A Newbie's dream pistol list to acquire

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
45flint
Plinker
Plinker
A Newbie's dream pistol list to acquire

Post by 45flint » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:42 pm

Just retired and have become fasinated with fine vintage air pistols. I have collected vintage cartridge pistols all my life, but I am finding I never really take time to go to and range and shoot. Air pistols give me the ability to shoot at home and still collect fine pistols. I was lucky to have my first vintage purchase to be a mint 1955 Walther LP53. It showed me how awesome these classic pistols were made. I have poured over Dennis Hiller's book on air pistols looking at all the possibilies that are out there.

My criteria:
1. It must look like a classic pistol. Yes the lastest precharged 10 meter Olympic type pistols may be superbly accurate but they look like space guns to me with canisters hanging from them. Lol. Not going there, I'm a home shooter and I want a pistols that looks like a firearm.
2. Power is immaterial and it seems to me the quest for it has distorted the look of many air pistols. I'm only shooting 25 feet most of the time.
3. I have a natural prejudice for finely crafted blued metal guns.

My quest list in order:
1. Tell Model 3: Though it looks like I will never have a chance to acquire one, this pistol hits my criteria dead center. Looks like a German firearm and in looking at the Utube below seems to lock up with such precision.
http://youtu.be/es_IazV5jxY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. The Haenel model 28: Looks like the same blued German precision. A totally strange cocking mechanism which fasinated me. And yes it will probably be obtainable.

3. Webley: not sure the model but it's got to be blued. Why? just because. But here it really starts to look like an air gun.

4. Hy-Score: looks like a pistol, very unique design, extremely obtainable, but would like possibly a Sportster with multiple barrel lengths. Or the English version.

Open to any suggestions.

pmh
Site Admin

Re: A Newbie's dream pistol list to acquire

Post by pmh » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:04 pm

I think everybody should own the legendary Original Model 10.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:51 pm

pmh wrote:I think everybody should own the legendary Original Model 10.

Kind regards,

Phil
Looked closely at the Original 10, very interesting pistol with no recoil tech. I never see it on the auction sites. The Feinwerkbau Model 65 caught my eye and is generally available here, no recoil as well. These do challenge one of my criteria of looking like a firearm. The Tell model 3 is almost totally stealth. The LP53 a close second looking almost like a Olympia.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:57 pm

45flint wrote:Just retired and have become fasinated with fine vintage air pistols. I have collected vintage cartridge pistols all my life, but I am finding I never really take time to go to and range and shoot. Air pistols give me the ability to shoot at home and still collect fine pistols. I was lucky to have my first vintage purchase to be a mint 1955 Walther LP53. It showed me how awesome these classic pistols were made. I have poured over Dennis Hiller's book on air pistols looking at all the possibilies that are out there.

My criteria:
1. It must look like a classic pistol. Yes the lastest precharged 10 meter Olympic type pistols may be superbly accurate but they look like space guns to me with canisters hanging from them. Lol. Not going there, I'm a home shooter and I want a pistols that looks like a firearm.
2. Power is immaterial and it seems to me the quest for it has distorted the look of many air pistols. I'm only shooting 25 feet most of the time.
3. I have a natural prejudice for finely crafted blued metal guns.

My quest list in order:
1. Tell Model 3: Though it looks like I will never have a chance to acquire one, this pistol hits my criteria dead center. Looks like a German firearm and in looking at the Utube below seems to lock up with such precision.
http://youtu.be/es_IazV5jxY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. The Haenel model 28: Looks like the same blued German precision. A totally strange cocking mechanism which fasinated me. And yes it will probably be obtainable.

3. Webley: not sure the model but it's got to be blued. Why? just because. But here it really starts to look like an air gun.

4. Hy-Score: looks like a pistol, very unique design, extremely obtainable, but would like possibly a Sportster with multiple barrel lengths. Or the English version.

Open to any suggestions.
Hello,

I too used to shoot cartridge firing pistols until the breech loading ban when I started to take more of an an interest in air guns although I still shoot muzzle loading revolvers.

I guess my background of live firearms also led to a preference for 'firearm' quality air pistols manufactured from steel and with a high standard of blue finish. If you take a browse through the some of the previous threads in the air pistol section of the forum you will find some of my observations on the pistols I am lucky enough to have in my collection.

Although I don't shoot the rarer ones regularly, all have been used at least once for comparison purposes if nothing else.

I have tested most of the major classic spring powered air pistols and without doubt the Webley range represent the best compromise between owning something collectable while continuing to shoot it regularly. I prefer the appearance of the pre-war Webley pistols but the Premier from the sixties is the best model in terms of accuracy, power etc and still retains the trigger adjustment weight from the Mk1.

The Tell 3 is very rare and consequently expensive and while the Haenal 28 is more readily available, cocking the pistol is awkward and both these pistols are quite low powered.

The Hyscore is an interesting design and is the only spring powered pistol I'm aware of that can be dry fired, but once again is awkward to cock which can be a bit of a pain if shot regularly. The UK produced Hyscore pistols are made to a better standard than the U.S. models and the cased sets with two barrels and dummy silencer make a nice set.

Regards

Brian

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:48 pm

Brian, we certainly see it the same way. There is a Webley Premier being sold near me, may take your advice.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi,
In my opinion the earlier,all steel Premiers represent the best value. The approximate age of the model can be determined by an uppercase letter stamped on the left hand side of the frame just below the trigger guard. The letters ranged from A to F with earlier A & B pistols having four pin trigger arrangements rather than the five pins on the later examples. The pistol was first introduced in 1964 and continued until the alloy frame Mk2 pistols appeared in the mid seventies. The A & B stamped pistols are most sought after by collectors and consequently attract slightly higher prices. If possible, I would recommend that you try to a get hold of a Premier in the range A to D, but not the later models which were not all given a blued finish, and certainly not a Mk2. Although the Senior lacks the adjustable trigger, it would still be a better bet than the latter Premiers.

I would also recommend you go for .177 rather than .22 if you have a choice in calibre. As far as the best pellet is concerned, I have found H&N Pistol Match (wadcutter) perform the best, but these are quite expensive and RWS Hobby (also wadcutter) can provide a much cheaper alternative for informal target shooting.

Hope this helps

Regards
Brian

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:05 pm

Another reason I would like to collect the Haenel 28 is that it was the only air pistol designed by Hugo Schmisser who was a German firearms designer of considerable note. He designed the STG 44, the first assault rifle. He was captured by the Russians and was taken to Russia. Many think he was the real brains behind the AK47.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:34 pm

Hi,

The Haenal 28 is certainly a nice pistol to own from a purely collecting viewpoint and the likeness to the Luger pistols also adds to the interest. However, the foresight can really start to hurt the palm of the hand when cocking the pistol for a continuous shooting session.

I have a nice, boxed example pictured here, which wasn't too difficult to aquire. Below that is picture of my large and small frame Hubertus pistols which are also of German 'firearm' quality, but hopeless from a cocking and shooting point of view. The last picture is of my rather tired Tell 3 which I only purchased inorder to obtain an example rather than a pistol of collectable standard. It shoots OK though and is a lot easier to cock than the Haenal 28.

Haenal 28

Hubertus

Tell 3

Regards

Brian

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:34 pm

Awesome! I think you guys on that side of the Atlantic have a better shot at getting these collectables. I was looking at the Hubertus as well. The US was dominated by cheap pump pistols and air guns were for kids.

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:51 pm

45flint wrote:Awesome! I think you guys on that side of the Atlantic have a better shot at getting these collectables. I was looking at the Hubertus as well. The US was dominated by cheap pump pistols and air guns were for kids.
I guess U.S designed air pistols were made in far greater numbers than those originating from the U.K. so we don't have too much trouble finding some of the more interesting ones. I have a small collection of Crosman and Benjamin pistols which I enjoy shooting, especially the Crosman 150 which is a pleasure to shoot.

Maybe you could post some pictures of your Walther LP53 which is also a much sought after air pistol in the U.K.

Regards

Brian

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:45 pm

Certus wrote:
45flint wrote:Awesome! I think you guys on that side of the Atlantic have a better shot at getting these collectables. I was looking at the Hubertus as well. The US was dominated by cheap pump pistols and air guns were for kids.
I guess U.S designed air pistols were made in far greater numbers than those originating from the U.K. so we don't have too much trouble finding some of the more interesting ones. I have a small collection of Crosman and Benjamin pistols which I enjoy shooting, especially the Crosman 150 which is a pleasure to shoot.

Maybe you could post some pictures of your Walther LP53 which is also a much sought after air pistol in the U.K.

Regards
Brian
Look at posting about 4 down from this I posted on the new to me LP53. See the accessory section where I made a custom case. Went nuts with that one. Lol

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:13 am

45flint wrote:Another reason I would like to collect the Haenel 28 is that it was the only air pistol designed by Hugo Schmisser who was a German firearms designer of considerable note. He designed the STG 44, the first assault rifle. He was captured by the Russians and was taken to Russia. Many think he was the real brains behind the AK47.
Actually Hugo Schmeisser was far more inventive than that when it came to air pistols, and between 1925 an 1941 he took out 11 airgun patents in Germany, many of which concerned air pistols. In fact he was the main driving force behind all of Haenel's pre-War range of air pistols. Additional to the Haenel 28, hewas responsible for developing the almost mythical precursor Haenel 27, the Haenel 28R (repeater version of the 28), the Haenel 26, and the Haenels 50, 51 and 100. However, of these only the 27, 28 and 28R would satisfy the criteria you are looking for. No example of the 27 is yet known. There is a very small number of factory modified Haenel 28's with extended barrels, but the chances of finding one are slimmer than finding a mint boxed Tell 3.

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Well, my list is now shorter, just bought a Hy-Score 800 looks like new in the box. Probably a very early 1950s. Arrives tomorrow. It was certainly the most obtainable gun on my list and not very expensive. But it was the only Anerican Spring pistol design and is very unique. Be interested in how it is in the flesh. Two down.

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:19 am

45flint wrote:it was the only American Spring pistol design and is very unique.
Not so - there were the Ranco/Targ-Aire pistols, and the Crosman V300 pistol. Both of these used the backstrap of the grip as the cocking lever.
Also the Harris Marksman pistol, and the Healthways Top Score 175.

45flint
Plinker
Plinker

Post by 45flint » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Very good! Looked all of them up, think the Hy-Score is the only one I care to own. The article I read said it was the only adult spring pistol made in America? Either a comment of quality of the others or he was just wrong.
Last edited by 45flint on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.