Mystery Pistol!

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
KeithB
Mystery Pistol!

Post by KeithB » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:56 am

Hi,
Brand new to the site and would like to draw on your experience to pin down some details for the pistol shown in the photos. .177 smooth bore, with a surprisingly strong spring. It is in good working order and is an all steel cast construction, belying it's toy like appearance. No markings at all. Don't think the black paint / coating is original as it comes off quite easily. Thanks for your time.

KeithB.
Attachments
photo2.JPG
photo.JPG

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Re: Mystery Pistol!

Post by Certus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:59 am

Hello Keith,

Looks like your pistol is a cast iron so called 'Dolla' made in Germany starting around the 1890s. There are many variations in both butt and trigger design, but very little in cylinder design. Early examples were produced with straight back trigger guards up until the introduction of oval openings around 1933 until the start or WW2.

The robust build quality of these pistols has ensured many have survived with the oval trigger variation being the most frequently found. Many were originally nickel plated which was a popular finish at the time although black finishes would also have been available.

Values are around the £60-£80 mark with boxed examples fetching over £100.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Before scrolling down the page and reading Brian's response, my first thought was the Dolla.

Such a distinctive shape, and little reason to copy it.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

KeithB

Post by KeithB » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Fair play Brian, you know your stuff. Iv'e obviously come to the right place / people. Many thanks, appreciated.

Best....

Keith.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:32 pm

KeithB wrote:Fair play Brian, you know your stuff. Iv'e obviously come to the right place / people. Many thanks, appreciated.

Best....

Keith.
Hi Keith,

Your thread has prompted me to take a more detailed look at your 'Dolla' and I have established the following:

The pistol is a fourth variant example distinguished from earlier versions in that it has a full oval trigger guard and the trigger itself is a full crescent rather than the previous open curve type.

Made by F.R. Langenhan, Zella Mehliss, Germany and possibly by Anschutz also of Zella Mehliss.

The pistol would have been available between 1927-1940 which overlaps with the third variant by a couple of years. Finish would have been nickelled or black lacquered with some adverts suggesting a blued version might have been available.

These pistols were produced in great numbers and often distributed by various suppliers as their own as they were rarely marked by the original makers. Very occasionally, one will turn-up with makers markings which makes them very desirable and of more historical interest.

Regards

Brian

KeithB

Post by KeithB » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:36 pm

Brian,
Once again, thanks for the info.

Best....

Keith.