Shooting thru Injuries & Senior years

A place for anything general, air gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.

Moderators: SysAdmin, zunmik, pmh

Postby Plinkit » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Well, there is thinking and then there is doing.  :wink:

In all seriousness though this isn't a comp site so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I ever do get involved in online comps again though I would prefer them to be verified, either by emailing targets or posting targets to a verifier.
>>>This space has been reserved for a witty signature<<<
User avatar
Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:34 pm
Location: Cleethorpes

Postby Rincewind » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:01 pm

I would support the view that verified shooting may put some people off  on a forum like this  and others. The thing is if somebody cheats and wins they know that they haven't really won. So, I have to support the idea of gentlemanly conduct and trust in these competitions.  

When it comes to the various local and  county association comps the  witnessed cards are a absolute must and yet it doesn't put people off.  We might ask why this is and the answer is because when shooting at a club there is always someone there of a like mind who  can act as a witness.

Jumping back to the original post, I'm a wrinkly and suffer from an arthritic knee, hip, shoulder, neck wrists and hands. plus a plethora of other conditions.   I am unable to take anti-inflammatories and have  make do with pain killers when the pain get bad. As Zunmik pointed out  it is important to maintain mobility.  

Besides air pistol I shoot rim-fire rifle which, after shooting 50 to 100 rounds, caused discomfort in my shoulder.  It seems to be more noticeable just after shooting. to overcome this I have bought a D30 recoil pad for my shoulder and it works well.  Finally when shooting pistol i find that the concentration required  seems to detract from the the discomfort so it's almost therapeutic for me.

Apologies for going prattling on.
Rincewind
Plinker
Plinker
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

Postby zunmik » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Maybe in time as membership grows it may be that there is enough interest to run both verified & non verified comps, i do not doubt peoples honesty, but do like one set standard deciding the score rather than individuals each with their own ideas on what counts as in or out on the ten ring etc, M. :?
Swiss Arms TG1,~ S.G.S Duo 300, P900 IGT,Stoeger XP4, etc, G0JVB ex G6MUI.
User avatar
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:22 pm
Location: ilkeston

Postby pmh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 am

There is no such thing as going on, or prattling on, in here, just sensible comments and a worthy contribution from all.

Some excellent points and comments have been made, and they are food for thought for the future.

Hopefully we'll be able to cater for all needs, as I am sure members will step in to help.

Kind regards,



Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<
User avatar
pmh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:07 pm
Location: Bury, Lancashire

Postby Plinkit » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:10 am

Rincewind:1841 wrote:I would support the view that verified shooting may put some people off  on a forum like this and others.


Why?

Rincewind:1841 wrote:The thing is if somebody cheats and wins they know that they haven't really won. So, I have to support the idea of gentlemanly conduct and trust in these competitions.


If someone is willing to cheat then I am sure they do not give a damn about gentlemanly conduct or trust.

Rincewind:1841 wrote:When it comes to the various local and county association comps the witnessed cards are an absolute must and yet it doesn't put people off.  .


But not online comps?? Why is that??

Rincewind:1841 wrote:We might ask why this is and the answer is because when shooting at a club there is always someone there of a like mind who can act as a witness.


Oh yes the 'like mind'. Well if someone is attending clubs and shooting online comps there then I would suggest the 'Like mind' are probably still in the room.

Sorry guys just being devils advocate and would like to hear opinions not just easy get outs for entering online comps.

Sorry to do this to your post Rincewind my apologies.
>>>This space has been reserved for a witty signature<<<
User avatar
Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:34 pm
Location: Cleethorpes

Postby Ian » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:34 am

A bit of lively debate is no bad thing!

Anyway, Ive posted a poll

http://capa.myfreeforum.org/about315.html




.
User avatar
Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:47 pm
Location: Wokingham, England

Postby Rincewind » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:44 pm

I seem to me that the simplest way to resolve this issue is to run both comps, verified and verified. As Already mentioned by Zunmik.
Rincewind
Plinker
Plinker
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:37 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

Postby zunmik » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:14 pm

Back to the shooting "Motivation" as i'm trying to get back to shooting i try where possible to shoot for just a few minutes every day now (retired)
monday onwards i will be unable to shoot for probably 5 days so had a shoot today even though i simply was'nt in the mood, Big mistake both rifle & pistol were a disaster :(  so i ended up just revamping my target box so i achieved something positive today, M. :roll:
Swiss Arms TG1,~ S.G.S Duo 300, P900 IGT,Stoeger XP4, etc, G0JVB ex G6MUI.
User avatar
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:22 pm
Location: ilkeston

Postby Tank » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Rincewind:1841 wrote:Besides air pistol I shoot rim-fire rifle which, after shooting 50 to 100 rounds, caused discomfort in my shoulder.  It seems to be more noticeable just after shooting. to overcome this I have bought a D30 recoil pad for my shoulder and it works well.  Finally when shooting pistol i find that the concentration required  seems to detract from the the discomfort so it's almost therapeutic for me.

Apologies for going prattling on.


I remember taking my 30-06 to the range right after I bought it 100 rounds saw me black and blue!

I know that a hundred or so rounds through my Beretta 308 results in a blister on the top of my hand right about where the hammer is, because the gaps beteen actually being able to shoot it are so big.

But at least I get to shoot big gun once in a while.

:D
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
User avatar
Tank
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Manchester

Postby pmh » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 pm

To be honest, if full bore pistol was reintroduced, I am not sure if I'd bother again.

All seems too much hassle, especially with the commonality of CO2 and PCP.

Kind regards,



Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<
User avatar
pmh
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:07 pm
Location: Bury, Lancashire

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron