Target Holder - Adding Lighting

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
pmh
Site Admin
Target Holder - Adding Lighting

Post by pmh » Sat May 25, 2013 4:45 pm

I had a go at adding lighting to this, the other day, which turned out quite successful.

I used the self adhesive LED easily obtainable from eBay, etc.

Lighting Position

I cut this down to around 16 cm so that it would fit comfortably in the hood of the target holder. I placed it so that it just peaked out from behind the lip. The wires can be seen on the right hand side.

I have placed extra electrical tape over this to ensure that it doesn't get trapped when the hood is closed.

Wiring

This picture shows the wiring and a socket for the power adaptor.

I use the standard size used by Boss Music Pedals, as I have a few spare sockets and also a number of 12v power supplies which fit.

The charger for the Black and Decker LED light I have also fits this socket.

Socket

As I use my target holder free standing, I have used to wall mounting hole for the power socket. This didn't need any modification.

Choice of Power

A few peoples have asked me as to whether a power socket is needed or whether the lighting can be run from a battery. Interesting question, so I did an experiment today.

Image Image

The left target is lit using a Duracell Procell 9V PP3, whilst the right target is lit using a Black and Decker 12v Power Supply.

There is obviously a difference, but I don't think it is detrimental enough to make any difference when shooting.

The socket approach is the most flexible, as I can just terminate a battery clip into a plug to enable both options, but a straight battery connection would be the easiest for many.

With the battery connected, I measured the current at just under 17mA. Given that the Duracell is rated at 550mAh, this would give a battery life of around 32 hours continuous use.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Target Holder - Adding Lighting

Post by Tank » Sat May 25, 2013 5:12 pm

This is great Phil, thanks. I am going to go ahead and set mune up for PP3 use as I can then hang it anywhere in the garden.
Very useful.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat May 25, 2013 5:14 pm

I think I will try the battery option

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Sat May 25, 2013 6:09 pm

I use a small spotlight, but I do find that good lighting on the target makes a big difference to my accuracy.

Ian

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat May 25, 2013 10:19 pm

Got mine working a little earlier. Have mounted the lights in exactly the same place as Phil and am running them off a 9v battery. The battery is stuck on the inside near the mounting hole with double sided tape. As I dont have a proper connector for the battery I have simply taped the wires onto the terminals for the time being - I will look on ebay to see whats available re this.

In any event it works a treat and its now far easier to see the target.

I will try and take some pics tomorrow.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat May 25, 2013 10:21 pm

I have a spare battery clip.

I'll post you one on.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat May 25, 2013 10:26 pm

No need Phil - just realised that I have a broken smoke detector in my box of bits in the garage - I can use the connector from that!

Thanks anyway