Scoring conundrum

A place to discuss new ideas, thoughts, and chat about existing competitions.
Planteater
Scoring conundrum

Post by Planteater » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:57 pm

What do you do if you fire 5 pellets but can only see 4 holes?

This happened to me today. However closely I examine the card I couldn't see an enlarged hole that would indicate two impacts in close proximity. Either I missed the entire the card with one shot or two went through at exactly the same point.

Are there any rules that cover this for formal competitions?

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Re: Scoring conundrum

Post by Tank » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 pm

Planteater wrote:What do you do if you fire 5 pellets but can only see 4 holes?

This happened to me today. However closely I examine the card I couldn't see an enlarged hole that would indicate two impacts in close proximity. Either I missed the entire the card with one shot or two went through at exactly the same point.

Are there any rules that cover this for formal competitions?
That is a very interesting question and hopefully someone will be along shortly to give us an answer. I have always marked the lowest score X2
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

Planteater

Post by Planteater » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:45 pm

I'll scan the card tomorrow and post it here.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:30 pm

I have given this some thought, and have come up with two options:-

1 - You award the missing shot as the lowest score. For example, if you can see 5, 7, 8, 9 then you give it a 5.

2 - You award the missing shot the average of your 4 shot score, rounded down. For example (5+7+8+9)/4= 7.25, which rounds down to a 7.

My preferred option is the first.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 pm

pmh wrote:I have given this some thought, and have come up with two options:-

1 - You award the missing shot as the lowest score. For example, if you can see 5, 7, 8, 9 then you give it a 5.

Phil

That is exactly what I do. Works for me :D
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

benthompson

Post by benthompson » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:42 pm

I score in excess of a thousand cards a year and I've come across this a few times. It can be very difficult to find a close fit two pellet hole and the method I use is to select the most likely looking hole and insert a scoring gauge of the correct calibre and if I can feel any slight sideways movement then I would regard it as a two shot hole. If I can't find the , in this case, the filth shot then I would regard it as as a missing shot.

Having said all that the most common reason that I have come across for a missing shot is a miscount of pellets. If you are convinced that there are only four holes and that you can't have missed the target then you have probably only put four shots down.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Good point about me counting.

I have 5 shot batches marked out in my pellet holder for very reason.

If I am using a tin, I'll always count out the required number in the lid, then double check.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:52 am

its not good practice to just pick a hole, most double holes can be seen with a magnifying glass, the second shot even if exactly on the original hole will "clean" the hole, cutting away the small fibres identifying which hole is the double.
The correct answer is to use a double hole guage and a glass, the double guage is a very fine taper with graduated marks, when put through all the holes it will show the one that has two shots as it will go through very slightly more, there will be an identifiable difference if there is two shots, if they are all the same, then one missed.
The NSRA will have a 4.50mm double guage.
Good shooting,
Robin