FWB 300/300S fans, here is an odd observation.....

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your rifles.
Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman
FWB 300/300S fans, here is an odd observation.....

Post by Leonardj » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:34 am

I can honestly say that I have worked on dozens, if not hundreds of the FWB sledge action rifles over the years - the model 150, the model 300, and the model 300S. I had not however, noticed the interesting detail that I did today.

While I was preparing both an FWB 300T, and an FWB 300ST for rebuilds, I happened to notice something that struck me as very odd. The anti-beartrap ratchet bars on the two guns were noticeably different in the area of the engagement tab that fits into the compression chamber slot. Examination of the compression chambers of both guns revealed that the slots were different widths as well, corresponding to their respective ratchet bars. The difference in dimensions is significant, and one would logically theorize that there should be correspondingly different part numbers, however, searching through all my paper schematics, as well as various PDF files, downloaded directly from the FWB website, I was unable to find any difference in the part numbers. Certainly an engineering change that would affect parts interchangeability would logically be reflected by a part number modification, or so one would expect.

The following pics have been annotated to show the gun that the respective parts were present in, and the difference in dimensions of the associated parts.

The ratchet bars. These are listed as FWB part number 1500.001.1 in all my documentation, from the model 150, right through to the model 300S (and it's many variants - SU, RT, etc.)

The compression chambers. These are listed as FWB part number 1500.120.1 in all my documentation, again, covering from the model 150, through to all of the model 300S variations.

Has anyone else ever encountered these differences in the noted parts, and does anyone have, or know of any schematics for the model 300S dated later than 1988, where these parts are perhaps noted as having different part numbers from those that I have quoted above?

Obviously, I will now be checking all subsequent FWB sledge action guns that I work on to gain a bit more info on this anomaly.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: FWB 300/300S fans, here is an odd observation.....

Post by pmh » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:39 am

I can well imagine parts being beefed up on subsequent models, after reports of breakages, excessive wear, etc, on previous models.

However, as you say, such a rethink would certainly make a new part be accompanied by a new part number. After all, should a 300 owner obtain the part shown for the 300s, it quite clearly will not fit,

An interesting observation and certainly worthy of further investigation.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Post by bellringer » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:56 pm

Well spotted; I have also worked on lots of 300 series rifles and even had to buy replacement ratchet bars, as you say the part number is always the same as is the compression chamber but I was asked for serial numbers each time, so maybe as has been suggested there was a mod to beef the part up and M & G simply supply the correct part for the relevant serial number, this never seems to be an off the shelf part. But this is something to pay attention to especially if several guns are being worked on at the same time and parts could accidentally be mixed up especially if not seeming to be of 'special' importance.[I use a system of dedicated parts trays divided up to suit particular guns similar to a 3D shadow board but in tray form, with one gun per tray so hadn't come across this before].
If not already posted this should also go on BBS, I think a lot of people will be surprised and many will be grateful of this info. bellringer :text-thankyouyellow: :text-goodpost:

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:40 pm

bellringer wrote:... and FWB simply supply the correct part for the relevant serial number, ...
Fixed that for you... ;)
I've never been asked for serial number when ordering FWB parts, regardless of what part it may be - all they ever ask for is the FWB part #.

If not already posted this should also go on BBS, I think a lot of people will be surprised and many will be grateful of this info. bellringer :text-thankyouyellow: :text-goodpost:
Yes, it has been posted to the AG BBS. Many views, but no comments thus far.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:43 am

I suppose it wouldn't matter if they were sold as a pair, and maybe that's the intention.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<