Thursday Nights at the Rossendale Club.

A place for anything general gun related, if there isn't already an appropriate sub forum.
zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting
Thursday Nights at the Rossendale Club.

Post by zooma » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:15 pm

We had a very enjoyable evening at RMTC last night when Tim travelled across from Huddersfield to visit us and to show us some of his very impressive collection of collectable air pistols and rifles.

Due to the bad weather and the closure of the M66 our numbers were decimated which is a shame as those that could not make it missed-out on a very interesting evening and the opportunity to see some fabulous examples of rare and interesting air pistols and rifles.

As Tim travels a lot of miles with his work he was wise enough to avoid the traffic problems and was actually the first person to arrive and was on the doorstep waiting for me as I unlocked the church hall - good effort - well done!

Fortunately for us Tim seemed to quite enjoy our company and he said may well come and see us again - and we certainly look forward to seeing him again so that is something we will look forward to in the future.

Thursday nights at the RMTC is often the night when those of us that like the older and more interesting air pistols and rifles tend to stay upstairs in the main hall where we set-out the bell targets at 6 yards and just enjoy plenty of chat and the chance to exercise some of our older toys against the redbob bell targets - either with or without 6 yard targets fixed to them.

The serious 10 meter pistol shooting still continues uninterrupted on the range downstairs so everybody stays happy.

Anybody that would like to join our club for the "Thursday Experience" would be welcome to come along and show-off their treasures and get the chance to talk to like minded enthusiasts - and maybe even put a few pellets through those nice preserved example in the warmth and comfort of our church hall.

I think Tim shot some of his collectable's for the very first time in the cub last night and that must have been a nice experience that the club ambiance and safe controlled conditions can only encourage !

If we should be lucky enough to have a busy bell bell target evening one Thursday night ( that would be nice!) we still have plenty of space in the adjoined rooms to sit comfortably and lay-out as many collectables as you can carry in perfect safety. We have a superb large fully fitted kitchen so tea and coffee can be made as often as required - we just need a few more members - so come along and join us either as a shooting or non-shooting member - it is a nice place to be with fellow airgun enthusiasts.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Thursday Nights at the Rossendale Club.

Post by micken » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:43 pm

Very nearly did call in last night. I was over in Preston picking up a very nice second hand LP10 from a very nice gentleman. Decided to get back to Leeds though and shoot a dozen or so targets to check the pistol out.

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:20 am

micken wrote:Very nearly did call in last night. I was over in Preston picking up a very nice second hand LP10 from a very nice gentleman. Decided to get back to Leeds though and shoot a dozen or so targets to check the pistol out.
Our 10 meter range was also open so you could have shot your new LP10 and visited us !

........maybe next week eh?

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:59 am

Not before Christmas now I think, but it will happen, if only to compare FAS sights :shhh: ;)

zooma

Post by zooma » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:25 pm

I don't have one on my FAS yet - but I did see the milled-out block on Thursday night that Graham has machined and it had your "on-loan" screw adjuster fitting it perfectly. He has made a very good job of this block and he is rightly proud of his first miniature milling project.

Thanks for lending this to us so Graham has something to work from as my own screw adjuster had to be cut-out to remove the damaged rear sight block as the screw threads had also been damaged so there was no other way to get it out.

It looks like I will end-up with a superb "machined from solid" rear sight block on my 604 that will be much better than the pressed steel original and it will be good to meet you and see the alternative FAS rear sights that you mentioned as I have only seen the pressed steel types so far.

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:41 pm

You and Graham are welcome to the loan. As I think you are aware, one of my plans for retirement is to set up a small airgun-smith/machine workshop in order to keep my brain alive. It will be good to have a network of others to share ideas.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Here are some pics I took of Tim's collection:-

Note the two miniature air pistols in amongst the Webleys. These were hand made and featured in an Airgun World article, along with a miniature BSA rifle.

Two cased (not boxed) Webleys.

Various boxed pistols.

The miniature BSA Airsporter.

It should be noted that all the miniature air guns are fully functioning.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:11 pm

It is nice to see some new interest in 10 meter air rifle shooting at RMTC and so I have taken my Walther 300 Anatomical "out of storage" and look forward to giving it a some regular exercise at the club on Thursday nights.

The arrival of a new member with a Feinwerkbau 601 at the club is very encouraging and we had our first informal 10 meter match at the end of the night last week where we were able to compare the small differences between the 601 and 603 model variants.

I was given a rifle shooting jacket a couple of years ago and have never had a use for it, but I may risk the inevitable "comments" by taking it to the club and giving it a try as I am told they do need a but of "running-in" but they are good for extending the shooting life of geriatrics such as myself by giving some much needed support to the well worn body.

"Power Rangers" have already been mentioned but I think I will try it in any case as I need all the help and support I can get and it will add a little colour to the club :whistle: