smokeless solid fuel

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
Rincewind
Plinker
Plinker
smokeless solid fuel

Post by Rincewind » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi
Anybody out there using solid smokeless fuel.
We've benn getting some pretty wet stuff lately so I made an enquiry to the Solid Fuel Association hoping to be told that there was a maximum moisture content that was permitted in the fuel. Guess what there isn't.

This is the reply:

Thank you for your enquiry. The natural moisture content of mineral fuels is very low (typically around than 5%). However, unless the fuel is kept under cover by the merchant which is not practical in most coal yards, it is not possible to exclude the weather. Consequently, it is accepted under trading standards rules that fuel may be delivered wet and the water content included within the net weight.
Once the fuel has been dried, it will be suitable for use.

I don't have a facilty to dry solid fuel prior to use, and I don't think many people have .

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:00 pm

Not good.

I do know a few people have a small "lean to" under which they store their fuel.

Perhaps one of those £20 polythene small "greenhouses", the type you get from Argos, Wilkinsons, etc, would suffice.

Something like >this< or >this<

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Rincewind
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Rincewind » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:17 pm

The bit that is really annoying is the fact that the coal merchants can leave their fuel to get wet in the rain and then charge for the rain.