Target Holder

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
pmh
Site Admin
Target Holder

Post by pmh » Sun May 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Many shooters have made their own target holders, which are perfectly adequate for practice, plinking, etc, but can prove a little problematic when it comes to shooting and scoring official targets.

My own target holder will take up to an A4 sheets of paper, which is held in place with magnets. This works well, but does produce an impact hole bigger than the actual pellet, and it is this that proves difficult when scoring official targets.

There are many makes and style of target holder out there, ranging from a flat plate style to a funnel trap, which guides the pellet into a collection area.

Prices do vary considerably, but the cheaper end tend to be a thin painted steel, whereas the dearer end are a thicker galvanised steel.

They also come in 14cm x 14cm or 17cm by 17cm. It is important to note, however, that competition targets are 17cm x 17cm.

The target holder I had a look at over the weekend is currently on sale through our club.

Front and Side Views

Image Image

This particular target holder is made from a good thickness of steel, and is galvanised to give it a very long lasting durability.

Fixing

This target holder is very flexible, as it can be wall mounted, using the slotted hole on the back, or left free standing.

Easy To Take Apart

Image Image

The target holder can be used with the hood down or the hood up, which does control the amount of ambient light that falls on the target face. We are looking at an upgrade which will allow these target holders to have LED lighting in them.

Lifting the hood allows the "strike plate" to be removed for cleaning, and to also empty the used pellets out.

The reverse side of the "strike plate" is shown in the picture above.

Target Insertion

Image Image

There is a generous sized groove, down each side and along the bottom, into which the target easily slides.

Despite this being quite a generous sized groove, in order to take varying card thicknesses, it holds the thinnest of target cards very effectively.

In Use

Image Image

Unlike some of the cheaper target holders, the target stays in position, despite constant strikes on the centre.

Initially, I was expecting the "floating" metal plate to make quite a bell like clang, but it doesn't. It does make a short toned clunk, and if this were found to be problematic then a piece of sticky backed foam would dampen this down dramatically.

For me it wasn't a problem.

The idea of the free floating plate is to, obviously, take the energy out of the pellet, and it does this very well.Pellets do stick to it, from time to time, but can be easily removed.

The target holder also traps all spent pellets, plus paper punchings, for easy disposal after the shooting session.

In Use

In conclusion, this is a well constructed, easy to use target holder, offering flexibility for mounting.

Coming in at just under £30 it is at the more expensive end of the market, but you get what you pay for, and this is of a construction that will enable it to last a lifetime.

That said, if enough people are interested, then we may well be able to get a bulk order discount.

Over the next few months I am hoping to do a post on how to install LED lighting in this, and we may well be to offer an upgrade kit.

If anybody is interested in one, then drop me a pm or e-mail.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Target Holder

Post by Ian » Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 pm

This looks superb Phil

Looks much better than the thin tin funnel type one Im using that the moment!

I also like the sound of that LED lighting option too - just the thing for the less than perfect lighting in my garage (not to mention my less than perfect eyes)

Put me down for one

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun May 12, 2013 5:52 pm

If anybody else is interested in one, then let me know.

There is the possibility that we can reduce the price, albeit slightly.

So far, we have:-

pmh
Graham
Ian

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon May 13, 2013 6:23 pm

On a bit of an update, the target holder arrives with a piece of foam, approx 16cm x 16cm x 4cm, which is placed behind the impact plate.

We did think that this was to hold the plate in place, during transport, but a quick reference to the instructions shows this is supposed to be left in place to help reduce "clang". :whistle:

Oh come on, be honest, who actually reads the instructions straight away!

Anyway, I shall try the target holder with this is in place, and report back on effectiveness.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Plinkit
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Plinkit » Mon May 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Absolutely brilliant Phil. This is just what I need to get me back shooting air pistol and entering comps. Do you have a price posted?
Loving the new look btw.
>>>This space has been reserved for a witty signature<<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Mon May 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Welcome back Andy!

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon May 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Welcome back indeed :text-welcomewave:

Should be able to have a posted price soon.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re:

Post by Tank » Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 pm

pmh wrote:On a bit of an update, the target holder arrives with a piece of foam, approx 16cm x 16cm x 4cm, which is placed behind the impact plate.

We did think that this was to hold the plate in place, during transport, but a quick reference to the instructions shows this is supposed to be left in place to help reduce "clang". :whistle:

Oh come on, be honest, who actually reads the instructions straight away!

Anyway, I shall try the target holder with this is in place, and report back on effectiveness.

Kind regards,
Phil

Oh Sh*t! I was planning on using that sponge to wash the car with. ANOTHER pound I am going to have to fork out at the pound shop! :cry:
Do you think it might dry out and I could use it in the target holder after washing the car?
This is just a disaster!
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun May 19, 2013 6:44 pm

I fitted the lighting this afternoon, and it works reasonably well.

However, the small gap between the edge of the hood and target is a quite a small width to protect the light through. As a result there is quite a noticeable difference between the light at the top of the target, as opposed to the bottom.

That said, it still works well.

I will try fitting a diffuser to see if this spreads the light a bit more.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Tue May 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Mine arrived today

A most impressive bit if kit - should last for years. I gave it a quick try out earlier - with the supplied foam fitted behind the swinging backstop I had some rebounds, none without and not much difference in noise levels. Quite happy to use it without the foam - as supplied its too thick and doesnt allow the plate to move enough hence the rebounds - thinning it down would work.

I love it - light years ahead of the tin funnel I have already and not that much more expensive - great!!!!

Thanks for getting this to me so quickly Bob

Looking forward to reading about some lighting options

:D

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed May 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Have we got a posted price yet

Or will they be avaiable at the ubc meet next week

Joe

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Wed May 22, 2013 10:43 pm

I believe postage is £8 on top of the £29.99 cost.

I have seen many target holders in my time, and this is certainly one of the best so far.

These won't be available at the UBC meeting next week.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

leadhead

Post by leadhead » Thu May 23, 2013 6:09 am

Would like one of these please! - Quality looks great. Please let me have details of payment.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Thu May 23, 2013 8:21 am

pmh wrote:I believe postage is £8 on top of the £29.99 cost.

I looked at that then realised. Royal Mail have changed their pricing model into some sort of perverse entity. Over 6"x6"x6" it jumps from £3 to about £8 - caused me no end of grief :cry:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:39 pm

I just use 10" steel plate, bulldog clip and a paper clip.