Posting the Border Patrol and Morons

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Posting the Border Patrol and Morons

Post by Tank » Sun May 26, 2013 4:54 pm

So very recently, someone here bought a Pistol in Germany. Nothing unusual with that, perfectly acceptable, in the EEC no problem.
Until it hit the UK Border Patrol.
That's when the trouble started, long story short - it took a telephone call to the head of the unit with a question along the lines of "what do you think you are playing at?"
Of course some pleb had decided it was a RIF - Realistic Imitation Firearm. The subtleties of the act were clearly lost on the fool - It can only come under the Realistic Imitation Firearm part of the act if it is NOT a firearm, which, because the various people who are hell bent on controlling the population have decided all air weapons ARE indeed firearms it can't fall in that bracket, if you followed that? In other words, because it IS classified as a firearm in law it cannot be an imitation firearm. This is why we have the perverse situation with airsoft weapons which must be (51% of their area) painted in a bright flourescent colour, otherwise they are realistic imitation firearms, exactly because they are NOT firearms. A copy of a Beretta complete with realistic blowback feature is not a realistic imitation, because it actually IS classified as a firearm.

Bonkers.

Anyway, this took four weeks and a bit of good fortune to get sorted out. So this is the parcel as forwarded by the Border Agency (remember here DPD as a matter of course DO NOT carry firearms, air weapons or even parts of weapons as company policy :shock: ) complete with all of the stickers, paperwork and so on. It was released on the Monday for IMMEDIATE delivery.

No sign Tuesday, nothing Wednesday and Thursday was a no-show either,

But actually, on Thursday evening upon the person arriving home, this was pushed through the letterbox:

So, after all of the palaver and despite all the stickers and tape, the van driver just left it 'round the side of the house in the green bin - no signature - nothing.

Beggars belief.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Posting the Border Patrol and Morons

Post by micken » Sun May 26, 2013 11:41 pm

I wanted to make a funny remark, but I am actually lost for words on this one. Hope the pistol was in A1 condition though and it would be nice to see some photos of it as and when.

Cheers, Mick.

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Mon May 27, 2013 12:13 pm

At least you have got your gun.

Mine still languishes in Coventry, where it has been for the5 weeks. Finally received notification that it had been seized pending clarification of power ( Gun clearly stamped with F for goodness sake) and have duly returned paperwork. Cannot contact them by phone as number provided is permanently engaged, even at outrageous times when you might expect it to be on an answerphone. Have sent several emails without response.

What can one do other than wait patiently in the home that it will soon be released ?

Ian

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Mon May 27, 2013 12:41 pm

jassi wrote: Mine still languishes in Coventry, where it has been for the5 weeks. Finally received notification that it had been seized pending clarification of power ( Gun clearly stamped with F for goodness sake) and have duly returned paperwork. Cannot contact them by phone as number provided is permanently engaged, even at outrageous times when you might expect it to be on an answerphone. Have sent several emails without response.

What can one do other than wait patiently in the home that it will soon be released ?

Ian
Well Ian I don't know where you are in the country but personally I would be screaming the place down. I would already have contacted my MP - this is a useful resource: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Then I would have contacted the BASC
And I would want to know what the hell is going on! Many people seem to forget - ALL of these people are YOUR employees. They are seeking clarification of power? WHAT? WHAT? You mean they have spent all this money - MY money - and nobody is properly trained? Just where has the money gone? Why has this happened?
"officials" always enjoy their encounter with me. It is always memorable.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

jassi
Plinker
Plinker

Post by jassi » Mon May 27, 2013 12:53 pm

I live in deepest West Cumbria, which is almost as far as you can get from anywhere :mrgreen:

If I was nearer Coventry, I would be banging on their door and making a nuisance of myself. My Mp will be off on holiday and unless its nuclear-related, he won't be interested anyway, but worth a try if all else fails. I wouldn't mind so much if I could actually contact them, but they just seem faceless.

Ian :evil:

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:44 pm

The story about this particular parcel does show more than a few inconsistencies, and it has been subjected to some strange interpretations of various official rules and restrictions - but it ended up being left in an unlocked plastic tool shed with no signature requested or apparently required. :doh:

Having gone through the hoop of officialdom and delay, it was then returned to the carrier (a carrier that does not accept or transport air guns or even air gun spares) who obviously must have been aware of where it had been held and why.

Despite the concern for the parcels contents - clearly displayed by the Border Control tapes applied to the parcel - DPD decided it was not important enough to ensure its delivery to the correct recipient (by requesting a signature or any other form of ID or receipt) and felt that merely leaving it at the correct (unoccupied) address was good enough :naughty:

I am very happy that the parcel was delivered safely in the end, but being left in an unlocked plastic tool shed in a garden hardly seems the correct way for it to end its journey when it has attracted so much official interest along the way.

Well done DPD :clap:
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.