Vulcan gas ram fitting.

A place to share your projects, technical advice. and tutorials
Lord Sut
Vulcan gas ram fitting.

Post by Lord Sut » Thu May 22, 2014 2:01 pm

The last time that I fitted a gas ram (on a BSA) it was, as I recall, a simple spring out gas ram in job. The instructions for my Vulcan are telling me to cut down part of the body end plug that acts as a mount for the spring guide.
If I do this it means that it will be difficult to return the Vulcan to spring power at some point in the future. I'm reluctant to butcher the rifle and would rather cut or grind the end of the rod on the gas ram to the required length. Has anybody done this? Are there issues that I haven't considered?

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Vulcan gas ram fitting.

Post by pmh » Thu May 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Not sure of the effect of the need to do this , but you could get a spare from Chambers and cut this instead.

That way you have the option to restore it back to original, or pass the part onto the new owner should you decide to part with it.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Lord Sut

Post by Lord Sut » Sat May 24, 2014 4:41 pm

I'm a bit miffed at the need to do anything. It's sold as a fitment for the Vulcan and yet there is a need to modify the gun and the ram itself is a very loose fit inside the piston and the advice there is to wrap it in insulating tape until it's a good fit. I can only imagine the sticky mess that this will end up as.
Lesson learned, won't be getting another.

johnbaz
Plinker
Plinker

Post by johnbaz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi

I bought an Air Arms Jackal in bits!!

This came with a gasram and no spring, the spring guide that is a part of the cylinder endcap was cut off on mine too so if I wanted to fit a mainspring then i'd have to source a replacement end cap ;)

Cheers, John :P