which affects trigger control, but its passable. It normally takes a few minutes for the other eye to focus and settle etc after the diffuser covers the dominant eye. It pays not to use other pistols Left handed or double handed just prior to using a Right handed stance.
illegitimi non-carborundum descenda

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Not updated this thread lately, so my pistol shooting has been going fairly well no major shoulder problems just the usual age related issues, rifle shooting has though been minimal due to the osteo whatever is wrong with my damned neck, this problem does though come & go so i'm hoping it will soon ease again so I can return to my rifles soon. I am still keen to shoot even though I am off loading some of my guns I shall still have 2 target pistols, & 2 target rifles plus the hw45 for some fun shooting, so overall hope to carry on shooting for a long time yet, M. :)

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:36 am

I have been a target shooter for 40 years, I retired from competition and packed up for many years but it was an illness and old age that brought me back!
I had Bells Palsy which produces stroke like symptoms but is recoverable generaly in a couple of months, in my case the only permanant damage was the destruction of the cortial nerve in my right ear which resulted in a total loss of balance, spent a month unable to stand, three months staggering, and then two years of daily therapy to attempt to learn to ballance using the other ballance receptors, the exercise were boring and in mentioning to the consultant that I use to do pistol shooting he said, "the perfect therapy exercise!"
My sport aided my health and now the ballance is no issue (just rheumatism now) and I can now shoot standing air rifle to a reasonable standard. I can also add, that although its goes against the grain to us old farts the modern shooting kit of trousers and jackets does wonders for old aching backs.
My wife, also after a 20 year break, now due to the wonders of modern medicine and a double cataract op, and using modern stiff shooting kit is shooting air rifle and smallbore rifle at the standard she did in her prime (a GB team member) at 63!
And she even trains more than then and has won the top veteran at the British Air Rifle championship for the last two years as well as being county champion in air and smallbore rifle!
We both now shoot air rifle, and smallbore rifle prone, and also shoot fullbore rifle prone and its our sport which keeps us active.
Robin

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 am

My frozen shoulder seems to be easing, though movement is still limited. It's all been a bit frustrating as it had been over a year now.

I've not tried holding the rifle for a while, so shall have to give that a go to see how I get on.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:02 pm

pmh wrote:My frozen shoulder seems to be easing, though movement is still limited. It's all been a bit frustrating as it had been over a year now.

I've not tried holding the rifle for a while, so shall have to give that a go to see how I get on.

Kind regards,

Phil
I'm glad your shoulder is easing my own shoulder problem is surprisingly massively improved & my freehand pistol is nearly back to normal levels i'm delighted to say, but ageing problems is swings & rounabout's so my rifle shooting is almost non existent due to increasing problems with my neck for which there is no easy fix, atb, M. :angry-tappingfoot: :)

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:53 pm

zunmik wrote:
pmh wrote:My frozen shoulder seems to be easing, though movement is still limited. It's all been a bit frustrating as it had been over a year now.

Kind regards,

Phil
I'm glad your shoulder is easing my own shoulder problem is surprisingly massively improved & my freehand pistol is nearly back to normal levels i'm delighted to say, but ageing problems is swings & rounabout's so my rifle shooting is almost non existent due to increasing problems with my neck for which there is no easy fix, atb, M. :angry-tappingfoot: :)
Life is full of swings & roundabouts, a good friend has just had surgery on his forearm so he can't shoot for 2-3 months, knowing I love his Tau7 (std version) he has kindly loaned it to me whilst he recovers. Great bloke, M. :D

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi a great thread, its so easy to give up I nearly did after loosing an inch off my trigger finger through a work injury, but I soldiered on and now shoot my Compact with my middle finger. Took some getting used to and a few tweeks to my grips. So yes a great piece and we should never give up.
atb kj68 :text-goodpost: :text-lol:
Happy Shooting