Target Recoiling Springer

A place to discuss and share pictures, reviews, of your pistols.
leadhead
Target Recoiling Springer

Post by leadhead » Tue May 14, 2013 7:58 am

Gentlemen
My regular pistols, FWB P80, LP5, FAS 604. All enjoyed, but recently started to think about acquiring a recoiling spring target pistol.
And there I was a bit stumped. What would I search for????
Genuine request for input here.

zooma
Lifetime Contributor to Shooting

Re: Target Recoiling Springer

Post by zooma » Tue May 14, 2013 8:40 am

The GAMO Centre has proven to be the most competitive "kicker" in the MPL series by far and so is most definitely the one to go for.

The Falcon and Target variants of this pistol share the same action and are also capable of top results.
Feinwerkbau P40 Tricolour wanted.........still !
http://www.bobsairguns .com - proud to host the RMTC site since April 2011.

leadhead

Post by leadhead » Tue May 14, 2013 9:01 am

Well! I guess that's the value of asking here.
Never used one and would not have considered it before.
Anyone have one for sale?

zooma

Post by zooma » Tue May 14, 2013 9:51 am

I have an almost mint condition Falcon that has hardly ever been used from new, and I would sell this to you for £70.00 if it was of any interest to you - but it is easy to find Falcons in "well used" condition for less if you shop around.

One of the few times this Falcon has been shot was when I used to to gain the clubs highest score during one of the MPL rounds last year (check the MPL thread on BBS for more details) so it does shoot well, but it will need plenty of practice to get used to it (like all "kickers") after your more sophisticated regular pistols.

.................and this one will get even better if it has some regular use as it still feels quite "new".

So now you have one offer on the table to consider, you can see what else is out there in the GAMO underlever line and see what you can find.

leadhead

Post by leadhead » Tue May 14, 2013 10:42 am

Thank you for the offer. Looked at UTube vids. Bit of a departure from my normal line. But will keep an open mind.
I will pop up to the Bisley Fair next week to see what presents itself.
Hope you don't mind, before I commit to you.

zooma

Post by zooma » Tue May 14, 2013 10:47 am

No problem whatsoever - it is best to take a good look around to see what options are available to you - but I would strongly suggest you try at least one member of the GAMO underlever family as they really are good reliable and accurate workhorses that can ( and mostly always do) out-score any of the rival "kickers".

pmh
Site Admin

Post by pmh » Tue May 14, 2013 6:06 pm

The Gamo range, notably the: Centre, Falcon, and Target are very worthy pistols. The Target is a little more tricky to track down as they are quite rare.

A more modern springer of note is the Baikal MP -53M.

I currently use one in the MPL, and one is used in our benchrest competition.

Kind regards,

Phil
M0KPH
I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
>>North Manchester Target Club<<

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 am

I wanted a Gamo underlever as a teenager but either couldn't afford it or when I could, more "exciting" kit was then available. If I was going to get one I'd be looking for the target with the anatomical grips, but very little is on my shopping list at the moment. What are they like to shoot in terms of trigger, recoil, smoothness? I love shooting springers but hate any twang, buzz or resonance.

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 am

It is a very accurate pistol indeed.

The kick is straight and (I find) easy to brace against without the shot going awry. The problem I find is that there are always flyers. Often I will be shooting a group of 7s and up and then a flyer spins out to the 2s or lower. I've tried to figure out why this is so. My Centre is in very good nick and still kept in its original box etc.

I think that what I must be doing is deforming the tail of the pellet when I close the breech (which drops out sideways to load and slides back in likewise). Or maybe given the fact that the pellet resides in the breech and not in the barrel before firing means that a slight miss-alignment of the two will result in the flyers mentioned. This is a problem may need to be fixed with my gun only, I realise, but it means that I won't be using my Centre for the next MPL. (I get better scores with my Walther LP53)

zooma

Post by zooma » Wed May 15, 2013 11:58 am

I have started to collect LP53 air pistols recently, but have yet to explore their target accuracy - but I am very surprised and impressed that they may be capable of scoring as well as the undoubtable class leader in the kicker class - the GAMO underlevers.

Now I can't wait to get one of the new ballistic target holders fixed to the garage wall so I can see if I can replicate this high level of accuracy - I certainly hope so as I admit to having a bit of a "thing" for the Walther LP53 pistols at the moment.

I will need to test and see what pellets they like the best, but so far I have found that all of the "classic" pistols seem to respond best to the "classic" Meisterkugeln pellets that were the best during the similar time period - so I guess there is some understandable logic in the results I can see when using them in "classic" pistols now.

Nyctophiliac

Post by Nyctophiliac » Wed May 15, 2013 2:34 pm

zooma wrote: I am very surprised and impressed that they may be capable of scoring as well as the undoubtable class leader in the kicker class - the GAMO underlevers.
Me too. Watch me crash and burn with mine in the MPL!!!

zooma wrote:I will need to test and see what pellets they like the best, but so far I have found that all of the "classic" pistols seem to respond best to the "classic" Meisterkugeln pellets that were the best during the similar time period - so I guess there is some understandable logic in the results I can see when using them in "classic" pistols now.
Apparently these are the same as the H&N pellets. I have a couple of tins on their way to me now.

ikarma70

Post by ikarma70 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:45 am

Personally i would buy an original mod.5 .177.

Its quality, well build and doesnt recoil too bad iirc.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat May 18, 2013 8:36 am

ikarma70 wrote:Personally i would buy an original mod.5 .177.

Its quality, well build and doesnt recoil too bad iirc.
Quite agree.

Lovely trigger.

My first air pistol was a Model 5 bought new from Bagnel & Kirkwood in Newcastle around 1970

Adam77K
Plinker
Plinker

Post by Adam77K » Sat May 18, 2013 9:42 am

I've always had a hankering after an HW70, but I've never shot one.

Ian
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Post by Ian » Sat May 18, 2013 9:57 am

Adam77K wrote:I've always had a hankering after an HW70, but I've never shot one.
I had one for a couple of weeks as I agreed to help a chap on the IPAS circuit sell it (he wasnt up to speed with photo hosting and accessing BBS etc)

I didnt particularly take to it - weight wise it felt too light for me, the quality of finish on the grips seemed poor and the trigger was harsh

Perhaps it was a Friday afternoon one?