Crosman 38T CO2 revolver

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter
Crosman 38T CO2 revolver

Post by Ian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm

The Crosman 38T was  produced from 1964 to 1976. It was  initially designed as a training pistol for the American air force and was used for this purpose until the end of the 60's. The first variant is all metal - alloy and brass, where as the second variant produced from 73 to 76 has a plastic rear sight and cylinder.

The 38T is based on a Smith & Wesson K38 Combat Masterpiece .38 cartridge pistol and available in .177 and .22 calibers.

Like the Umarex S&W that came much later the rear of the cylinder is a dummy with only the front section rotating. Unlike the Umarex the revolving part of the chamber can not be swung out or removed. Pellets are loaded through a port in the side of the dummy cylinder and pushed home with a small lever. It hold 6 pellets. Loading is fiddly until you have developed the knack - it is then straightforward. The barrel is rifled.

I picked this example up last year. Despite the fact that it was leaking CO2 and had a broken rear sight - I was drawn to it by the fact that it had its original box and all of the various papers that came with it new. Its a .22 1964 model.

Its been with Nick Hulme for a while for sorting. He fitted custom seals and made and fitted a new brass rear sight - I cannot commend his work too highly. The rear sight is superb and the gun shoots perfectly. I dont have a chrono but judging by the way it flattens .22 pellets against a metal plate at 10 yards I reckon it is producing a healthy amount of ft/lb

It had been my intention to put this up for sale once it was sorted but after spending some time shooting it I am now not so sure. Its a surprisingly accurate pistol (especially shot single action) and handles very nicely indeed - much better than a Umarex S&W in my view.

An old friend of mine came to visit me yesterday - he used to shoot cartridge pistols before the ban and regularly used S&W's. He had a go with the Crosman in my garage and was really taken with it - he said that apart from the lack of recoil and noise it felt just like how he remembers them.

Despite my earlier thoughts re selling it I may well hang on to this, its a great pistol

Last edited by Ian on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zunmik
Pistoleer
Pistoleer

Xman

Post by zunmik » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Great best thing i've seen on hear for a long time, what i thought were all about, anymore like this to come (i hope), M. 8)  :D
WALTHER LP3],Etc[/b], G0JVB ex G6MUI.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Excellent post indeed, and we certainly need more of the same.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Mon May 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Daysiter dots now fitted to help ageing eyes!

Easy to fit and stay put with a dab of superglue to seal them - easy to remove however!

I need all the help I can get!

Whenever I shoot this pistol I am amazed at the accuracy - considering it is multi shot .22

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Mon May 06, 2013 4:46 pm

My eyes are now starting to go close up, a sign of age I'm afraid.

The nite sighters certainly help though, and look well.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

cinedux
Plinker
Plinker

Re: Crosman 38T CO2 revolver

Post by cinedux » Wed May 08, 2013 3:09 am

gingernut
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gingernut » Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 am

I have the 38 t and the c.
Both in .22.
Big Crosman fan but I prefer the Daisy 44.
Easier to load with removable mag more accurate and easier to fix.
Not seen many around, may not be as well built as Crosman.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Crosman 38T 003a.jpg
broken rear sight #3
Ian,

Your description of your Crosman 38T sounds just like my father's Crosman 38T that he has owned since the early to mid-70's: leaking seals and a broken rear sight! I contacted a local dealer in air pistols and he quoted a price of $CDN 62.00 (40 pounds) to repair the seals.

Unfortunately he is not able to obtain a replacement part for the rear sight. From what I've read, I think the 38T is worth fixing. Even though the Crosman 3576W can be purchased new in Canada for about $CDN 75.00 (47 pounds).

Do you have any recommendations for the rear sight, other than having a custom sight built?
Attachments
Crosman 38T 009c.jpg
broken rear sight #1
Crosman 38T 007a.jpg
broken rear sight #2

gab
Plinker
Plinker

Post by gab » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:42 am

Hello jim, i just sent you contact information via PM of someone in Canada that may be able to help you out.

Leonardj
Marksman
Marksman

Post by Leonardj » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:59 am

This cased set of chrome plated 38Ts, with the rare black grips have never been fired.
They were purchased from the original owner, who fabricated the presentation case.

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:48 am

Very nice presentation at there Leonard.

Sadly, I have never seen anything similar on offer here in England.

With regards to spares, I checked Chambers, who are our main goto people, and they all only showing springs, screws, etc.

I do hope Jim manages to get it sorted, as it would then be another classic back in circulation.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Thanks gab, Len for your replies and help. I'll try and take my father (83 years old) and the Crosman 38T to the range tomorrow and see how the Crosman shoots. It's probably been over thirty years since I've fired it; my father has used it more recently than me.

I'll let you know how it goes!