A couple of poorly Airsporters!!

A place to share your projects, technical advice. and tutorials
johnbaz
Plinker
Plinker
A couple of poorly Airsporters!!

Post by johnbaz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi all

A few weeks ago I acquired a couple of early (Mk1 & Mk2) BSA Airsporters, both were in a very poor state..

The mk1 I paid £30 for! and the mk2 was a freebie from the bottom of the country so only cost me the postage!!

I had a go at refurbishing them, the mk1 being in the worst condition of the two :oops:

As I acquired it, the previous owner had 'repaired' the stock with interior wall filler, he cocked it and pulled the trigger (dry) before I could say anything but I think he did me a favour as his repair let go!!! :lol: :lol:

The action was really badly rusted and upon stripping it the leather piston seal was in bits!!

After I stripped the rust AND black paint, this was the result, there's still some rust that was just too deep..

After Reblueing with Ballistol Klever Blue (top action), it came out great with just one application but now some time has lapsed it's not so good i'm afraid, I think I can make more than one application for a deeper finish..

For the stock I planed a piece of wood to the same dimensions of the gap where the underlever sits so that I could glue it without fear of the parts moving, I then applied some PVA, married the two bits together and lashed them tight with paracord..

I then drilled two 7mm holes in the parts that overlapped and made two 7mm dowels of walnut, with hindsight I should have used beech as the endgrain has come up much darker then the parent wood, S'ppose I could drill them out and do it again!!

As I was rubbing the stock down I saved the wood dust and made a filler using it mixed to a stodgy consistency with the PVA glue then applied it to the cracks and damaged edges of the break..

The Mk1 is still in bits as I still have to make a piston seal for it (Been too busy with other matters unfortunately)..

The Mk2 looked as though it had been left against an outside wall for the last 30 years but shot surprisingly well!!

As I acquired it..

I didn't reblue the action on this one as the rust was at the surface with no pitting as such!
I had a go at it with wire wool soaked in 3 in 1 oil..

I was pleasantly surprised at how well it scrubbed up!! (bit like me really! :oops: )..

The stock I had to refinish as it really was sun bleached badly!!

I had to use Boiled Linseed oil for this which I don't really like since I once did a stock that stayed slightly 'tacky'! This one dried out lovely though!

A few more 'rubs' of oil and reassembled!

Cheers, John :P

pmh
Site Admin

Re: A couple of poorly Airsporters!!

Post by pmh » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:16 pm

An excellent and interesting post, thanks for sharing.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<