Crosman 600 & BSA Magmum Chrono Testing

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Crosman 600 & BSA Magmum Chrono Testing

Post by Certus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:56 pm

Hello,

Finally got a chance to put my recently acquired Crosman 600 and BSA Magnum air pistols through the SKAN chronograph at my local range on Sunday with the following results:

Crosman 600 Semi-Auto Co2 pistol using the recommended Webley Verminpel .22 flat head pellets which weigh 14.3 grns.

10 shots produced an average muzzle velocity of 360 ft/sec which equates to an average muzzle energy of 4.08 ft/lbs. Lowest muzzle velocity recorded was 358 ft/sec and highest was 364 ft/sec so very little variation.

BSA Magnum spring powered over-lever air pistol using Webley Verminpel .22 flat head pellets weighing 14.3 grns.

10 shots produced an average muzzle velocity of 336 ft/sec which equates to an average muzzle energy of
3.56 ft/lbs. Lowest muzzle velocity recorded was 335 ft/sec and highest was 340 ft/sec so again very consistent.

BSA Magnum spring powered over-lever air pistol using RWS Hobby .22 flat head pellets weighing 11.9 grns.

10 shots produced an average muzzle velocity of 380 ft/sec which equates to an average muzzle energy of
3.80 ft/lbs. Lowest muzzle velocity recorded was 379 ft/sec and highest was 386 ft/sec.

I have previously compared the Magnum with my Webley Tempest for accuracy and consistency with very similar results. This was my first use of the Crosman Co2 Semi-Auto however although I do have a .177 Drulov Condor which is much more a dedicated target pistol.

To say the experience was fun would be a great understatement, as I haven't really stopped smiling since and it's now Wednesday. I have put around 150 pellets through the pistol to date without any charging issues or a single jam. The trigger release couldn't be described as crisp, but it is fairly light and consistent which is fine if you get into a release rhythm normally associated with rapid fire shooting.

I found the best method for me to be a sequence of 'double taps' which resulted in most pellets grouping well within the 9 ring on the NSRA AIR 10 Rapid Fire 10 metre target with most landing within 30 mm CtoC. I used the same one handed precision stance I use with the Drulov with very similar results. Each capsule seemed to provide 30 full power shots with a further 5 slightly weaker shots before the usual hiss as the capsule was finally exhausted. Apart from the fun this pistol can provide, I love the ingenious use of the little loading arm which rapidly picks-up each pellet from the 10 shot spring loaded magazine and places it into the breech for each firing.

Something different and well worth getting hold of should the opportunity arise.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Re: Crosman 600 & BSA Magmum Chrono Testing

Post by pmh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Surprised at the performance of the BSA, especially for it's size.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<