Airsporter Mk 1

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your rifles.
RobinC
Re: Airsporter Mk 1

Post by RobinC » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks mrto
So definately a Mk 1, '56 to '58. The stock is definately a one piece, does that indicate it was early? The sights are adjustable elevation on a tubular base with a lock wheel, and it has the auto opening breach which I gather from some other sources that not all had?
Its not mint although I've seen worse guns described as such, but it is in very good condition, probably as a result of being sat in my cabinet for 40 years! Its very interesting to find out about it and any info is much appreciated.
Best regads
Robin

mrto

Post by mrto » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:45 pm

RobinC wrote:Thanks mrto
So definately a Mk 1, '56 to '58. The stock is definately a one piece, does that indicate it was early? The sights are adjustable elevation on a tubular base with a lock wheel, and it has the auto opening breach which I gather from some other sources that not all had?
Its not mint although I've seen worse guns described as such, but it is in very good condition, probably as a result of being sat in my cabinet for 40 years! Its very interesting to find out about it and any info is much appreciated.
Best regads
Robin

Hi Robin,
I have three MK1 Airsporters one of which is a GA prefix 1954-56 and two of which are GB prefix 56-58 the same as yours.The stock on my GA prefix MK1 is three piece and embossed BSA on the stock butt and the main stock bolt is a stud and seperate threaded nut over which is fitted a bakerlite threaded cap .Both of the stocks on the GB prefix guns I have are
three piece and not embossed.One is secured with the stud and seperate threaded nut and bakerlite threaded cap.The other is secured by a single long threaded bolt and the stock has no provision to accept a threaded cap.
There was a thread on the BBS concerning stocks stock bolts and which were fitted to which series,but people had so many different variations within the same series it seems BSA pretty much put them together based on what stocks etc they had to hand.If I can find the thread again I will post a link to it here.
Is the etching visible on yours on the top of the cylinder by the way?It was only on the MK1 and MK2 that the tap was opened automatically by the cocking lever.Later models were progressively cheapened and bear little resemblance to the early MK1 and MK2's.
In my opinion the only Airsporters worth owning are the MK1 and MK2,though I do have an RB2 simply to have an example of the different type of breech.

Regards,
Mark.

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks Mark,
Mine has the bolt securing the action and no provision for a cap. The stock is definately one piece and unstamped.
The blueing is almost perfect for a used gun, just the odd small scratch, and a very small patch is worn off the barrel, I suspect from the previous owner using a sling. The etching is perfect and totaly visable.
Best regards
Robin

mrto

Post by mrto » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:13 pm

RobinC wrote:Thanks Mark,
Mine has the bolt securing the action and no provision for a cap. The stock is definately one piece and unstamped.
The blueing is almost perfect for a used gun, just the odd small scratch, and a very small patch is worn off the barrel, I suspect from the previous owner using a sling. The etching is perfect and totaly visable.
Best regards
Robin

Hi Robin,
Here is the link I mentioned http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... ter+stocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; some of the posts contain information you may find interesting.

Here are a couple more links one showing old BSA ad's http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14463.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the other showing BSA production dates http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2587.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Mark.

johnbaz
Plinker
Plinker

Post by johnbaz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi

I love Airsporters!!

here's a few of mine..

First three are mk1, next three are mk2..

Left, RB2 carbine
Right Airsporter 'S'

Mk1 in the rarer .177cal..

Airsporter Stutzen..

I've another mk1 and another mk2, The mk1 was in a very abused state, it's all refurb'd now but I have to make a piston seal for it before I can reassemble it ;)

Cheers, john :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:31 pm

An excellent collection, and photographs.

I do think the stocks look better without finger grooves, but that's personal preference.

Out of interest, have you checked to see if the grooves line up on both sides of the stock? All of the ones I have seen don't.

I am not sure if this is "on purpose" or just poor quality control.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

johnbaz
Plinker
Plinker

Post by johnbaz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:48 pm

pmh wrote:An excellent collection, and photographs.

I do think the stocks look better without finger grooves, but that's personal preference.

Out of interest, have you checked to see if the gross one up on both sides of stock? All of the ones I have seen don't.

I am not sure if this is "on purpose" or just poor quality control.

Kind regards,

Phil

Hi Phil

I'm sorry, I don't know what this means (Think i'm going senile!! :oops: )

Cheers, John :)

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:28 pm

My wonderful spell checker continues to think it knows best.

I have corrected the original thread. :lol:

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

johnbaz
Plinker
Plinker

Post by johnbaz » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:00 pm

pmh wrote:My wonderful spell checker continues to think it knows best.

I have corrected the original thread. :lol:

Kind regards,

Phil

Ha ha!! It's simple now!! (clearly my galloping senility is acting up again!!)

I've never noticed if they line up, next time I venture in to the spare room, i'll check! (spare room is like the tardis, tiny but holds enough rubbish to fill the Albert hall!! :D :D )

Cheers, John :)