FAS 6004 - arrival imminent.

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
FAS 6004 - arrival imminent.

Post by Tank » Wed May 21, 2014 5:22 pm

Just a "heads up" - Manchester Airguns will have examples of the new FAS 6004 in stock in four weeks time, so about the 18th of June. If you want one I suggest you get your orders in early as there is just bound to be a shortage. As with all things of this nature, this is an eagerly anticipated new arrival and I just think the manufacturers have under estimated the demand (again).
There are three versions I believe, the "Standard" and "Target" models with there being a medium and large version of the Target model.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Re: FAS 6004 - arrival imminent.

Post by kj68 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi Graham it would be nice if the new 6004 shoots anywhere as good as the 604. I hope so as it looks good to.

kj68 :think:
Happy Shooting

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Mon May 26, 2014 4:15 pm

kj68 wrote:Hi Graham it would be nice if the new 6004 shoots anywhere as good as the 604. I hope so as it looks good to.

kj68 :think:
'... looking good...' and shooting good have no connection. Take me for example. ;) :dance:
Sec/founder Rivington Riflemen. www.rivington-riflemen.eu

kj68
Marksman
Marksman

Post by kj68 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Evening Graham when you get chance it will be nice to get yr views on the FAS 6004 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

kj68 :)
Happy Shooting

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:18 pm

There here! :D
Picked mine up from B.A.R. yesterday and going to give it the once over on a 10m range tonight. :D

Vyand

Post by Vyand » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:06 pm

I'll definitely be interested to hear what you think of it.

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:47 pm

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airsnip ... rt=6&o=078

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airsnip ... rt=6&o=178

Very pleased with it so far. :D :dance: I took it to the 10m pistol range tonight and once set up, it was firing very high at first, I managed a very good group. (See first image). Both were 5 shot groups, single handed, 10m. A bit more tweaking and I managed the second ( I recon a 46. :think: ) I dare say :pray: I could tighten the group up with a bit of concentration and a selection of pellets (I only had R10s and MeisterK :shifty: ).
Personally, the example I have with my eyes is shooting little to high for my liking. I had to aim slightly lower than normal (Perhaps this isn't a bad thing :think: ) as I had lowered the rear sight as far as it would go. The cocking became easier, perhaps I was just getting used to it. The trigger, Ive not checked the pull weight, but it seems around the 500-600gm range and breaks clean so its O.K.. The build quality isn't as good as say a Steyr but then its a fraction of the price. Overall Im very pleased with it. :D

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:43 pm

If your thinking of buying a FAS6004 I would hold off for a while. :naughty:

My first impressions on accuracy were very good but I did mention it was shooting slightly higher at 10m than I liked. :think: So, on Thursday, I tried gently turning the elevation screw on the rear sight down and it stripped. I did stress GENTLY. :doh: I didn't use a screw drive but just a 5p coin. Now, maybe mine was a bad example but on closer examination it is a 2mm fine steel thread adjuster going into a tapped alloy block. NOT good engineering in my opinion. :naughty: Maybe someone with more engineering experience can comment on this practice. :think:
Also the adjuster holds down the pressure of two small springs and most people (NOT me ) would press upwards on the back sight to release the barrel. 2mm into alloy doesn't seem beefy enough for me. As an example Weihrauch use 5mm steel in steel on their rifle open sights. I dont know what the original FAS604 are built like and would like to see/hear about a comparison.

HTH
Ian

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:12 pm

So, last Thursday evening we had the pleasure of trying out a FAS6004 down at the club. Ken from Manchester Airguns brought it down for our appraisal and, well, just a general play about.
As Mr Jones has said, it shoots wonderfully. I shot a great group (you are just going to have to believe me - OK?) once I saw where it was landing the pellets.

We have a good selection of guns down the club so we were able to compare the build quality side by side with a Club favourite - the HW40. Although the HW40 is a terrific gun and very reliable the FAS6004 is in a league of it's own. Fine finish and heavy chrome to both Piston rod and Cylinder. The top is machined from billet aluminium and the catches are hardened.

I am conscious of Ian's issues with his particular gun but I will have to look into this sight thing. As far as the rest of the gun is concerned it is very firmly based on the earlier FAS604, on Friday we even fished a box of early front barrel weights out of the FAS604 spares box, they fit perfectly, the hole is still there right under the barrel for the fastening screw.

All in all a great gun with a trigger that has real potential. It is my feeling that the trigger is set at the factory so the new owner can really feel what a two stage trigger is like but not sensitive enough on the second stage to intimidate the owner.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Im glad you had a better experience with your example of 6004 than I had with mine. :( I cannot fault its accuracy, ( and, of course I believe you with regards to your great groups :liar: ) and, once I'd done a bit of adjustment with the trigger it was a nice unit that broke cleanly. I didn't have time to check the trigger pull weight but Im sure it was legal (above 500g).
What was your example like with regards to elevation adjustment in that were you able to lower the point of impact low enough at 10m? I would be interested in and appreciate your personal opinion when you have had the opportunity to examine it in more detail. Im still not keen on a 2mm steel adjuster going into 'billet alluminium'. :naughty:

ATB
Ian

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi lads, the original FAS 604 elevation screw is 3mm fine, I know this because the billet aluminium thread has been stripped on one of my 604's. I'm planning to re-tap this to either 3.5mm or 4mm fine and make a new screw. If the 6004 is only 2mm thread then this could be tapped out to 3mm and take a 604 screw.

Interesting that these pistols have been used for years already and as far as I'm aware this has not cropped up as a common fault.

Cheers,

Mick

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Again, perhaps my example was a rouge :( but 3mm does sound better but even that stripped on one of Mickens 604s so ............ :think:

The problem I saw with tapping out the adjuster hole was that the spring detent was next to the tapped hole so there wasn't enough meat :doh: unless you lost the detent.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 am

There is more than enough meat there Ian and frankly, if it is stripped a Helicoil would be the best answer. For instance, a 3mm Helicoil in aluminium is far stronger than a 3.5mm thread in the same aluminium, so there is another alternative solution Mick.

Just FYI Ian my group was around the Five ring about nine o'clock on the target so I needed no elevation adjustment just windage. Which I didn't do as the gun was not mine. I will have an opportunity to have a bit closer look tomorrow.
graham.

micken
Marksman
Marksman

Post by micken » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 am

Yes, I'd wondered about helicoiling it. I'll look into this and see what's available.

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:26 pm

The middle hole (top) is the one thats stripped. :roll: The two holes either side of it are for small springs. The pellet is just for size comparison.

The retailer has been in contact (several times :doh: ) with the manufacturer today trying to explain the situation. No luck as yet. :pray: I will keep you informed. :D

I dont consider myself to be heavy handed. Ive worked on dozens of Jap bikes from the 70s and 80s and their case fasteners are well known for stripping. O.K. so Ive mangled a few removing them with the impact driver, chisel etc :doh: but I cant remember over stripping any by over tightening. :naughty: Its called mechanical sympathy. :shifty: