Rare Webley Pellet Tin

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of collectable pellets and tins.
Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Rare Webley Pellet Tin

Post by Certus » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:34 am

Hi,

I recently found this very rare Webley pellet tin which I have been after for some considerable time. The tin dates from the early 1970s and looks similar to the common 3" diameter round tin with the usual orange sector denoting .22 calibre. This tin however is only 2" in diameter and as printed on the lid contains just 200 .177 pellets thus contradicting the normal, green .177 colour convention.

These tins are very rare and were possibly produced for some sort of promotion, but I have no idea why the usual Webley colour convention was ignored.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Rare Webley Pellet Tin

Post by pmh » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:53 pm

Very interesting.

Reminds me of the smaller pellet packs they used to put in airgun boxes as a "get you started" accessory.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:51 pm

pmh wrote:Very interesting.

Reminds me of the smaller pellet packs they used to put in airgun boxes as a "get you started" accessory.

Kind regards,

Phil
Hi Phil,

I know what you mean, but pellet collectors who know more about this than me, reckon these tins were advertised for just one year (1971) and were never included as complimentary samples in any of the recognised sets. Strangely, in the same year Webley apparently advertised tins of 250 .22 pellets in conventionally coloured tins which used the bottom of the 500 .177 tins and are similarly extremely rare. I guess these may have just been a short term trial to establish if pellets sold in smaller quantities might prove popular. However, this still doesn't explain why these miniature .177 tins contradicted the colour convention normally associated with Webley pellets.

Regards

Brian

Davidm61

Post by Davidm61 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Very nice Brian. I've not seen these before, so thanks for showing, an interesting and intriguing item.

bellringer
Marksman
Marksman

Post by bellringer » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Nice one Brian. I thought I had seen all the W & S pellet tin variations and boxes but then along comes this surprise and thank you for sharing it with us. I know several manufacturers used small tins with 200 pellets in and strangely they are almost exclusively .177 for some reason. Eley sold Wasp pellets in '200' tins and there are still lots of these tins around still, but Webley wow what a find; thanks again for sharing and now I have to start going to boot sales and fishing tackle shops again, I just might find a tin.
bellringer

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:52 pm

bellringer wrote:Nice one Brian. I thought I had seen all the W & S pellet tin variations and boxes but then along comes this surprise and thank you for sharing it with us. I know several manufacturers used small tins with 200 pellets in and strangely they are almost exclusively .177 for some reason. Eley sold Wasp pellets in '200' tins and there are still lots of these tins around still, but Webley wow what a find; thanks again for sharing and now I have to start going to boot sales and fishing tackle shops again, I just might find a tin.
bellringer

Hello,

I foolishly thought that with this tin I now had examples of all the pellet tins produced by Webley both pre-war and post-war until I heard from a fellow collector that there was also a 1970s orange tin of 250 .22 pellets (pictured below left) which used the base from the tin on 500 .177 pellets. This tin was also produced for just that one year (1971), but at least they maintained the usual colour convention.The orange tin pictured on the right in this picture and marked as containing 500 .177 pellets is a known printing error as this was never a quantity offered by Webley during their commercial pellet production.

Although I have a few Webley pellets in paper packages, I daren't start trying to chase them all or it would become almost never ending and very expensive.

Regards

Brian

John M

Post by John M » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi Brian,

I have only seen these included in 1971 Webley price lists but then I have not seen lists either side, I.e. 1970 and 1972. It could therefore be possible the tins were available for longer than just the one year. Does anyone on this forum know of a Webley list from this era?

Kind regards,

JM