My own favorite Webley

A place to discuss all things Webley. As this is probably the most collected airgun maker we felt it deserved a section of its own.
MDriskill
My own favorite Webley

Post by MDriskill » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:32 am

Mk 3 "Supertarget," serial A2577, made late 1970 according to Chris Thrale's book.

This rifle was originally sent as a sales sample from Webley, to Harrington & Richardson here in the US (H&R at one time imported Webley air pistols, and even manufactured copies of Webley's self-loading firearm pistols). It came to me in an H&R box and with the original factory sticker still on the action.

The Mk 3 is one of my very favorite airguns. The high-class materials, superb workmanship and finish, and degree of hand-fitting in their construction, seems to give each one an individual personality.

Last edited by MDriskill on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Re: My own favorite Webley

Post by bellringer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi from bellringer. Your gun was actually made in the last batch of 10; week ending Saturday 11/07/1970; so this is most likely its actual day of listing [Friday at worst] there is some confusion with 'A' series MK III's because W & S actually ran two series of guns with the same prefix letter following on directly from one to the other [reputedly too mean to buy another letter punch according to legend of bench workers]. Should you have other MK III's I can date almost all guns from No 44370 to end of production [F series] as I have the original workers ''day book'' which was kept secret from the company to allow workers to check they were being paid correctly, being on 'piece work' and not trusting the management with output numbers. Regards bellringer

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:47 pm

Excellent post, with some very nice pictures.

It's nice to have another dedicated enthusiast on board.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

MDriskill

Post by MDriskill » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:38 am

Thank you bellringer! Had I actually consulted Mr. Thrale's book, instead of foolishly relying on my memory, I would have seen that the A2577 from 1967 was a .22 cal sporting rifle! His 1970 one corresponds with your date. I will correct my original post for posterity.

The Supertarget actually got me started on a related "sub-hobby" if you will--Parker-Hale sights. Here's a selection of eyepieces aboard the Mk 3's PH 17B rear sights...

PH 62, purloined from an ex-BSA Martini sight:

"Iris" aperture with PH 62 eyeshade, most of the japanned finish is gone, but it still works perfectly:

PH 60--seems to be the unit I most often see on Supertargets:

PEFJ sporting eyepiece: