Best classic

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer
Best classic

Post by zunmik » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:49 am

For me its the Hammerli Master does the job, and its got the looks closely followed by the Original (Diana) 6M, whats yours? M.

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Best Classic Air Pistol ?

Post by zooma » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:30 pm

The Hammerli Master when fitted with its wooden anatomical grip is a nice pistol to include in this catalogue of "best classic air pistol", but the two most dramatic air pistol designs for me are the Diana/Original Model 10 and the TAU 7 Match.

Both had designs that could blow your mind at the time as they were so "futuristic" looking and so different from the "norm".

Although the Giss system was a revelation the Model 6 design never did much for me (in any of its versions), but when the Model 10 came along it was love at first sight.

The Walther LP53 has to be an icon, but for me there can only be one true candidate for the mantle of "Best Classic Air Pistol" and that has to be the Feinwerkbau Model 65. There has been nothing like it before or since that has has such a lasting effect on the air pistol scene.

The FWB 65 is dead - long live the FWB 65.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

ikarma70

Re: Best classic

Post by ikarma70 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:02 pm

My classic is my fwb80.

Its a july 1981 example and in good condition.

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Mon May 20, 2013 10:15 am

I think the FWB 65 falls down on the side lever cocking.
Prefer my Original 10m.

Luckily I like all my classic pistols and my favourite is the one I am shooting.

At the moment I am feeling a bit Schimel.
I miss the tricky loading and the Big Bang!

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Mon May 20, 2013 2:32 pm

I have considered this for some time now and although I love - and shoot - my FWB68 and 80 pistols, I have been giving this some serious consideration and I have decided it is the "Gat"
This pistol is probably responsible for bringing more people into the sport than any other asnd for that reason it is my nomination.
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.
https://tamesidepistol.club/

zooma

Post by zooma » Mon May 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Tank wrote:I have considered this for some time now and although I love - and shoot - my FWB68 and 80 pistols, I have been giving this some serious consideration and I have decided it is the "Gat"
This pistol is probably responsible for bringing more people into the sport than any other asnd for that reason it is my nomination.

That is certainly an alternative "take" on the subject - and you may well be right about it being responsible for bringing more people into the sport than any other ( especially if you include all the other GAT-like pop-out pistols such as my first Diana tinplate Model 2).

................but for me the BEST Classic air pistol will always be the iconic Feinwerkbau Model 65.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:27 am

zooma wrote: ................but for me the BEST Classic air pistol will always be the iconic Feinwerkbau Model 65.

Well, I would struggle to argue with that because I have two of them and no "Gat"!
However, a Diana tinplate did appear on my radar but the outrageous sum of £285 was being asked for it :shock:
graham.
I’m going off to go find myself. If I’m not back by the time I return, keep me here.

mrto

Post by mrto » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:04 am

To choose I guess has a lot to do with when you were born.My first experience with an air pistol as far as I can remember back in the mid 60's was with the above mentioned Gats.

The classic I would choose though, and probably because it was the first brand new air pistol that I ever bought
would be the Webley Premier MK1.

To me it has everything a classic air pistol should from the English perspective,wondereful build quality,compactness and reasonable accuracy and a tremendous pedigree!

Certus
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Certus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:41 am

For me the pre-war "Slant Grip" Webley "Senior" represents the best combination of classic appearance and functionality. This basic design has been in use from 1924 and has required little significant modification right up to the present day. The Lincoln Jeffries / BSA underlever rifle (patented 1904) provided a similar enduring design concept which can also still be found in todays modern air rifles.

Regard

Brian

zooma

Post by zooma » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Tank wrote:
zooma wrote: ................but for me the BEST Classic air pistol will always be the iconic Feinwerkbau Model 65.

Well, I would struggle to argue with that because I have two of them and no "Gat"!
However, a Diana tinplate did appear on my radar but the outrageous sum of £285 was being asked for it :shock:

Wow - £285 for a tinplate Diana pop-out ?...............you could have mine for £284 and save yourself a quid :lol:

I know there are not so many about in nice condition any more - but £285 is outrageous

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:51 pm

zooma wrote: Wow - £285 for a tinplate Diana pop-out ?...............you could have mine for £284 and save yourself a quid :lol:

I know there are not so many about in nice condition any more - but £285 is outrageous

I must say, I was quite shocked. I happened to be passing a very well known major dealer that I hadn't visited in probably twenty years. I was very disappointed at what I found and no interest was really being directed at the shop which is large but frankly looked shabby. The only thing of interest seemed to be "the Internet" - which is fine but if you are going to have premises at least show a little interest.

First impressions still count for a lot!
graham.

RobinC

Post by RobinC » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:05 am

There is no choice, its clearly the FWB 65! It revolutionised target shooting, it was both a superb design and beautifully made, a true piece of genuius.
For many many years at competition level they were the only pistol to have. All world records were held with it, the Ladies 10 mt world record was shot with one in 1972 by Nina Stolyarova at 391 ex 400, just think about it you boys shooting classics now, that's near enough a 98 average! She shot with a 65 using the old black plastic grips and a bit of filler, no nice walnut adjustable grips! To put it into context the current Ladies world record is 393 shot with a PCP Steyr LP10.

Tank
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Post by Tank » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 am

RobinC wrote: To put it into context the current Ladies world record is 393 shot with a PCP Steyr LP10.

Several hundreds of thousands of pounds - and two points!

It really does put it in context.
graham.

I.J.
Marksman
Marksman

Post by I.J. » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 am

Yep! My vote also goes for the FWB65. :clap: The 'Giss' system pistols are O.K. but there can be problems with the barrel line up. :think:

As for the Gat. True, it introduced a lot of people into shooting but I bet it also put a few people off! :roll: Personally, I wouldn't give a Webley pistol house room. :naughty:

The Hammerli pistols are nice and ooze quality. :drool:

ATB
Ian :D
Sec/founder Rivington Riflemen. www.rivington-riflemen.eu

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Another vote for the FWB65! I love the sliding action concept, simple, elegant and efficient.

The Giss system Diana pistols are great but they lack the elegance of the FWB. The Giss system makes for a sweet action but it bothers me that half the mechanical action essentially goes to waste - the rear piston does nothing apart from counterbalance the main one. Why does it bother me? Dunno... maybe because I just don't like waste.

If it worked like a Whiscombe that would be great... but it would be a struggle to put it in a manageable package in an air pistol.