Air Pistols Stuck in Coventry?

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Re: Air Pistols Stuck in Coventry?

Post by zooma » Fri May 31, 2013 9:55 am

Well at least you have got a "live" dialog started with a phone number that works, so hopefully you are now on the right road that will help you towards a happy ending.

Keep us up to date with your progress as your blog will be of interest ( and hopefully help) to others that will have the same experience in the future as it is obvious that "somebody somewhere" has decided to cause this problem (and resulting bottleneck) as the free flow of imports that worked so smoothly for many years has now almost ground to a standstill.

It is probably not gone down too well with the staff at Border Control much either - I cannot imagine that they will be too happy about having the place choked-up, or with having to deal with the increased level of questions and complaints about the system now failing to work as efficiently as it should.

................another government cock-up? - or some jumped-up "jobsworth" that wants to make a name for himself? :clap:

If the latter is the case, then he or she has succeeded - but probably not in gaining the name they would have hoped for :lol:
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Fri May 31, 2013 10:31 am

When this is finally resolved, I intend to lodge a complaint with HMRC - not about the staff at Coventry, but about the appallingly poor communications system they have in place.
If the phone is permanently engaged, then they clearly need more lines made available and there is absolutely no excuse for not responding to emails and faxes within 24 hours.

I don't mind the delay - well I do, but its the inability to find out what is going on that annoys me so much - faceless bureaucracy at its worst.
I hope I don't have to experience this sort of thing every time I want to buy from Europe.

Mrs May has admitted that the Border Agency is not fit for purpose, but her 'reform' doesn't seem much better.

Ian

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri May 31, 2013 10:47 am

The reality is that the Government is fit for purpose, and is time for a radical rethink.

As had been mentioned, there is quite clearly a training issue here. It would appear that nobody in Coventry had the slightest clue when it comes to perfectly legal air guns.

In the bigger picture of this, surely air guns are very low on the priority list.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma

Post by zooma » Fri May 31, 2013 10:54 am

pmh wrote:The reality is that the Government is fit for purpose, and is time for a radical rethink.

Phil

I think you mean NOT fit for purpose. :shhh:

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri May 31, 2013 11:31 am

Well spotted, I just didn't want to ruin my chances of a knighthood. :laughing-rolling:

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

zooma

Post by zooma » Fri May 31, 2013 10:31 pm

pmh wrote:Well spotted, I just didn't want to ruin my chances of a knighthood. :laughing-rolling:

Kind regards,

Phil

I think you will be OK - nobody will have noticed :whistle:

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Well, another couple of weeks and still no movement. I have had 1 email but now cannot get them to answer my emails at all.
I have lodged a complaint, but it too can take up to 20 working days before I'm likely to get a reply, so that'll be into July.

I bought another pistol off egun last week, paid for it on 19th and it arrived this morning with absolutely no problems, so I guess I've just been unlucky with the other one.
Border Agency's service & customer relations is appalling, so I shall be interested to see how the complaint response justifies it.

Ian

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Halleluiah, I've finally have communication from Coventry saying that they are finally releasing my pistol.

" I apologise for the delay in both notifying you regarding this detention and returning this item to you. This is due to an increase in postal importations being intercepted, examined and seized / detained, the requirement for only trained make weapons safe officers to complete the examination of intercepted firearms, and limited resources."

They don't say what they are doing to resolve the problem, but I must be thankful for small mercies - I began to believe that I would never get it.

Having said that, I now have the pleasures of ParcelForce to look forward to :mrgreen:

Ian

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by zunmik » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Delighted things are finally moving for you now, and good luck with ParcelfArce, atb, M. :o :)
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Well, as of July 15th next, the Royal Mail are moving the goalposts again:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/prohibited-items" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sadly, controlled drugs and narcotics are banned but looking at the list "designer drugs" are okay so the young set are still good to go, as it were. Can't send perfume on Valentine's day though!
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:13 pm

They appear to have missed off:-

Letters, parcels, children's birthday cards containing less than £20, anything that can't be broken due to mishandling, any item that can be used to track or identify their incompetence.

Makes you wonder how they survive or how the regulator actually let's them get away with it.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:37 pm

If I am interpreting this correctly, you cannot send your mobile phone back for repair unless you pack it all back up in it's "manufacturers unopened packaging"? :shock:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:46 am

Fantastic - Parcelforce have excelled themselves and my errant parcel has arrived this morning, less than 24 hours after its release from the Coventry penitentiary .

First impressions are that it was well worth the wait, though I hope I don't have another such experience with Coventry.

Ian

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:09 am

Good news!

I am pleased everything ended-up OK, but it would have been much better without all of the stress and delays !

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Conclusion.

I have just received the response to my complaint over this issue -sent to them on 6th June.
My complaint has been upheld and I've been awarded £25 compensation, though compensation was not the purpose of the complaint.
It would appear that they might have taken some of my comments on board and they appear to have made a note for their officers that a Feinwerkbau model 2 pistol is within the legal limit and need not be detained.

One of their problems seems to be the delay between a gun being identified ( presumably by X-ray) and somebody actually opening the parcel to have a look and make a decision- over 3 weeks in this particular case. If they dealt with it straight away, I'm sure the backlog would be reduced.

As I have bought several times from Germany without any problems, I feel I was just unlucky on this occasion.
I hope I don't have to go through the same experience again.

Ian