diopters

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
beeker
Marksman
Marksman
diopters

Post by beeker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:07 am

Never seen, let alone used diopters on a rifle. positives /negatives or peculiarities of fitting and shooting with these fitted.
                                DISCUSS :D

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:37 pm

A lot of discussion on this offer the years, as you'd expect.

There aren't really any cos if they are used for their correct purpose.

Let's start with the rear.

The most basic is purely a hole. This sharpens up the image with the "pinhole camera" effect, though the down side to this is a greatly darkened sight picture.

The next step, for some, is to place a rubberised eye cup on this. This cuts out on stray light coming in from the sides, and also allows the shooter to get the same eye relief distance.

You may have noticed, on some shooting supplies sites, that the rear eye piece is often available in many colours: black, silver, orange. Current thinking is that orange is the best as this helps the eye to the correct alignment with the sight. Some also allow the aperture to be adjusted and a colour fleet to be put in place.

Again, filters do help, but different colours are recommended for different lighting conditions.

On to the front sight.

These are usually 18mm or 22mm in diameter. Elements are available in the traditional stamped steel, or now perspex with a coke shaped hole. The taper of the code dictates the thickness of the viewed ring.

You can also change the colour of the perspex, with the current recommendation being pink.

Having had a few discussions on this, the consensus of opinion seems to be 3.6mm diameter for the stamped and 3.4mm for the perspex.

You can also get a front sight attachment which is adjustable for aperture and a number of add on filters.

For target shooting these are perfect, very easy to line up, and using circular front elements, quite effortless, as the brain finds it quite easy to line up circles.

I used a basic set on my Super Meteor, quite a number of years back, and found them quite easy to use.

That said, I can only really comment on target use, as that's where my experience lies.

I am sure other members will be along to add their comments/experiences.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

beeker
Marksman
Marksman

Post by beeker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Any images of the view through this type of sight ?
Thanks for the info so far Phil.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:47 pm

I'll try to take some pics, though you can try it for yourself.

Take a piece of card, a darning needle or cocktail sick and punch a hole,  about 1mm, through it.

This should give you the same effect as long through the rear sight.

You basically get a dark view of the front sight.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:28 pm

So, I bought a really nice Gehmann Adjustable Iris front sight. It is really quite nice and the adjustable iris is terrific.
Then I tried Phil's new Anschutz pink front insert £3.50 from eBay - took things to a completely different level. I have removed the adjustable iris and put one of the Anschutz elements in. Absolutely terrific!
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:59 pm

The current iris is 3.4mm, often recommended for a perspex one, but I will try the 3.6mm one next, as it is difficult to re-acquire the target if lost.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

ikarma70

Re: diopters

Post by ikarma70 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:45 pm

I cant get a pink iris in 2.8 which is what i use, have thought of using coloured sellothane(sp?) to cover the iris.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat May 18, 2013 4:31 pm

I am not convinced the colour makes that much difference.

When placed on paper they do look pink, but when held up against the target, they just look clear.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sat May 18, 2013 5:43 pm

Well, my Inline Diopter arrived last week. This is a lens to my spectacle prescription, adjusted to suit my rifle length. Though you can fit it to any rifle give or take a couple of inches in the distance between the front sight and your eye. Art over at ShootingSight: http://www.shootingsight.com made the lens for me and I bought the lens holder from him too. Took a couple of weeks to get here from the US but is absolutely perfect.

The lens:

The lens fitted to the holder with the rear iris:

And fitted to my Anschutz Sight:

graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat May 18, 2013 6:23 pm

My eyes change that much, it's cost me a fortune. :laughing-rolling:

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH