Highest serial number on a Haenel 28R seen?

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
45flint
Plinker
Plinker
Highest serial number on a Haenel 28R seen?

Post by 45flint » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:26 am

Trying to estimate how many Haenel 28R repeaters were made. I just bought one with a serial number in the 2500s. Saw a 2700 on the web? Anyone know of a higher number?

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Highest serial number on a Haenel 28R seen?

Post by Certus » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:26 am

45flint wrote:Trying to estimate how many Haenel 28R repeaters were made. I just bought one with a serial number in the 2500s. Saw a 2700 on the web? Anyone know of a higher number?
Hi,

Although not nearly as common as the Haenal 28, I have seen a few of these interesting pistols in my travels. According to The Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols (John Griffiths), the highest Ser No at the time of publication was 1786. The book was published around 6 or 7 years ago, so it looks as though many more 28 Rs were produced than had been thought at the time.

Regards

Brian

USAF25

Post by USAF25 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:12 am

The highest serial number I have seen on a Haenel repeater is #3,245 which is in my collection. Of the Haenel serial numbers that I have tracked, the Model 28R has the fewest made.
Haenel Air Pistol - highest serial number #9,680
Haenel Model 26 - highest serial number #12,030
Haenel Model 28 - highest serial number #23,828

I would appreciate hearing about any serial number that are higher than the ones I have listed.
Bruce

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:40 am

Thanks great info

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:25 pm

USAF25 wrote:The highest serial number I have seen on a Haenel repeater is #3,245 which is in my collection. Of the Haenel serial numbers that I have tracked, the Model 28R has the fewest made.
Haenel Air Pistol - highest serial number #9,680
Haenel Model 26 - highest serial number #12,030
Haenel Model 28 - highest serial number #23,828

I would appreciate hearing about any serial number that are higher than the ones I have listed.
Hi Bruce,

I came close to the higher end of the Haenal 28 range with my boxed example Ser No 23298. Although still relatively low, I'm still surprised at the number of Haenal 28 Rs that were eventually produced. Any chance of seeing a few pictures of some of the items from your collection ?

Regards

Brian

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:30 pm

I agree pics please. Beautiful example above!!! Three thousand may sound like a lot but how many collectible ones do we really have left? I have googled pics and I see many with a lot of wear, some with missing parts. Finding specimens that have collecting status has to cut the availability quite a bit. About 6 months ago I purchased a regular 28 that was very clean but when it arrived someone in the past had dug out the leather seal (probably with a screw driver) and broke out some of the breach metal at the loading end of the barrel. I returned it. I get my 28R in a few days and hoping that there are no surprises that 80 years can bring.

Another issue for me being in the US is how many of these pistols were imported and or came over after WW2. Seems very problematic trying to buy overseas.

USAF25

Post by USAF25 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:24 pm

A few photographs, not the best. Through the years I have owned a number of Haenel air pistols, though my favorites are the Haenel Super MOD 28 and the Haenel Model 50 & 51.
Some of my Haenel repeaters.

It is always nice to find a boxed Haenel. I have found that the Haenel Air Pistol and Haenel Mod. 26 boxes are the most fragile.

The Haenel SUPER MOD 28 are an uncommon variation of the Model 28. My research so far has determined that the serial number range on the SUPER version goes from #16755 through #16914.

My only two boxed Haenel Air Pistols but a rare combination, serial #3449 & #3450, got them about 12 years apart.

Brian thank you for the serial number, very much appreciated. Hope you enjoy the pictures, Bruce Jr.
Bruce

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:04 pm

I have read about the Super but curious are their any differences besides the name and the insignia? Thanks for the pics much appreciated. Looks like I have some catching up to do. Looks like from your handle you were or are in the USAF? Did you do all your collector in the states or were you stationed in Europe?
Steve

USAF25

Post by USAF25 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:18 pm

45flint wrote:I have read about the Super but curious are their any differences besides the name and the insignia? Thanks for the pics much appreciated. Looks like I have some catching up to do. Looks like from your handle you were or are in the USAF? Did you do all your collector in the states or were you stationed in Europe?
Steve
I served 26 years in the Air Force and was stationed in England from 1978 to 1982. I actually took a break from collecting from 1978 to 1984, the only pistol I bought was a boxed Gat from Dennis Hiller. Looking back, I missed out on several great opportunities but that is life.

The markings on the top of the barrel and frame are nicely marked. There is very little information out there on the Super Model but I'm sure someone out there has a nice boxed example that they will share with us.

It took me decades to get my first Haenel Super, the second one came 5 days later. You just never know what will turn up and when.
Bruce

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:51 pm

USAF25 wrote:A few photographs, not the best. Through the years I have owned a number of Haenel air pistols, though my favorites are the Haenel Super MOD 28 and the Haenel Model 50 & 51.
Some of my Haenel repeaters.

It is always nice to find a boxed Haenel. I have found that the Haenel Air Pistol and Haenel Mod. 26 boxes are the most fragile.

The Haenel SUPER MOD 28 are an uncommon variation of the Model 28. My research so far has determined that the serial number range on the SUPER version goes from #16755 through #16914.

My only two boxed Haenel Air Pistols but a rare combination, serial #3449 & #3450, got them about 12 years apart.

Brian thank you for the serial number, very much appreciated. Hope you enjoy the pictures, Bruce Jr.
Hello Bruce,

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the Haenel pistols from your superb collection, Don't think Iv'e seen so many Haenel boxes in one place ! My main interest is in early British spring powered air pistols, but I couldn't resist adding a few German models Tell, Haenel etc. I have a number of quite unique cocking systems associated with British pistols, but this Hubertus is the quirkiest German air pistol I have in my collection.

Regards

Brian

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:03 pm

Bruce, do you know of anyone with a more extensive collection of Haenel's than you? I am amazed given I am a new collector. Is the Haenel the focus of your collection or do you have extensive collections from other makers. You make me feel like such a rookie! Lol. Steve

USAF25

Post by USAF25 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:16 pm

I am sure there is someone who has more Haenels, I believe that I have owned 84 Haenel air pistols in my lifetime. As for being a "rookie", even after 50 years of collecting, I am still learning and can't wait to find that next treasure. I have tried to limit myself to Haenels, Tell 3's and the early American 19th century air pistols and their accessories. There is just something about these early air pistols that is very intriguing and new information and variations seem to be turning up. The early air rifle ammunition containers are just another item that makes collecting so great.

There are so many unique British spring air pistols, some you rarely see here in the United States. I was so pleased to get my copy of the Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols in October 2008. Every time I pick up John's book I learn something new or remember something I forgot. I was fortunate enough to hear from John before the book was published and am very grateful that I was able to contribute some valuable information.
Bruce

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks for sharing, the Tell 3 is my only other real dream but I doubt that will ever be realized. I too am drawn by all the various British and German variants. So much unique engineering in the early springers. I just purchased a EMGE Zenit this month and its mechanics are are so unique and metal blued just like a firearm, though stamped metal. My goal, is trying to find just one example that is as near to new as possible. Like holding a time capsule.

USAF25

Post by USAF25 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:28 pm

Dreams...don't underestimate them. Years ago my Dad and I were driving to an airgun show in Baldwinsville NY. I pulled out a copy of Quackenbush Guns by John GROENEWOLD and it opened to the page showing the Excelsior air rifle. I told Dad, wouldn't it be great if we found an Excelsior. We did not have an Excelsior in the collection and never had the opportunity to even buy one. That day we saw one, $2,250 was the price. Out of our price range but we had a couple of pieces this collector wanted so we traded for it.

I could go on and on but one thing I have learned, follow any lead that you come across as quite often it leads to another even better item.
Bruce

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:14 pm

Is their a best pellet to help cycle the repeater? I have read somewhere round balls are best?