Original Model 10

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Good point on transportation.

My case is virtually mint, and this is one item that is practically impossible to replace.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Post by zooma » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Ian collected my Diana Model 10 from Dave's emporium  today - now he has whacked the barrel with a lump of wood he reckons it won't shoot too low anymore, so tomorrow night it should be in MPL action!

Most Model 10's have bent barrels - they are a bit soft  - and depending on the previous owners cocking strength and technique it could be bent upwards or downwards.

I have one of each (!) - or at least I did - hopefully I only have one left now that needs a skilful clout as it has the more typical upwards bent banana barrel and shoots nicely - but too high !
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

zooma

Diana is now OK

Post by zooma » Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 pm

I took my Diana Model 10 down to RMTC last night to see if Daves magic hammer had done it any good.

The first few shots were all over the place until it stopped chucking out smoke and gave me a chance to make some sensible sight adjustments.

Things picked up after 20 - 30 shots, and keeping everything in the black at 10 meters started to look good.

Now my other Model 10 has gone to have its barrel clouted by Dave in the opposite direction to see if we can get that one working well too!

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Sun May 05, 2013 9:39 am

Bent barrels on break barrels tend to bend upwards due to being fired when the barrel is broken or being let go during cocking.

But I had an old battered mod 6 that shot 5" high at 6 yds with rear sight in lowest position. I couldn't discern an actual bend on the barrel but I read that barrel alignment on older Dianas depends on the thickness of the breech seal, and that's why they have shims underneath. Don't know if this is true or not.

zooma

Post by zooma » Sun May 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Adam77K:2794 wrote:Bent barrels on break barrels tend to bend upwards due to being fired when the barrel is broken or being let go during cocking.

But I had an old battered mod 6 that shot 5" high at 6 yds with rear sight in lowest position. I couldn't discern an actual bend on the barrel but I read that barrel alignment on older Dianas depends on the thickness of the breech seal, and that's why they have shims underneath. Don't know if this is true or not.
Most break barrel pistols have a safety device to stop the barrel snapping shut if the trigger is inadvertently pulled during cocking, and the Model 10 does have this safety device fitted.

However, the Model 10 does have a heavy duty barrel locking detent, and when coupled with a soft metal barrel, years of heavy handed use in either direction when opening or closing the breach is the most likely cause of the bent barrels.

I had one Model 10 with the barrel bent upwards and one with it bent downwards, and both had the same breach seal protrusion and when the cocking swivel sleeve was removed a straight edge clearly showed one barrel bent upwards and the other downwards.

Both of these pistols are in superb condition and have no outward signs of any abuse, and when this is coupled with the fairly large number of other Model 10 pistols that have been reported with this same problem over the years I think the way the owners cock the pistols is the biggest influence on whether they have a bent barrel or not.

Fortunately it is not too difficult to fix as the soft barrel is fairly easy to tap back straight, and with careful use from a respectful owner it will probably never need doing again, whereas heavy handed use could cause a repeat problem.

Now these are increasingly sought after collectors pistols the curent crop of Model 10 owners are likely to take good care of them.

zooma

Re: Original Model 10

Post by zooma » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 pm

My second Model 10 ( this one is the later Mk2 variant) has now also been collected for me by Ian ( thanks IJ) after being skilfully clouted by a big lump of wood in the opposite direction to the Diana Model 10 ( early Mk1 type).

The man wielding the lump of wood is our favorite pistol repair man Dave Mercer, who has now got this Model 10 working and shooting "just right".

I did notice that this freshly rebuilt and resealed pistol is not dieseling as most fresh rebuilds do, and the enclosed 10 meter target shot by Dave tends to suggest that he may have spent some time shooting it - so it is nicely run-in and ready to go!

The 10 metre target was actually quite impressive ( again) so lets hope Dave can be persuaded to enter the 6 yard postal competition as I think he would enjoy it, and he has the space to shoot it at home with no problems .

.......so lets get plenty of emails on the way to Dave inviting him to shoot in this postal competition - and lets hope he will have a go as it would be great to have him shoot with us all.

zooma

Get another case Phil and shoot your Model 10

Post by zooma » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:32 pm

pmh wrote:Good point on transportation.

My case is virtually mint, and this is one item that is practically impossible to replace.

Kind regards, Phil
I bought myself a spare new Steyr pistol case from Buinger and found it easy to modify to take a Model 10 pistol. :clap:

Although the fitted Model 10 case is very "collectable" - it is a bit too big to carry to the range with all the other "stuff" I always end up taking with me every trip, and it is not particularly robust either, so the slightly modified Steyr case is the ideal solution as it is a lot smaller and tougher than the orignal manufacturers display case these pistols often (but not always) came in - easier to carry and probably lighter too! :dance:

So now Phil has another one of his reasons for not bringing his Model 10 out to play each week shot down :hand:

Lets hope he can be tempted to drag his Model 10 out of the house and into the club as he will absolutely love shooting it - and we all know that no Giss system pistol will grow old gracefully and they definitely do not benefit from being left idle - they need the exercise ! :naughty:

The Model 10 will make a superb choice to use in the 6 yard postal competition - and it would ensure it gets used at least once a month ( that is only 12 times in a year Phil - not enough to wear it out!). :whistle:

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Good point about the 6 yard MPL.

I will have to give it a go to see how I get on. It is a cumbersome gun though, especially for my petite frame. :character-cartman:

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

zooma

Post by zooma » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:49 pm

pmh wrote:Good point about the 6 yard MPL.

I will have to give it a go to see how I get on. It is a cumbersome gun though, especially for my petite frame. :character-cartman:

Kind regards,

Phil
Ha - your petite frame is a lot bigger than my old and aged (did I mention knackered?) petite frame, so get 'yer Model 10 out and lets bring some real classy atmosphere to this classic retro competition by using these genuine gems from the '70's.

I will bring mine on Thursday - so lets get some synchronised Model 10 music flowing in the old church hall again :clap:

With GT and his Model 65 banging out the backing sounds it will be just like the good old NARPA days - it will remind me of the RAF Cosford finals all over again.

Lets go for it! :dance: