Which caliber do you prefer?

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Which caliber do you prefer?

Post by Ian » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:03 am

So which caliber pistol do you prefer?

For a long time I was a .177 fan in line with the received wisdom that the flatter trajectory of the smaller size was better. Of course when match shooting with either classic FWB's or more modern pistols this was the only choice.

However, I have to say that these days I much prefer .22

I find that pistols in this caliber feel smoother and the slightly larger pellets are easier to handle. I dont find the slightly more 'loopy' trajectory that much of a problem as once you have compensated for this good accuracy can be achieved. For example I can get pretty good results with my Webley despite the heavy trigger and relatively low power.

The only pistols I have in .177 are ones that arent available in .22 such as the LP53

:)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:29 am

Interesting question indeed.

I only ever used to buy. 177 guns, and even rifles, and as I felt the flatter trajectory was a big advantage.

However, I since getting the Ratcatcher, and which is only available off the shelf in. 22, I had a rethink.

I then went on to buy my Air Arms S400 Classic in. 22.

This has now tweaked my directory to all pistols. 177 and rifles. 22.

There is just something about a. 22 pistol that doesn't seem right.

That said, the I have seen a few well priced Webley pistols, recently, which were in. 22 and I did ponder, and albeit briefly.

Kind regards,

Phil

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Calibre ??

Post by zunmik » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Good discussion point as there has been a change in recent times to
.177, back in the 1980's i shot rimmies, .22 sporting air rifles, and 177
target rifles, about this time F/T started up (wish i could still do it), and i soon found my .22 rifles, & .177 target rifle were not up to the job so i got
a .177 77k, and moved on from there.
Pistols i think could be a seperate issue for target use i would stick solidly with .177 for scoring reasons, & accuracy higher speed .177 = shorter barrel time & reduced holdover time. Plinking, fun shooting, or collecting
.22 is fine, reduced velocity, & more arc on the trajectory is not a problem
also if you just keep your pistols on display or in boxes.
I personally Always want to shoot my pistols rather than just store & admire them. Injury problems as forced me to sell off most of my target pistols in recent times as i can't compete now, however i still retain an interest in pistols & am trying! to re-evaluate what direction to go in now
.22 may now appear in future pistols i buy due to a change of use. M.
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Whilst I have to admit to having a number of boxed pistols up in the loft that seldom see the light of day (must get up there and have a clear out soon) all of the pistols in my signature are now shot on a regular basis - with the exception of the LP53 they are all .22. Mind you, most of my shooting these days is two handed at closer ranges.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Some very good points you make there.

I too got an HW77K in .177 in the 80s for field target.

Never thought about the aspect of .22 for collecting/owning,  it's a good point.

Kind regards,

Phil

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:23 pm

The other thing I would add is that many shooters experience of .22 pistols is often with lower power models - the higher power ones are often a revelation

:)

Rincewind
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Rincewind » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:29 am

There's an interesting point or two that I'd like to raise.  One is that  10m air pistol comps are shot with .177 and gauged with a .177 gauge but 20 yard comps are usually shot with.177 but gauged with a .22 gauge.  

I personally shoot .177, because most target pistols are .177, and because of the flatter trajectory I only have to adjust my aiming mark slightly when  swapping between 10 m and 20 yard.  Hope that this makes sense.