Acvoke

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Jeff
Acvoke

Post by Jeff » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:55 pm

I have just procured an Acvoke and note references to serial numbers in other postings on the fora. I cannot find any serial number on the gun I have. Can anyone advise where I should be looking? The Gun has the 1947 marked on the inside of the grips (along with an L and R). On the rear is the makers name and, patents applied for and Birmingham 6 Eng.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Acvoke

Post by Certus » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:23 pm

Jeff wrote:I have just procured an Acvoke and note references to serial numbers in other postings on the fora. I cannot find any serial number on the gun I have. Can anyone advise where I should be looking? The Gun has the 1947 marked on the inside of the grips (along with an L and R). On the rear is the makers name and, patents applied for and Birmingham 6 Eng.
Hello Jeff,

The Ser No should be found on the right hand side of the backstrap lever. The 1947 stamping under the grip indicates the year of manufacture, so an earlier example which would probably have a Ser No in the region 10,000 - 12,000.

It was originally thought that 25,000 Acvokes were made between 1946 and 1956, but recent research indicates that only 15,000 or so were in fact produced with manufacture ceasing in 1953. The pistol would still have been available up until around 1956 though as stocks of existing pistols was run down.

No examples with Ser Nos below 10,000 have come to light, so it's likely that they would have started with Ser No 10,000 rather than 1. This would not have been the first time a British manufacturer has done this in an attempt to give the effect of increased sales and consequent popularity.

I believe there are a few, very late examples exported to New Zealand without Ser Nos being stamped to side of the lever.

You are probably already aware from the link below that the Acvoke is the larger interpretation of the medium sized 'Thunderbolt Junior' and much smaller German 'Tell 2' pistols.

http://www.classicapa.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=568" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian

Jeff

Re: Acvoke

Post by Jeff » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:48 pm

Hello Brian
Many thanks. Its number is 16694. It shoots nicely and is in fairly good condition.
Regards
Jeff